Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

nausea while pooping (Page 1)

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
So the other day when I got home from work I had a small dinner and was sitting on the computer.

Suddenly I had to poop. While I was doing so, I became very nauseated. I wasn't forcing myself, and it took the normal amount of pressure to get the stool out.

About five minutes after I was done, the nausea went away and I was fine. Thinking it was a mild form of food poisoning, I had some pepto bismol, then I let it go.

Well it happened again today, but the nausea was so bad that my gag reflex kicked in. Luckily I didn't vomit. Once again about five minutes after I was done, I felt fine (still do).

I'm thinking it might be a mild form of food poisoning, both times I had eaten a sandwich with some lunch meat that might be older than I thought...

Any ideas?
Thank you for your time!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper stevenejb
|

replied January 12th, 2008
Experienced User
Hmm, The best i can think of is when you are pooping. When you push it makes your stomach muscles tense, Whether your thinking about it or not.
So it's basically squeezing your stomach. So that might make you have this uncomforting nausea.
Just normal gas can make you nauseous.
But i can not be sure of your exact problem.
Just lending a few ideas.
|

replied June 14th, 2013
Well it just happened to me and i actually throw up and my throat is now badly burnt bcuz of the acid that came up with my undigested food. im soo worried.
im going to chek my docter aap. this doesnt sit well with me at all.
|

replied January 12th, 2008
Experienced User
Nerves
Somtimes Tha Has alot To Do With Nerves i Used To Hve The Sudden Urge 2 Poo! And When On The Toilet && have the urge 2 b sickk.......urggh
|

replied May 28th, 2009
pooing and nausa
I too suffer,, this.. And as soon as I poo,, it seems to get better till I am back to normal again.. I start watering at the mouth and I start sweating before my AM bowel movements! ?????
|

replied November 12th, 2009
Missy5 said exactly what happens to me! I have been searching everywhere to find what is wrong with me, and I don't think it is food poisoning. I just really want to know how to make it go away , or at least more mild!!!
|

replied March 10th, 2010
Nauseated Pooper
I've had this most of my life. It seems to be due to IBS or a sort of almost-constipation. I eat a vegan diet & it helps a lot to reduce this but since being on pain meds after surgery it's acting up more. I think it's from being backed up in the intestine. I get totally nauseated and think I'm going to vomit but take a deep breath then poop. I can only suggest using psyllium powder or prunes daily to get your tummy un-backed up. You might poop several times a day but still be backed up & not realize it. Like a cat! They often get this too. If the nausea does not dissipate or returns fast after pooping definitely take something to get your bowels moving, even drinking hot tea or a big glass of room temperature water (never cold!---bad on the bowels). Make sure you drink enough water and eat fruits & veggies daily. Add prunes to your regular diet and once your intestine is flowing normal you should avoid the nauseated feeling. But keep prunes, lots of water & veggies in your diet forever. Loads of fiber will help!
|
Users who thank veganred76 for this post: kmcole 

replied July 15th, 2010
I have a problem that happens once every few months, maybe more and I feel really intense stomach pains, almost like period cramps. I then have to use the bathroom, and really thin stools come out fast. I get really sweaty and cramp the whole time. It really hurts, sometimes I cry. It lasts for a few hours. Does anyone know what is wrong???
|

replied January 18th, 2013
Same as farmer2's problem
I have this exactly to a T I don't understand it. Just only 10 mins ago I was lying in bed like I am now and all I could feel was sick. I've been to the doctor about mine infant make that 2 doctors and I've had tests done both pee and poo as well as thyroid and ultra sounds on both my stomach and pelvis so far nothing has showed up and I still feel crazy sick. To help with the same issue as yours I just add more finer to my diet I find it hardens the poo and I loose the pain. Cause my pain is like acid in my uterus and it hurts so much.
|

replied July 17th, 2010
farmer2, I go through the exact same thing. Just now I went to go to the bathroom, I felt extremely dizzy in the middle of it, my mouth started watering, I had this HORRIBLE cramping in my lower abdomen like really bad period cramps, and I just wanted to puke. I laid on the floor for about 10 minutes just sweating and in pain.
|

