Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Avonex Vs. Copaxone For Ms Treatment

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
I was diagnosed 6 years ago with MS and at the time of being diagnosed experienced blurred vision, numbness in my left leg, and tingling feelings all over my body.

I was placed on Avonex as a treatment and thus far have not had an episode to speak of. My new insurance company will not approve of my taking Avonex and says my condition doesn't warrent me starting a non-formulary Avonex. They recommend either Copaxone or Rebif.

For me and my lifestyle the ease of taking Avonex once a week works for me and I have been able to handle the side effects as copared to injecting treatment three times a week or daily with Copaxone or Rebif.

How do I contest the dedision and best pursaid my insurance company to cover my use of Avonex for the treatment of my MS?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 19th, 2008
Copaxone
I was diagnosed with MS 9 years ago The only injection I have ever taken is Copaxone. I have been very pleased with it. I have had only had 2 exasperations during all of that time. They were both mild. I have never lost mobiliy, and I am very blessed.

I can also tell you that whatever company you choose, they can help with your co-pay if it gets to be too much. My insurance decided that injections were not necessary, and they would only pay 40%. That equaled around $600.00 I called Tevin (the makers of Copaxone), and they gave me the name of The Chronic Disease Fund.

I would love to hear back from you!

God Bless
|

replied June 12th, 2008
Same here - prescription plan financially forcing me off Avonex
Same problem here, too.

I probably shouldn't complain, but money doesn't grow on trees!
Last year's Avonex 30-day supply cost $40.
2008 it went up to $50..... then out of the blue in April (same year), it went to $90 and now Avonex is not considered preferred. However, BetaSeron, Copaxone, & Rebif are. I am doing very well on Avonex. Why do I have to change?

Not a happy MSer right now.....
Mad
|

replied June 13th, 2008
Switched from Copaxone to Rebif
My doctor (today) put me on Rebif. She decided that the copxone had lost its effectiveness. She said that it sometimes happens with all of the injections. Now I have to go through the whole insurance nightmare again. I am trying to be positive, as I am doing better than a lot of people with MS.

YP2, don't get discouraged. (yes I know it is easier said that done) Find a support group of some kind. Mine is friends from my church that pray for me. When I was going through all of the insurance garbage-when they wouldn't pay for all of the Copxone-prayer is the only thing that got me through it.

If you would like to contact me directly, pm me.
|

replied December 6th, 2009
Copaxone
Copaxone is the best of the best! I am a drug rep for it, and all of the doctors I prescribe it too have very happy patients. You should for sure go fro Copaxone, dude!
~Anne Marie
|

replied December 31st, 2009
Isn't there a Org. that will assist MSer's with obtaining Meds.?
|

replied December 31st, 2009
My Ins.(BC/BS)has a co-pay that only the Rich could afford. I wondered if my Neuro. would know how I could get my Meds.
|

replied February 17th, 2011
Copaxone vs. Avonex
I am confused and wanted to know if anyone had already done some research. ...trying to decide which meds to take, either Avonex or Capoxone. In reading both pharmaceutical companies presenations, Avonex says it slows physical disability. It also gives info that Capaxone does not slow physical disability but that Capoxone only reduces flare ups.
In the Capaxone materials, it's focus seems to be lessening the relapses/episodes. It does not mention slowing down the physical disabilites that come with MS.
This greatly concerns me....It seems as if the choice to choose between a medicine that will not slow down the disease but will give no side effects (Capoxone) and will lessen episodes, versus Avonex that gives many side effects but will slow physical disability. I am not sure I am understanding this correctly. The doctor did not elaborate on this and that is bothersome to me. Anyone had to go through this? Does Copaxone slow down the disability? Thanks!
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2011
Dual Therapy
I was diagnosed with MS in 2001 and too have been very Blessed. However, I quickly learned that you needed to be very proactive with your treatment options. As a result I take BOTH Avonex and Copaxone as well as various vitamins and other nutritional supplements. Today I still am working full time, play racquetball, hang out at the beach and love to dance as often as time allows. Good luck to each of you.
|