Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

What to Eat For Breakfast without crashing (Page 1)

I have had a lot of trouble figuring out what is the best plan for eating in the morning. I have tried everything and no matter what I crash at about 10:30am. I usually wake up about 7:30-8:00 and eat either 2 eggs scrambled with cheese and sprouted grain toast or oatmeal with nuts/raisins and milk. Sometimes I have grapefruit juice and maybe decaf coffee.

What do you recommend to eat? Should I be eating something immediately when I wake and then wait to eat more? It seems like no matter what I do I crash and I know this is the most important meal because it sets the tone fo the day....
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Spaceknight
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Too much there, especially the juice. Cut the juice with equal water if you want to try it. Better to juice your own. NO raisins. They actually add sugar to a lot of them, but you should avoid dried fruits right now anyway. Milk is usually not a good idea, but if you feel it's okay go ahead. NO coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you get my email before with my number for when you needed advice on what to eat and such? You never responded. PLEASE keep in mind that you cannot expect to feel better yet, expect to get crashes in the morning for quite awhile.
|

replied January 14th, 2008
Hi Stan,

No...I never got it...can you resend? Thanks!
|

replied August 16th, 2009
Can someone post a good example of a healthy breakfast for a hypoglycemic person?
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2009
Community Volunteer
1-3 eggs, fried in non-fat canola spray oil or healthy oil (coconut or omega-3 organic butter). 1 slice of Ezekiel brand bread. A smoothie made out of: one small apple, 1 cup of frozen berries, 1 teaspoon of stevia (raw, not refined), 1.5 cups of unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup of sheep yogurt (or cow if you can handle it).
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2009
I use to eat hard boiled egg whites, throwing away the egg yellows for breakfast and at night. I would have 2 oz glass of milk without additives added every other meal. After about a month in a half, it started making me feel very sick. After that, any dairy foods started making me sick.

Then, I discovered that your very ancestry can have allot to do with tollerating dairy products. My ancestry is that of Native American and most but not all Native American cannot tolerate dairy products for too long in their diet. The doctor and emergency room doctor told me that over the phone recently. I surely wish that I could be able to eat eggs, milk, and cheese but, at last I cannot tolerate them any more. I had high chreserol lately so, I have to throw out anything that can raise it.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Regular eggs should be good for your cholestrol actually because they take pressure off of the liver to produce it. It was actually one of the major things that lowered my bad cholestrol and raised my good. If you can't eat them, that's that, but is it the eggs or the milk? I was a little confused by your post. And if you throw out the yolk, you might as well not eat them because the majority of the nutrional benefit, including enzymes to help digesting it, are in the yolk.
|

User Profile
At first I was told that I could not tolerate the milk because, it had hormonal additives in it by the health nurse and other food additives. Then, my son went out and purchaed Range-free cow's milk. It has nothing in it but milk no food preservitives or hormons added.
I was able to tolerate this for about a month then, I got really sick to my stomach after one month's time. Next I found out, I could not tolerate even the white part of the eggs as well. I dearly love the taste of milk but, I get nausea and sick to my stomach after consuming only 2 ozs of milk or less with my meal. I found out after that, that I could no longer tolerate my Italian bubbly water (mineral water containing calcium and very little sodium. Other than that it was clear, clean water.
I have been however sprinkling a pinch of iodized salt over my current diet with ever meall. I was told that keeps your thyroid working.
Egg yolks are very high in chestreol and the white has protein and no chestreol in it.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Yeah, but it's good cholestrol. Hmmm, have you tried eating the eggs without including milk in the mix? Salt is also good for the liver, so that might be a slight problem you're having. It's common for the liver to function at a lower capacity with hypoglycemia. One more thing you could try is RAW milk. You'd have to find a local farm that would sell you a little, and then try that, it may do the trick. If not, unsweetened almond milk is the way to go, it's what I use.

