Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Microgestin 1/20 side effects (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I am in my 5th month of microgestin fe 1/20, and don't really feel like myself. i cry at EVERYTHING, and i never used to cry...ever. and i feel super tired all the time, and depressed. I get upset more easily, definitely more sensitive. my boobs feel like they weigh about 10 lbs each. i have gained almost 12 lbs, even though my diet hasn't changed and I am constantly exercising.

also, i just missed a period, even though i took all my pills last month. i did take three pills late, but not in a row. i usually take them at at 1 a.m., but forgot, and woke up in the morning and took it.

is it normal to have these side effects?

thank you....
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper paradoxerweise
|

replied January 14th, 2008
Microgestin 1/20
I have been on Microgestin 1/20 pills going on my 3rd month. I had break through bleeding the 1st two months and now in my 3rd month I seem to be skipping a period all together. My boobs are KILLING ME!!! They feel super heavy and hurt so very badly. I have not missed a single pill. Any that I didn't take at the same exact time as the previous day I took early the next morning. This is my first experience with birth control for this long of a time. I'm on Weight Watchers and doing well BUT I have gained 10 pounds since I started taking birth control. I started out taking the Yaz and it totally was too strong for me. I took that for 2 months then started the Microgestin 1/20. I feel for anyone taking BC. I'm only taking it because we don't have maternity ins. coverage so if we got pregnant we would be totally screwed.
I cry so easily on this medicine too!!! Everything just about makes me cry.
I'm thinking I need to give up coffee now to help with the breast pain. That's the only caffeine I get but I think it's bugging my boobs.
|

replied July 7th, 2011
Microgestin 1/20
oh my gosh. i was taking loestin forn 2 month,and i did not get my period. i started microgestin 1/20, and i got my period super light.(it is normal for birth control)i am on weight watchers too and non of my clothing fits me any more. i have jumped from size 4 to 8.i watch my diet, and excersice even more than before. My breast got bigger too. This month, my period came later than usual.For 7 month i am just crying and do not wanna go out. sorry, i really understand you.
|

replied July 7th, 2011
Microgestin 1/20
oh my gosh. i was taking loestin for 2 month,and i did not get my period. i started microgestin 1/20, and i got my period super light.(it is normal for birth control)i am on weight watchers too and non of my clothing fits me any more. i have jumped from size 4 to 8.i watch my diet, and excersice even more than before. My breast got bigger too. This month, my period came later than usual.For 7 month i am just crying and do not wanna go out. sorry, i really understand you.
|

replied February 8th, 2012
I just finished my 3rd month of microgestin 1/20 and am switching to a different birth control because it made me cry so easily and made me depressed. I did not have the boob pain but during my 2nd and 3rd pack i was taking my pills very inconsistenly and I had bleeding around the second week of my pack and this month I skipped my period, its making me very nervous but feeling better to read that you skipped yours your third month to
|

replied March 19th, 2012
there has been a recall on microgestin and some other BCs several months ago due to packaging error.. i'm thinking the dosage in the pills are wrong. I've been taking microgestin for a few years now and it was fantastic until just a few months ago, i started feeling easily angered and irritated ..and depressed. it's been ongoing even til now. i am going to stop taking the pill and get my body back to normal.. i'm exercising more than before with little results. this hormonal imbalance is killing my life.

is anyone else aware of this recall? and feeling similar to the way i am?
|

replied May 6th, 2012
There was a recall on microgestin?? I just got on this dang pill like not even 3months ago and all I've been experiencing are soo many bad side effects and now where I have difficulty breathing..
|

replied June 23rd, 2012
I switched from Beyaz, due to being nauseated once and making the mistake of calling my OBGYN and getting a different doctor who prescribed me this devil in a pill called Gildess. I have been on the generic version of Micro called Gildess FE 1.5/30 for 1 month. I have been crying at the drop of a dime about anything and everything. I am OVERLY sensitive to everything and my boobs are killing me. Luckily I still have 2 more refills on the Beyaz and time to go talk to my OB. I know birth controls effect women differently but this is ridiculous! I would highly suggest switching to Beyaz. Its cost a little more but its worth keeping my sanity and boyfriend. Beyaz has a Bayer card also that offers $25.00 off without insurance and no more than $25.00 a month, go to BayerSavingsCard.com . At my pharmacy its about $60.00 without insurance and with the savings card. To me it is well worth it! So no, you are definitely not alone with these side effects. Hang in there Smile
|