replied August 19th, 2010
pain when passing stool
I get the same thing i get pains at night time really bad i sweat and feel sick i poo a hard stool then after that its water.The pain dose not stop untill i am empty somtimes spending over an hour on the loo.I have never known why i have this problem but have had it since i was 9 i am now 25....i am worried that this is somthing bad ??? help
|

replied December 3rd, 2010
well im quite upset that im joining this thread because as many people there are having this problem there is nobody saying "hey, i know what it is!" i have a similar problem that happens a few time a month sometimes often and sometimes not. i go to poop and my entire body hurts. from my knees to my elbows and i feel like i should keep a trashcan btween my legs because it feels so likely that i will vomit, though i never do. sometimes i fell i could cry, and as of late i hate pooping in general. i cant believe there isnt anything about it anywhere on the world wide web.
|
Users who thank an0nym00se for this post: kmcole 

replied August 15th, 2011
same prob
ugh if you ever figure it out let me know i have the same prob Sad
|
Users who thank kjel for this post: kmcole 

well im quite upset that im joining this thread because as many people there are having this problem there is nobody saying "hey, i know what it is!" i have a similar problem that happens a few time a month sometimes often and sometimes not. i go to poop and my entire body hurts. from my knees to my elbows and i feel like i should keep a trashcan btween my legs because it feels so likely that i will vomit, though i never do. sometimes i fell i could cry, and as of late i hate pooping in general. i cant believe there isnt anything about it anywhere on the world wide web.
|

and err.. i feel so strongly about it that i decided to post it twice.. typos and all..
my bad lol
|

replied December 6th, 2010
I have also had this problem throughout my life. I finally saw my doc regarding this because of a horrible episode last night. She said this has to do with the vasovagel nerve that goes from your intestines to your heart. When it is triggered it makes your blood pressure drop causing the dizzyness & nausea.
|

replied March 4th, 2011
I have had the same problems plus nausea after meals for years. I suspect pancreatic issues. A combination of pancreatic enzymes and magnesium have helped tremendously. Hope this helps someone.
|

replied May 16th, 2011
i too have the same thing.. its your body doing a natural detox of all the horrible things that have entered your system.. most people have to fast for 2 weeks to get this effect..
|

replied June 4th, 2011
I too experience from this! And it is a horrible
Feeling. Although I have not had it for a while, and I seriously think it is because of what you eat. I try and eat less gluten, and I find that it helps tremendously! But the moment I have to much, I know my next bowl movement will be a unpleasant experience. So for those experiencing this, try changing your diet and see if you notice a difference, cause I did!Smile hope this helps!
|

replied September 13th, 2011
I believe it is a form of defecation Syncope. It may well be a symptom of a far more serious underlying health concern
|

replied October 8th, 2011
I have this problem too once in a while. I don't know what it is but I've learneda few things in my anatomy classes that I think might have something to do with the nausea and lightheadedness. Like the person mentioned before we have a nerve that controls blood pressure running near part of our bowels and if it gets pushed our blood pressure drops and it can make us feel sick. I learned in my EMT class that this happens to a lot of older people and can make them passout, fall, and break something. The other thing I learned was that our intestines will not feel pain when they are cut, burned, or frozen but hurt a lot when overstretched or loose their blood supply. I think the problem has more to do with the vagus nerve for me but I don't know for everyone else.
|

replied October 8th, 2011
I have this problem too once in a while. I don't know what it is but I've learneda few things in my anatomy classes that I think might have something to do with the nausea and lightheadedness. Like the person mentioned before we have a nerve that controls blood pressure running near part of our bowels and if it gets pushed our blood pressure drops and it can make us feel sick. I learned in my EMT class that this happens to a lot of older people and can make them passout, fall, and break something. The other thing I learned was that our intestines will not feel pain when they are cut, burned, or frozen but hurt a lot when overstretched or loose their blood supply. I think the problem has more to do with the vagus nerve for me but I don't know for everyone else.
|

replied January 7th, 2012
I've had this periodically all my life and at 68, it is a little more frequent.
I think it is normal and quite welcome since it signals that I need to excuse myself and make my way to the bathroom. It goes away immediately after a poop and no lingering effects, so it is good in that it serves as a warning to me and I therefore am almost never constipated.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply