Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

smell of smoke and burning in eyes with headache

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hi. I'm new here and I have just been reading some posts about the same strange problem I have. I keep smelling smoke. I've just had a nasty viral chest infection that lasted 2 months and then out of nowhere I started to smell smoke.. with a burning sensation in my eyes. I saw my GP who asked for a sample that I managed to produce (have a bit of mucus in the back of my throat) it came back clear. he gave me a nasal spray (doesn't work) I also have a mild headache and feel foggy in my head. Can someone shed any further light on this please?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2008
Supporter
When do you smell the smoke? Is it all the time? Certain times of the day? During certain activities?
|

replied January 27th, 2008
Since I've been on the antibiotics it has stopped for the odd day or two but is still there nearly all day. When I wake in the morning the smell is not present usually so my GP thinks its a sinus problem ie they drain when I lie down and then fill up when I am walking around. Its realy weird but seems to be quite common.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I clear my sinuses with saline solution...it's just a pinch of seas salt (no additiives) and the cleanest water available (spring water is best b/c mineral water has...well, minerals). Then, I add the solution to a little pot made for the purpose and pour from one nostril through the sinuses and out the other. If your sinuses are draining, it might help you to clean them daily. The special little pot is called a neti pot. It comes from India, I believe...but it's made and sold in the West, too. Metal is best. My ceramic one broke when I was traveling.
|

Thank you very much for that information. I will definately try what you suggest.

I will let you know.

Kind regards,

Patti
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I also swear by the nasal cleansing. It's called "jala neti" I believe. No more sinus infections at all during the winter!
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2008
Supporter
Any update about treatment ideas or solutions? Have you noticed any progress, Patti?
|

replied January 31st, 2009
sinus smells
I have also had chronic sinus infections and a week after I finish the antibiotic I start to smell a strange mettalic/electrical at night when I'm laying down. I also have post nasal drip and use the netti pot to do a morning rinse. My Dr. is going to scrape/drain my sinus in a few weeks and I am wondering if that will help? LK
|

replied October 28th, 2009
Dry sinuses
Patti, I also have the smoke smell in my nose. I am so dry and irritated with each inhalation thru my nose that I can't sleep well. Neti pots have not helped me. The only things that work is breathing in air while leaning over a humidifier and any menthol scent, even menthol cough drops,,,but it is all so temporary. Do you have the dryness? and are there any menthol type nasal spray, without decongestants as I am not congested at all. Debbie
|

replied January 27th, 2012
Burning smell
I am wondering if any of you used Mucinex or Azelastine Nasal Spray before the onset. I am having same problem....but it has been since I used Mucinex Chest Congestion DM last weekend. Right before that I used this Azelastine Nasal spray for the first time. At first I thought I was just imaging things...but it smells like the aftermath of burnt leaves or something!
|

replied October 3rd, 2012
I used Mucinex last week and have been having the smoky sensation since, too! It's not really a SMELL of smoke, more the sensation of being in a bar (when they used to allow smoking) and feeling that burning, smoky SENSATION in my face and upper chest. I wonder if it's the Mucinex. I never connected that until I read your post, aggyaggy1. Thanks! I haven't used it in over a week. Hopefully it will go away. Very annoying. Hope you're doing better....
|