Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

PCOS diet to lose weight

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
I have just been diagnosed with PCOS. my weight is a HUGE problem. before most of my symptoms started showing up i was sitting at 145-150 lbs (and fine with it.) within weeks i ballooned! in the first month i hit 200. now i am sitting at 260, and my body cant handle it. it hurts to walk, sit, or stand for more than 10 min at a time. i can't sleep. i get shin splints from grocery shopping. my heart is starting to beat irregular. my skin is so stretched that i have, not just stretch marks, but now i have torn tissue. (the other day one actually tore open and bled.) i have always eaten healthy. i try to work out daily for at least 20 min, i even have a trainer at my gym. i work out constantly with no change.

what kind of diet a person with PCOS should be on? what type of excersizes should i be doing? i have gotten answers, then they are contradicted in the next sentence. and the answer my doctor said was google it.

Please help me, i need to get this weight off fast, my body cant take it
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Women diagnosed with PCOS can benefit from following a diabetic diet, b/c insulin resistance which is present during PCOS is very similar to the same type of manifestation during Diabetes.

You can notice the carbs in your diet in an effort to combat the effects of insulin resistance. In particular, limit sugary carbs and replace them with wholegrain carbs such as wholemeal breads and wholewheat pasta. This will help keep blood sugar levels stable so you feel fuller for longer. Make sure that most of the carbs in your diet, however, come from unprocessed sources.

Stick to five a day of fruits and veg vegetables to satisfy your appetite without increasing calories too much. finally, there’s also evidence that eating protein-rich foods such as fish, lean meat and tofu, in combination with carbs can help minimise insulin rises.
|

replied September 9th, 2008
Yogahoney is right on the money! You want to be on a GOOD carb diet and try not to consume more than 100 grams of carbs a day. I have PCOS as well, it is a challenge to lose weight but not impossible. I am doing Isagenix now and feel amazing. Find what works for you and stick with it.

Good luck!
|

replied September 9th, 2008
Isagenix? What is Isagenix?
|

replied September 10th, 2008
Sarah Check your mailbox Smile

Isagenix is a nutritional cleansing program my hubby and I are following. So far so good! I have lost 23.5 pounds in 6 weeks.
|