replied March 5th, 2013
I'm so done with this crap. I'm super emotional for no reason, I work out for more than an hour 4 times a week and my body hasn't slimmed up. Instead I feel bloated and fat. I have low energy and feel depressed. This sucks, I"m going to stop taking it and get fitted for a diaphragm, the only option that is hormone free. These BC's are aweful and all of us wonderful women are stuck taking this crap. It's sad.
|

replied March 13th, 2013
good to know I'm not the only one with these symptoms!
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2012
hello,thanks for the information and whats the results of these birth control pills i have a small question? have u gotten acne? is it all over you? please reply back it's important:)
|

replied August 15th, 2012
Omg YES!!!!!!! I came on this site to see if anyone has had the same problem....My face, neck, legs, arms just broke out, its so disgusting!!!!!! I am going to stop taking this pill...Its too much, I hope my acne goes away!!!
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2012
I have acne, my boobs feel huge and hurt like hell, I had break trough bleeding and I gained 9lbs and it's not even a full month. I run every day and go to the gym 3 times a week, but my appetite has increased and I feel like I am bloated really bad. I haven't cried and I don't feel overly sensetive but I have been angry. Do these side affects go away in time?
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
If you've given them three months and you're still miserable, girl, get off that pill! You can switch to something else and most likely be fine.
|

Microgestrin 1/20
I decided to call my Dr. since I'm hurting so bad and ask about missing my period. Well I'm new to taking BC and I found out that I had misunderstood the RX info that came with my BC. I had been taking pack after pack of BC for the last 3 months without any break in taking the pills. So for 21 days I'm supposed to take the pills and then have a full 7 day break. I have been going from 21 day pack to the next without any pause for a period. No wonder I'm feeling so crazy and my boobs are killing me so bad. I should have asked last month to keep from feeling so bad this month.
|

replied August 17th, 2012
This is exactly how my doctor prescribed them to me also. I am feeling the same way, crazy and unwell. These pills are also making me ravenously hungry like a pregnant woman. Now in my fourth pack of pills and on my seven day break and NO PERIOD and feel horrible and sick. You are not alone.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
oh dear! I hope the change helps you feel better.
|
Users who thank Georgia59 for this post: boostepdiva 

replied January 22nd, 2009
I am due to start this pill on Sunday and I am terrified from the horror stories. Has anyone had a good experience with this pill?
|

replied April 6th, 2011
Microgestin Side Effects
I like it. My period is super light and my boobs are bigger Very Happy The only thing I don't like is the pregnancy scares, because every few months I totally skip a period on this stuff. It does make me hungry more often but I just have to keep track of what I'm eating.
|

replied June 20th, 2012
Microgestin 1/20
Oh my gosh! I am the same way. I've been on microgestin 1/20 for 4 months now, I'm on my first week of my 5th month, but last month I didn't get my period during the sugar pill week when I was suppose to. I spotted for a day or two the week before my period, is that normal? I've never had problems with my period the other 3 months, but this last month I did take 2 or 3 pills late, could that effect my period to be this late? I also had sex with my boyfriend relying on birth control only, should I just take a pregnancy test? Or wait a little longer for my period? If its possible to get my period on the regular weeks of birth control..
|

replied September 27th, 2012
OMG THIS IS MY EXACT BODY RESPONSE TO THIS BIRTH CONTROL TOO!!!! I love the boob fact and so does my fiance...but another thing is that i get BADDD cramps and i never had them before
|

replied July 19th, 2014
same here..been on this for about 3 months now, my boobs are bigger (bonus!) but my cramps are terrrrible and nothing I take makes them better. Also I cry all the time and get angry for no reason, I used to just be so happy go lucky..did you end up switching or did these symptoms lighten up a bit?
|

replied June 17th, 2011
loestin fe
yes I have! the first week i was taking it I felt so calm and good! after that everything was just normal except my sex life is much better! good luck!!
|

replied December 5th, 2011
I've been on it for years and have never had a problem with it, either weight gain or mood swings or lack of energy. I'm super energetic and in fact, this month, I lost weight without even trying. The plus for me (a cup usually) is that it makes my boobs bigger.. and my period lighter. Little to no cramps, I love this pill!
|

replied April 9th, 2012
I just started it 2 weeks ago and i just feel so fat already and im always in a bad mood and my breast kill me but I'm trying to stay strong and see if it works out. Best wishes to you!
|

