Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Schedule preventing weight gain ?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
I was curious if I could get someone else's oppinion on this matter. I work the late shift in the child care industry and my parents are blaming my weird schedule and me not gaining any weight. I will be 18 weeks tomorrow and am still in the negative as far as weight gain/loss. I've lost 13 lbs and have not gained any of it back. Here's my schedule: wake up 1 pm eat "breakfast"(I'm not a breakfast eater so I have to force something down), 2pm arrive at work(here I steal some gold fishies from the kids and run around after 3 year olds), the time I arrive home varies day to day depending on when the kids get picked up(holidays are great! everyone wants their kids unless they are shopping), otherwise we get stuck with them pretty late. Then I eat "dinner" with my family when I get home around 8 pm. Then a second dinner at around 12am then I go to sleep around 3 am. Should I really reconsider my schedule?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Your schedule with work isn't the problem. It's all about how many calories you consume vs. how many you burn. If you work 2 pm to 8 pm or if it was 10 am till 4 pm, it doesn't matter. You're still burning the same calories and taking in the same.

If anything, just try to eat more. Have snacks while you are at work. If they aren't allowed in the daycare center, tell your coworkers you need to leave for five minutes to have a snack. Work should be understanding to the fact that you are pregnant and know/realize that you have to eat.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I agree, you've got a great work schedule, not too early, not too late : )

I lost a few pound during early pregnancy too.

You need more calories now so eat, eat, eat!!! Pack some veggies to nibble on or other snacks because before you know it your bodies gonna start demanding them anyways!

Good luck!
|

Especially eHealthy
It is during the second half of pregnancy where the weight gain usually comes into play. If your doctor has no concerns, you shouldn't be concerned either.
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2008
Experienced User
I'm home with a hurt ankle today(and waiting to see if my dad can take me to the doctor) so I guess I should be eating now lol. I'm not the one's concerned about the weight part. People just keep asking me "How much weight have you gained? You look like you've lost." And they make me feel bad about it like "Feed that baby!" One of the parents told me yesterday that she lost 80 lbs with her 1st pregnancy! Given she was quite overweight to start with. She made me feel better:D
|

Especially eHealthy
Whatever you do, don't listen to the people that say "feed that bebe!!"...they prob gained 60lbs during their pregnancy.

Unlike common belief, you're NOT eating for 2!! Your calorie consumption should ONLY go up by 300. So you should only be taking in either 2300 calories or 2800 calories, depending on your weight. If you're skinny, then 2800. If you're overweight, 2300.

I was one of those people that 'fed that bebe', and I gained 60lbs with my first.
This time, I 'fed myself' and only gained 25! LOL...

I'm sure you're doing just fine!! Like ingi said, it's in the 2nd, 3rd trimester that you'll start gaining weight. And it would be then that you should worry if you don't.

Sarah
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
I don't have a weird schedule like that and I lost 10-15 lbs for my first 5 months. My doctor said it was fine and he thought it was because I cut pop completely out of my diet, even non-caffiene. (Pop was like another food group to me before I was pregnant) Pop has a lot of sugar in it and he said that it would take a drastic effect, especially since I stopped drinking it completely. I am also borderline diabetic, so when I found out I was preggo, I cut Sugar pretty much out. I only let myself have a little here and there. I had no morning sickness whatsoever too. So I was really worried about my losing all that weight, but my doctor said it was just because I started eating healthier and stuff.
|