Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Postpartum and Postnatal Forum

Vagina After Giving Birth (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
i don't know where to post this....But i have a question and nobody seems to be interested in this or know the answer... Will the vagina look the same after birth? I don 't mean right after birth, but will it go back to normal in a few weeks/months? I've read many things about it getting stretched out and everything but for me it is important to know if it will look the same too. I think you can work the muscles to tighten it up...I'd like the answer of women who have already given birth and not just opinions . Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Nitchka
|

replied January 10th, 2008
Experienced User
Well I don't know about anyone else but myself and my vagina. Yes my vagina has changed over the years. I have had 4 kids in the last tens years, plus gained weight and lost weight so no it does not look the same. Yes the lips (I am tired and can't think of the correct name) are a bit droopier than before kids. But I can say this my husband does not give a hoot if my vagina looks different now. Tho it looks different it still does everything its suppose to.
|

replied January 11th, 2008
Thank you very much for your answer. It was helpful.
|

User Profile
Supporter
How many kids do you have?

With my daughter (I only have 1 kid), she tore me 3 cms because the doctor didn't even have time to dress, let alone give me an episiotomy.
I got 3 stitches.
Mine actually is in better shape than before I had Kyleigh.
My husband says it's tighter and I can feel that it is tighter when we have sex.
Everyone is different.
Vaginas are remarkable organs. They are like accordians and CAN go back to shape. Just make sure to do your kegel exercises!
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Hiya hun,

Don't threat so much, I'm 16 and just had a baby girl 4 months ago and I can assure you it looks the same and does the same thing, I even had a 2nd degree tear, it doesn't matter what it looks like, men don't give a hoot.
|

replied May 17th, 2012
what is 2nd degree tear???
|

There are changes that occur in the vaginal appearance after giving birth. As with any event, the body tries to regain homeostasis but there are some changes that remain. Just like female nipples never regain their pink hue after birth their are changes in the vagina that will persist after giving birth and may vary from individual to individual.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Just like female nipples never regain their pink hue after birth their are changes in the vagina that will persist after giving birth and may vary from individual to individual.[/quote]

I never knew that (I don't have kids). I hate to sound weird or stupid, but what color are they? Just darker?
|

Especially eHealthy
um my nipples are pink again
thanksverymuch

and i have a 6 week old daughter and my vagina is the exact same as it was before
i had 4 stitches
|

replied January 12th, 2008
They become darker. Well at least that is what Gray's Anatomy says. I am just quoting.
|

replied January 12th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
playsafe wrote:
They become darker. Well at least that is what Gray's Anatomy says. I am just quoting.

no they become darker DURING pregnancy

but mine are the exact same as they were before
|

replied January 24th, 2009
listen to this labor story!!!
LoL, well top this hospital experiance. i got stuck 4 times with the epidural in 1 sitting and it didn't work, an the guy was soooo rude 2 me while im having the worst back labor. Then my doctor tells the nurse to page him when im close to having the baby, so my nurse shows me how to breath and push (mind u there are three people in the room with me the father, his sister and her friend. So the nurse tells me to keep pushing three time every contraction and says that she will be right back. so while im pushing for 10 minutes the babies head comes out and the father runs out the room to go look for the nurse at the front desk and he tells the other nurses that the babies head was out and they are looking at him like he is crazy and they ask him where is your nurse and he said he didn't know and then they remember that she went to lunch!!! so they run in the room and the push that i did after the head came out his whole body came out and they made it just in time 2 catch him.
|

replied February 7th, 2009
Men's perspective
If it is not tight, you got a problem, we don't care what it looks like, but we care for the friction.
|

replied March 6th, 2009
It will go back!
Strawberrydelight...They just made it in time to catch my baby too! I told them I was ready and that she was comming, the nurses just blew me off as a typical first time mom. 2 minutes later, the doctor was trying to stop the baby from coming out because they weren't ready! told them she was coming and I felt like I had to push!

Back to the subject, my stuff looks exactly the same as it did before I had my baby 14 weeks ago. I had a small tear that the doctor repaired with a stitch. It takes time and kegels, but It will return to normal. My stuff is still tight, and my husband said sex is even more enjoyable for him! He says it's tighter and wetter then before. Our sex life never been so great. Just remember to do your kegels ladies! Hope things went well with you.
|

replied April 18th, 2009
4 degree tear
I had a 4th degree tear (the worse you could possibly get) lets just quote my husband on this....after taking the mirror away because he didn't want me to see and freak out...he said "you didnt have a vagina and an anus..you has one gaping hole.." I HAVE TO SAY my dr. did an excelent job stiching me up..after tons of stiches inside and out my vagina looks and feels the same as before..except for the tinny scar on the tissue between my vagina and anus. i knew that i would have problems giving birth since sex alway hurt (being so tight) i only had a 6lb 14oz baby and couldn't get it out..the dr. cut me and still had to use forcips...and it looks fine...about the nipples being darker...mine were really small and really pink before i was prego..went from a C cup to a DD and got dark larger nipples...nipples are still dark and large 5 months after baby was born and still DD (not breastfeeding)
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2009
how about this
from a guys perspective.. i don't care what the vagina looks like.. "ahhh" "day-dreaming" ok back to reality.. i'm sure u will be fine
|

replied April 21st, 2009
I had 5..
by c-section but they say the weight of baby bearing down still stretches the vagina.My hubby is small and still says I am as tight as before any kids.High # of sex partners is worse on the vagina then childbirth.Few partners is key.YOU ARE FINE!!!!
|

replied April 23rd, 2010
well its a late reply but i had a child 15 months ago and ive never returned to the same i was cut open from my front end to the back and the scar is very clear and very tender it has never returned to the same tightness infact it is terrible and extremley uncomfortable to have sex so all in all it aint good lol

and as for nipples mine am massive very flat and have the milk spots u get when pregnant that never went

dont you just love what having kids does..................
|

replied April 27th, 2010
I had to be cut from front to back aswel and my daughter was only 6lbs 2oz. I dnt fink my vagina has gone back the same eitier. My scar is fine. Its one of the muscles that bothers me. Its the 1st 1. Its practical ryt at the edge asif its going to come out. And becoz of this it has move the vagina hole further up my vagina its weird it moves out of the way during sex and just after sex is only time it looks normal. Sex is really uncomfortabtle aswel. I feel lyk im going to tear again but oo opposite side to my scar.
I dnt no howmany stitches I had but ther was alot more than 5 I know that. And also when I push to go toilet iv the muscle feels lyk its trying to come out.
|

replied April 27th, 2010
I had to be cut from front to back aswel and my daughter was only 6lbs 2oz. I dnt fink my vagina has gone back the same eitier. My scar is fine. Its one of the muscles that bothers me. Its the 1st 1. Its practical ryt at the edge asif its going to come out. And becoz of this it has move the vagina hole further up my vagina its weird it moves out of the way during sex and just after sex is only time it looks normal. Sex is really uncomfortabtle aswel. I feel lyk im going to tear again but oo opposite side to my scar.
I dnt no howmany stitches I had but ther was alot more than 5 I know that. And also when I push to go toilet iv the muscle feels lyk its trying to come out.
|

replied April 28th, 2010
aww bless i completely no what u mean by that muscle thing i just dont feel like a women any more and thank u for replying it makes me feel abit better to know im not completly abnormal.
have u been to doctors yet?
|
12 >>