replied August 17th, 2012
Foggy Brain and Exhaustion Gone!
I love this pill but I think I am in a different situation than most of these ladies. I am 35, have 3 children, my hubby has had a vasectomy. I went to the dr requesting low dose pill for out of control PMS symptoms. It got rid of that and more - no more mom fog brain, no more exhaustion, no more depressive symptoms! I feel like a new woman. I have more energy than I've had in 10 years, I don't cry all the time anymore, and I feel happy again. I do have a few side effects like increased sensitivity to migraine triggers, my sore boobs and nausea went away after a month, I have a little nervousness (linked to my greatly increased energy I suppose) but that's about it. Unlike most of these responders, I think I was probably lacking estrogen and that was causing me to feel so awful.
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2012
I am on it for the same reasons, 38, 2 kids and I was suffering from PMS so bad that my kids and boyfriend wanted to flee the country. My Dr recommended I take it on the continual method with out breaks so I dont get my period or pregnant for that fact. I have been on it less than a month and my boobs are bigger Smile but sore, my appetite has increased and I feel bloated. I also had a little breakthrough bleeding but nothing major. I like the boob thing and the handle on the PMS, but will the other side effects go away eventually?
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2009
Especially eHealthy
Yes!
I had no complaints, except that my period was irregular (but it always was since before the pill).
|

replied January 30th, 2009
same experience but...
I have been on soooo many types of BC (for over 12 years) I have lost count! It's a total guessing game on the pills (even for the doctors) and as our natural hormones change our reactions to differant meds do to. I have been taking Microgestin fe off and on (with another tryout for a few months) for several years now. I also cry all the time and have serious bouts of depression. The worst part is the horrible food poisoning type symptoms during the period week (which is either non existant or heavy) Unfortunatly none of the pills work well, they all have their own set of drawbacks. You can have migraines from one, constipation from another; you kind of have to choose which is better to live with (sucks doesn't it). I think most all types keep you a little heavier (you are in fact basically in a constant state of early pregnancy with these things) and a little more hormonal; its the cross we bare for self family planning, I guess. Personally, I like the fact that it makes me a full cup size bigger Wink Better than surgery, I tell you what.....
|

replied March 5th, 2013
isn't it sad that we all just have to "deal" with all these side affects?!
|

replied February 2nd, 2009
Some of the same...
I started taking bc when I was 14. And a little while later I started to have panic attacks, although the doctors couldn't attribute them to anything. I stayed on the pill for 10 years trying many different ones and then stopped. Miraculously, so did the panic attacks. And now I am trying to go back on the pill, because I don't want children anytime soon. I was prescribed Microgestin Fe 1/20 because it was a low dose hormone pill and I am very sensitive to any type of drug. I have only been on it for a month and the side effects have been horrendous. First, I was totally constipated. And now I feel like a nervous, nauseous, emotional mess. The panic attacks are creeping back. I could cry at the drop of a hat and normally I am cool, calm, and collected. Also, I am so tired all the time and I am now starting to get muscle cramps. UGH! I knew there would be some side effects, but feeling like crap everyday isn't something I wanted. I have not experienced any cup size change. So the big quandary is whether to try it for another month and see what happens or try something else? Honestly, I am running out of options.
|

replied February 11th, 2009
So it's not just me!
I was on Ortho Tricyclen Lo for 3 years with little or no side affects. I went on Microgestin 1/20 because i wanted the lowest dose possible and i've been an absolute mess since I started. While Ortho Tricyclen Lo may be a higher dose for some reason the side affects have been so much worse on Microgestin. I'm switching back ASAP.
|

replied February 20th, 2009
NO issues
I have been on these pills for over a year now and have not had ANY issues!! It makes my period lighter and sometimes non exsistent. No complaints from me!
|

replied September 26th, 2011
I took Microgestin 1/20 for 3 years, and eventually decided to give it up. And I had severe rebound effects. I am having terrible hair loss which I could not explain before, but it started within 2-3 weeks of stopping Microgestin and I have gained weight after stopping the pills , was detected with fatty liver and started having hormone related painful red pimple/acne issues because my skin started becoming oily (I never had such pimples before taking the pills)....I also feel that I have slowed down and feel kind of depressed at time. Why doesn't FDA ban birth control pills...I am warning you all, stop birth control pills and if you have not started it, DON'T EVER take it, have your boyfriend take the precautions. I wonder if my hair fall will ever stop! I am so stressed out...
|

replied January 9th, 2012
Natural Remedies for Hair Loss & Stress
So sorry to hear that this is happening to you. If you're open to it, you should try taking supplements like MSM. MSM is a type of sulfur that donates protein in the skin and hair-making process. For stress, try taking either magnesium (NOT mag oxide as that's a laxative) or SAM-e. Doctor's Best is an amazing brand.

