Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Health Insurance Forum

Trying to Claim An Insurance Loss

User Profile
Why is it that you can pay for years for insurance and the minute you need to put in a claim, you are walking through a mine field?

With the horrible storm which hit our state, I had damage. Out of the people coming out, I got totally different opinions. Only thing is, they came into my house and caused serious damage by ripping out things which were not necessary to remove.

Opinion?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
That sucks.

The healthcare system in America sucks.
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
What Comes As No Surprize
is insurance adjusters can look you right in the eye and tell you that you are not covered. Not so. Always pick up your phone and call your own agent. Come to find out, this adjuster told me that all the things they had come into my home and damaged, they would not cover.

The law of liability actully does cover me. Nobody can come into your home and do damage and walk away without putting it back like it was. Even my granddaughter said, "Grandma, we don't live in that kind of world, where somebody can come into your home and rip things up. It is like taking your car in for service. They can take it apart, tell you what they believe is wrong, but, if you decide not to have them do the repair, they have to put it back together."

I am fortunate that the company who originally did the drywalling in my house will be coming out tomorrow to repair the damage they did ripping out my ceiling. The floors they will replace, but not like they wanted to. A patch job I cannot live with.

I agree with you Danielle, we pay into the healthcare system in this country, and yet even for those of us who have retirement insurance, it is becoming 30% of my annual income. It is getting really, really hard.

Insurance premiums when you own property are a way of life. Just have to find a way of finding the means to survive.
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Well I hope you get it all sorted out and it doesn't cost you too much!
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2008
Georgia
What a beautiful avatar. Very classy.

I had a crew out here yesterday repairing the damage they did when they tore out the ceiling over my dining area. Did an incredible job. It is beautiful and they are coming back today to paint it. All for $400.00 and they had at least seven guys out here working. All from Mexico.

I have this cookbook, The Taste of Mexico written by Patricia Quinlin from Mexico City which has a map of the States of Mexico. I asked them to show me where they are from. Two were from Oxcaca, the Silver Mines, and one from near Mexico City.

My neighbor came over to put in a new part under my sink. He was under there for half an hour. He said there is no mold under there.

I have learned that when those people come out sent by your insurance company, the more they can tear out, the more they can make when they repair it. That guy had me almost ill telling me I had mold under my kitchen sink and that he would have to put up a tent, work 5 to 7 days to repair it, send samples to a laboratory. He actually thought I was going to buy into that.

My building contractor also came out last week when I had the original problem with the reverse osmosis having a leak at the top and it was releasing water in there. He also said there was no mold.

I have talked to my insurance agent who told me that this is not the first time she has had problems with this guy trying to rip people off.

I told her and his wife when she called yesterday to schedule him to come out and start that work, that I was getting a second opinion and that I didn't want him back in my house again.

Boy, they see a woman alone and think they have an easy target. Not here.

They are going to replace my cherry hardwood floors in the kitchen, dining area and towards the entry. Tried to talk me into a patch job. I said no. The company who installed it will be doing it. Even at that, it is $1,000.00 deductable but the floor itself will probably be over $7,000.00.

Just don't know why they had to rip out my carpet pad and throw it away when they set up fans in there anyway which would have dried it out. There are really a lot of sharks out there.

Thanks for your response Georgia. You have always been so nice to me and you will make a wonderful psycologist. Had a really good friend who was and we were friends for many years. Very spiritual lady and we did a lot of psychic things together. Our husbands were rocket scientiests and her husband was CEO of Lockheed Martin. He is still a good friend, retired, widowed, a great artist and he is coming down to visit and paint my house and vineyards and olives for a second wine label and label for our extra virgin olive oil.

Roberta
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Thanks Smile

You sound like you live a really rich life! I can't imagine the world of vineyards. Girl, make sure you call a lawyer if this keeps happening.
|

User Profile
replied January 16th, 2008
Hi Georgia
Taking some time off this morning reading eHealth Forum as my vineyard support guy came out yesterday to help me finish pruning the Cabernet Sauvignon and half of the Viognier. Those plants are really strong vines and it takes a lot of effort to cut them back.

God has blessed me Danielle in so many wonderful ways. I am happy with my life. Great children, great grand-children a beautiful home which my late husband designed and we built together with love. Put in the vineyards and it was such a great joy to make our first vintage. It wound up being the top Gold Medal winner at the California State Fair this year. My husband would have been so happy with that. He just wanted more than anything to share it with his former friends in Silicon Valley.

Still have five more rows of pruning to do on the Viognier, then the roses and then will have time to call my attorney.

He was there for us when both of our children had spinal injuries and is a good friend. Looked at the fine print in my insurance contract and feel I can contest the decision that they denied coverage to me on the rain/storm damage. My son said the insurance companies will wiggle out if they think they can like they did with Katrina.

My own agent has already called to say she does not want that guy who came into my house and caused so much damage ever being sent out to her other client's homes.

At least that is a start. I won't let him back in my house.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Yay! It sounds like you're making progress with them.
|

User Profile
They Say
that the more you have to do that keeps you happy and occupied makes your life full, happy and gives you a longer life. At least longer in the sense of accomplishing things. Blessed in that way for me.

Just wish I hadn't let them tear out my carpet and carpet pad. That guy actually crawled underneath the hallway carpet and ripped out a portion of the carpet pad even though the water didn't even go that far. Now to repair that, they will have to cut into the carpet leaving a terrible eyesore

Just wish I hadn't been in such shock and when he started ripping out the carpet pad, I should have checked it myself for water retainment. Bet it wasn't even wet. He just threw it over the balcony into the storm. Also damaged my french doors when he ripped them open because they were so tight.

All I can say to anyone is don't let those people into your house. Your insurance agent can tell you that you are covered and then deny your claim after they come into your home and tear it up.

My neighbor said that since they had fans up there and a dehumidifier, it would have all dried out anyway. You live and you learn. But, sometimes the lessons are not only painful but expensive. In more ways than one.
|
Tags: loss
Quick Reply