Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

artery severed during knee replacement

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
During a total, and routine right knee replacement, my popliteal artery was severed, with a bone saw, destroying about 1 ". It was not discovered until the tourniquet was released.after the knee was out. Due to blood loss and trauma, my kidneys shut down.( recovered just prior to scheduled dialysis) A vascular surgeon stretched artery from my lower leg to make a emergency and very difficult reattachment. 90 min surgery extended to 4 1/2 hrs. Spent 3 days in ICU However, scar tissue developed restricting blood to lower limb. Hopes of stenting failed necessitating a complete arterial bypass with a harvested vein (Healthy, clear vascular system prior to cut). Vascular complication continue.(14 months) Vascular says damage is permanent.
My questions:
Isn't the ortho surgeon supposed to isolate the artery prior cutting the bone? Is this careless and negligent surgery or a common risk?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2008
File Malpractice !
Get a Lawyer, You will win! dont let your doctor prosper from his mistake on you!
|
Did you find this post helpful?