Hope this helps!
|

replied February 26th, 2009
if i just switched brands of BC. Can the new brand make my breast very tender and make me horny? I was just wondering if it is one of those things, or if I should call my doc.
|

replied June 17th, 2011
this is EXACLY what happens to me too
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
3rd month
This is the end of my 3rd month on this pill, so far it's been okay- I haven't missed a single pill, and my periods were only 2 days long and very light- The only concern I have is that my breasts are more sensitive and I'm having anxiety problems in the first week of active pills. I'll see if the anxiety wears off in the 4th pack and go from there. I was on Ortho-Tricyclen regular for 4 years and had to stop because my breasts became so sore it hurt to walk down the stairs (because of slight bouncing). The breast pain isn't as bad on this pill, but I'd like it to go away completely.
|

replied March 13th, 2009
This is my third pack of microgestin. I used Yaz about a year ago for at least 6-7 months...i HATED that. Microgestin is a ton better for my body than yaz was. Yaz made me entirely emotional, gained at least 10 pounds, and it was extremely overpriced so I got off of it. As soon as i stopped taking that pill i was a different person, lost the weight, and quit being emotional. Microgestin is miraculous for me compared to Yaz. Except my only concern is the loss of my menstrual cycle..i spotted the first month i was on it, which was normal, but i havent gotten my period in 2 months is this normal?
|

replied March 16th, 2009
non existant
i think that's one thing that bothered me, the potential lack of periods. I skipped one and completely freaked out. I must've spent at least $40 on pregnancy tests last month only to be proved wrong last week.. 5 weeks late.
|

replied April 1st, 2009
spot like period or no period at all
I've been taking Microgestin 1/20 for 6 months, about to start the 7th pack. I've had problem with my period.... The first month, I had no period at all and my breast were hurting terribly. The second month, I got my period but my breast was still aching. (I asked my doc. about this and he said it was normal). The third month, everything was normal. BUT, the 4th and 5th month, I've had late spotting like periods. I'm suppose to be on my period this week, but have not gotten it yet. I'm starting to worry about the whole period situation and wondering if this is normal. Has anyone else had these problems? I'm planning on going to the doctor next week, hopefully everything will be okay.
|

replied July 7th, 2011
gosh i am always worried about the whole period situation. if you are high active(excersice),or you dont eat well, or have sress those may be the cause. sorry i understand you.
|

replied April 20th, 2009
Same problem here
im having the same problem with the microgestin. My breasts are so sore and I missed my period last month and also FREAKED out..not used to. I was on a generic version of Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and loved it. why they changed me i dont know but im switching BACK!
|

replied May 2nd, 2009
stressful
I started on ortho tri cyclen lo and I turned into a crazy person. I seriously gained around 15-20 pounds on only my first pack and I was working out every day and eating healthy. But it felt that no matter how much I ate i was constantly hungry. I'd eat a bowl of buttered noodles and a half hour later my stomach would be growling and I'd be having hunger pangs. I only took two of the packs and I couldn't deal with the weight. I also became mega B****. I've never been that bad. My boyfriend would drive too fast or my mom would call too often or my boyfriend would hold my hand too tightly. It didn't matter I snapped over nothing. I just started Microgestin and I'm nervous because I've had previous problem with depression. Plus I'm already breaking out really bad, but I don't know if it from the pill or just from stress and the warmer weather... Any suggestions? I don't wanna switch again my doctor already thinks I'm crazy cuz ortho lo isn't supposed to make you gain weight and I've already switched from the shot to ortho in less than a year.
|

replied May 8th, 2009
Just starting this one..
I Started with the shot...had horrible problems...with depression and being emotional...I had sharp pains in my abdomen off and on all the time. They switched me to the pill...Tri-Sprintec...been on that for about 8 months....I'm always tired, I'm emotional, I developed acne, gained about 15 pounds, and worst...my breasts hurt constantly. The only thing it does is regulate my periods. I fill my prescription tomorrow for Microgestin Fe 1/20. Anybody know what I can switch to and get rid the emotional part,and maybe the breast tenderness.... I could deal with the rest if I was just acting like me again.
|

replied May 18th, 2009
this is the info that i needed to know
Have just started the 8th month of the Microgestin 1/20 and I HATE IT!!! I did not do my research! The first thing I noticed was the fact that I have missed 5 periods. I talked to my doctor and she said that it was "normal". At the same time as that, I had the worst pain in my boobs.

THE NUMBER ONE PROBLEM: I have lost some much hair. I have gone from normal to sooo thin on the sides and top that i have to get my hair cut shorter to hide it. The bad thing is that I am a hairstylist and have tried to find at what I am doing wrong.

I am going to my doctor in the morning after I read all this...switching back to my first bc.
|