Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

massive nose bleeds

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
My son has been having very bad nose bleeds. So bad it looks like a water fountain is running out the nose. Fills up a reg. He will just be sitting there and it starts. Have no clue what triggered it.

Here is is medical history summed up
-Born CMV
-Slight CP (Left side)
-Moderate grey matter damage
-Deaf
-slight hydrocephalus found when 2
-Sieazures (Staring)

Could any of that be related to the nose bleeds? Has only happened 3 times from what I have seen but in a 2 month span. Could have happened more without my knowledge.

Thanks
-Del
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 11th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I don't know what most of those things are, but I think the nosebleeds are surely related.
|

replied January 12th, 2008
Experienced User
I need to make a correction to my post. Were it says you can fill up a reg. It should have said fill up a rag.

-Del
|

A nose bleed is known as an epistaxis and is usually nothing to worry about. BUT given your child's history it is possible he may be suffering from something serious which is causing such frequent nose bleeds. Although epistaxis is usually a mere nuisance there are times when it can be caused by tumors and other dangerous diseases. Hence, it is good to get him checked out.
|

Experienced User
I wouls normaly not worry about a little nose bleed. The ones from nose picking. This has me concerned for the amount of blood and how fast it comes out. The only thing stopping me from getting him checked out is insurance. There is none at this time. I know this will cause Cat scans, MRI, EEG, Blood work and possible hospitalization. The cost for all that would most likely be more than $9000. Any sugestions on how to get help for financing this in another way besides insurance?

-Del
|

replied January 13th, 2008
Like you said it will require tests because there are so many diseases that have similar symptoms that it is impossible to pin point a problem without lab diagnosis.

As for the cost, I think your son's life is much more important. I do not see any way of getting $9000 quick enough and a massive nose bleed is no joke because he is loosing blood. If he loses enough fast enough he could end up getting a brain hemorage due to lack of blood to the brain.

Plus there is always the chance that the underlying cause may not require tests because there is a possibility that he may have ruptured an artery high up the nose which only requires a special manoeuvre to block.

When an artery ruptures blood flows out in streams as opposed to a vein which only causes minor bleeding. In any case, forget the money and take your son to an expert.
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2008
Community Volunteer
When I was about 8 or9 years old, I had bad nose bleeds, not from picking, that would bleed and bleed and I would be drenched. They went away after about a year. My parents took me to the doc and they couldn't explain. I hope it is nothing major. Good Luck.
|
Tags: nose, ear, nose throat
Quick Reply