Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

My Son Hasnt Grown

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
Hi guys. At Donalds Nine month appointment he was 22lbs and was 30 inches tall. He was the same hight at his 6 month but weighed 20lbs. and to this day he still hasnt grown in height. I thought he was growing to fast and abnormal, but now is hasnt grown in height in almost six monhts. my doc wants to do scans. Anyone have advice. Hes still healthy, talking, walking, and happy. He'll be one next month.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 11th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
hey meggan! how are you?

according to the chart, finn hadn't grown in height from 9-12 months. but i *knew* he had because all his outfits were getting shorter on him and he was able to reach things he hadn't been close to before. i told the nurse who measured him that she was wrong and she measured him again and got a 1/2 inch difference. the problem is the way they measure babies isn't extremely accurate, who knows if he was stretched out all the way when he was measured at his 9 month appointment?

so do you notice a difference? are his one piece outfits getting shorter? it could just be a miscalculation on their part. sorry, that's the only advice i have.

i can't believe he's almost 1!
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2008
Community Volunteer
It doesn't really sound like there is too much to worry about. Since he is gaining weight, then he probably has grown. Like Bridge said, it depends on who is measuring and if they measure the same way every time.

My doctor will measure but doesn't put too much weight on the masurment, because you have to have that on the chart, but sometimes the nurse has measured differently than one previously, or the baby moves a bit or something, and sometimes my baby has SHRUNK!! lol Wink

So don't you worry: weight gain means that the baby has used what he needed to grow and then put the weight on for later. Weight gain means growing. No need to worry, your munchin is fine Smile
|

replied January 12th, 2008
Experienced User
thanks guys.. Yea that makes sense.. He went from wearing 6-12m pants to 12-18m pants. and from 12-18m shirts to 18-24m shirts. so i feel he has grown. Ill make sure they stretch him next time. I feel a bit better now and ill make sure they measure him again before my doc thinks of doing any kind of scanning. I really dont like that idea..lol

so bridge- hows Finn doing? How is Esme?
|

replied January 12th, 2008
Experienced User
thanks guys.. Yea that makes sense.. He went from wearing 6-12m pants to 12-18m pants. and from 12-18m shirts to 18-24m shirts. so i feel he has grown. Ill make sure they stretch him next time. I feel a bit better now and ill make sure they measure him again before my doc thinks of doing any kind of scanning. I really dont like that idea..lol

so bridge- hows Finn doing? How is Esme?
|
Quick Reply