What about cheese and soured forms of milk like yogurt or sour cream? Any trouble with those? Soured forms should be okay, if not, it definitely sounds like an allergy problem and it also sounds like your body may be associating things you ate with the milk reaction and acting a little funny.
|

replied April 13th, 2010
What food should I eat now? I''m lost!
I''m trying to figure out what is going on with me! I''m having symptoms of hypoglycemia but I have had 2 fasting blood tests and both came back normal. I eat a bowl of frosted mini wheats in the morning around 8 a.m. with a glass of water. My blood sugar started crashing to 51-56 around 11 so I set an alarm to take a break and eat a snack at 10:15 (usually handful of nuts, an orange, or pb&cheese crackers. This has been doing the trick until today. My blood sugar crashed (52) around 10
Do I need to eat something different in the mornings? Need advice! Docs say there is nothing wrong...I just decided to take things in my own hands and start eating the way I need to so I can try to control it.
|

replied April 3rd, 2011
glucose test with insulin levels
I had a 3 hour fasting blood test too, but "with insulin levels" added. The funny thing was, my glucose etc was totally fine, but they found out my insulin was completely overreacting to the sugar. If my doctor had not added that in he would have told me I was fine, I would have essentially passed the test. My sugar went up (fasting was 88, went to 130, then back down, but at the end was under 80) and then back down, but my insulin went crazy and kept driving the blood sugar down further. Ask your doc to test your insulin levels the next time he does that test.
|

User Profile
replied April 13th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Start by reading my diet in this forum.
|

replied April 14th, 2010
Thank you Stan - I tried an egg and 2 pcs wheat toast with oj and milk. I should know in a few hours if this works or not :0)
|

replied October 27th, 2010
Hypoglycemia breakfast of champions
Here's my HypoG breakfast of champions. It fills me up, and after a month, I'm not sick of it.

In a bowl:

Four eggs
one-half rom a tomato
One-sixth red and/or green bell pepper
A good hearty helping of oregano to taste
A little salt
A little pepper
About ten drops of Tabasco Smoked Chipotle sauce
One strip of bacon
Colby-Jack cheese till your heart's content
Stir it all up real good.

Butter the skillet before pouring the egg mix so the eggs don't stick.

Cook it nice and slow over medium or medium-low heat.
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2010
Community Volunteer
Sounds great! Watch the bacon, though, it has sugar in it.
|

replied January 1st, 2011
Unfortunately, for those who have lactose intolerance, dairy foods are not advised. The lactose will cause irritation and inflammation of the gut, causing an adrenaline spike. The result will be poor glycemic control.

You'll have to stick to fatty foods:

Try a beef steak, with a generous wrapping of bacon, topped with a couple of fried eggs, with one or two pork sausages alongside (whole meat.) If you need some carbohydrate, add 1/2 a fried banana.

Remember, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eat your breakfast like a king, share your lunch, and give your supper away. What carbs. you do consume should be taken in the evening (or during the night) in the form of low GI snacks.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Actually, it's been found to be much better to eat a decent size breakfast, a large lunch, and a small dinner. Lunch is considered to be the more important meal, but eating breakfast is still important. No bacon or bananas, though.
|

Only goes to show - everyone's different.

Thirty years ago, when I first developed RH, I was a sick boy. After moving onto a low carb. diet and experiencing immediate benefits, I was fairly anal about what carbs. I ate for a few years. Gradually my overall condition improved, and I was able to relax a bit. I now have good and bad phases, and can usually tell how far I can push the envelope.

But, yes, for beginners, be anal at first - make sure you are well within the envelope, and symptoms are well under control before increasing your carb. intake. It is not easy to stay within 20-40g of total carbs/day - even the milk in your beverages can push you over the limit.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
That's actually a dangerously low limit for carbs, you shouldn't go below 60g. It will cause serious strain to your body over time.
|

replied January 11th, 2011
My mother-in-law is type 2 diabetic, and my husband just found out about he is having very low blood sugar so he may have hypoglycemia. What is the difference in the food I have to make both of them? I think I read that starch is good for the low-blood sugar for my husband, but I should keep that away from my high-blood sugar mother-in-law. Is that correct?
|

replied February 14th, 2011
New to Hypoglycemia - may or may not have it....
Hello Everyone, i wanted to find out if too much orange juice and carbs can make your sugar rise and drop. One night I ate alot of pasta and the next morning my sugar was low, which was something very new to me. Dr said I am not diabetic or nothing, I am scared to go to sleep because in the mornings I get scared I could be low again. What should i eat if I am, i heard stay away from sugars? I also had a spike the other day at work for no reason, i just had an orange for a snack before lunch which is my usual and it went high for some reason. Also does it matter with any pills u take for being sick>? I am in a learning process and want to learn the do's or don'ts early because I am scared as it is.
|
12 >>