Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

Cystic Lesion W/ Septations

Must Read
Cervical cancer typically develops over many years. But when does cervical cancer occur and how do doctors define the disease? ...
How are HPV and cervical cancer related? And how can you place yourself out of risk for developing cervical cancer? More here....
Abnormal menstruation can be a sign of cervical cancer. Learn the signs and symptoms of serious "female problems" and when to seek medical help here....
I'm 48 and I haven't menstrated in over a year so I guess i've gone through menopause. I haven't been to the gyno in four years. I have MS and my daughter has been battling cancer for the past four years..No excuses but these are the reasons why I haven't gone.
My PAP came back showing abnormal results.
My doc wants to see me immediately. I had a pelvic transvaginal sonogram. It shows the left ovary measures 3x2.6 x 2.9 cm and contains a Confused CYSTIC LESION WITH SEPTATIONS UP TO 2.4 IN SIZE. According to the secy that is the part of the sono he wants to talk to me about.
Additional info in the report states the right ovary measures 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.6cm in size and contains a 9mm cyst. The uterus measures 8.5 x 4.9 x 6.1cm for an estimated volume of 115cc. The endometrial width is 8mm. Nabothian duct cyst is identified.

What is a cystic lesion with septations up to 2.4 cm in size??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Mabel
|

replied January 10th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I don't know the answer to your question. But I want to wish you good luck!!
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, 123maryb!
Malignancy of the ovary cannot be diagnosed with any certainty by ultrasound. The best that can be done is to identify characteristics that make it more likely to be malignant or benign.

Multiloculated cysts (septations within a cystic area), solid areas, bilateral lesions (cysts on both ovaries) and other characteristics, seen by the ultrasonographer means that there are an increased chance of malignancy.
There is also, an increased chance of an ovarian tumor being malignant at older ages, so is the chance after menopause.

Septation just means a thin boundary between two collections of fluid and these ovarian cysts are known as complex ones.

When you are going to see your gyno?
|

replied January 15th, 2008
I see my gyno on Friday Jan 18. He wants to do another pelvic exam. I've had pelvic discomfort since the sono and 2day is the first day it doesn't hurt anymore. WHen we spoke on the phone I insisted on a ca-125 blood test. He explained that he normally doesn't use that for diagnostic purposes. I insisted on it and I had my blood drawn today and I assume the results will be back to him for my appointment on Friday.
What questions should I be asking on Friday?
|

replied January 15th, 2008
I see my gyno on Friday Jan 18. He wants to do another pelvic exam. I've had pelvic discomfort since the sono and 2day is the first day it doesn't hurt anymore. WHen we spoke on the phone I insisted on a ca-125 blood test. He explained that he normally doesn't use that for diagnostic purposes. I insisted on it and I had my blood drawn today and I assume the results will be back to him for my appointment on Friday.
What questions should I be asking on Friday?
|

replied January 18th, 2008
I went to the doctor today. He explained to me that my second pap smear results came back "squamous cells of undetermined significance, epithelial cell abnormality." and that he wants to perform a colposcopy/biopsy next week.
It seemed to come out of left field. The concern was with my ovaries from the transvaginal ultrasound. When I asked about it he seemed to have forgotten all about it and needed to refer to my chart. He's very old and works three hours three days a week. I think I need to find another gynocologist. Now I'm really confused. I have MS and I'm very tired. I don't want to keep making all these trips to the doctor for him to just keep telling me to come back. All he did was talk today. We could have done that on the phone.
I was so thrown off I didn't even know what questions to ask.
Any suggestions?
|

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Sorry, I didn't write to you earlier.
How do you feel?
What kind of examinations you had in a meantime?

Atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance smears indicated an increased risk of HSIL (high grade squamous intraepithelial lesions) or carcinoma. Careful patient follow-up is usually suggested in such cases.

Obviously, you'll need to change your gynecologist.
|

replied January 20th, 2009
Septated Ovarian Cyst
I just came across your post and was shocked to see how many women are going through the same things I am currently going through. I had an U/S done on Jan 15th 2009 (Last Thursday) and was told I had a very very small cyst on my Right Ovary, approx 1cm in size, they suggested a repeat U/S today, well to the surprise of the doctors and myself, I was told that the "Cyst" was 4.0cm x 4.0cm x 3.7cm in size. The report called it "A Complex Cyst with septations & possibly a hemmoragic cyst (endometrioma), Tubo-Ovarian Abscess cannot be excluded." This has truly worried me today, as I am only 30 years old and was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer at the age of 27, in which my LEFT Ovary was removed...I am in remission right now, but up until today I cannot be to sure of that anymore.....if there is anyone out there that can shed some light on this subject or just some words of encouragment would be greatly welcome.....
|