Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Sodas stomach pain

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I am 21 and about 4 months ago, I would get these stomach aches within minutes of eating. It would be this pain mixed with burning around my belly button area. I would have to go to the bathroom and I don't mean to gross anyone out but it was either watery yellow or a very soft brown like diarrea. It also had this horrible smell to it. Once I used the bathroom, I felt fine.

At first I thought it was pasta because I ate a lot of that but I quit pasta and it still happened. So the only thing it could be was soda because I drank one everytime I ate, and a few in between. Once I quit the sodas, I had no more stomach aches. I could eat pasta, spices, everything and no problem. I have went 2 months and no problem. Yesterday I was in a situation where it was either a soda or go thirsty. I used a soda to wash down some chicken, mashed potatoes, and beans. I drank about a half cup of dr. pepper. my stomach didn't actually hurt, but it felt like it wanted to try to start hurting. I haven't had a soda since and feel fine. Any ideas? It appears to be caused only by sodas.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2008
Experienced User
I don't know really, but I drink a lot of diet drinks, and diet dr. pepper usually doesn't do it, but like coke zero and diet coke make my stomach feel crazy. It hurts. Sad
|

replied January 8th, 2008
Sodas bother me badly. i hear that any acid reflux or gerd that sodas will irritate it due to the carbonation. I dont know my problem either but i know everytime i quit sodas i get better but when i go back on them the problem comes back.
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
What happens when you drink sparkling water? Maybe it's the carbonization that is hurting you.
|

replied February 5th, 2008
Next time you need to drink soda, try Charco-Caps. They help absorb gas. I have hernia issues and I too have a problem with carbonation. My stool is described similar to yours. Charco-Caps Homeopathic are really kind on me too. Doesn't make me sick or anything. Hope this helps
|

replied April 5th, 2008
ahhhh i would say run from sodas, aspartme and artificial sweeteners, these are bad for you. i would encourage you to look up the products rthat are in your drinks.

we had a hyperactive very difficult child, this is what got me started on looking into what is in our foods. we are wining now and no drugs.
our food is so important, poor health stats are so scarey, what has changed this last 2 generations. there is so much rubbish in the products we consume. what ever happened to natural.

i was generally looking into my toothpaste products, the same ingredients are used in industrial pesticides and car antifreeze, and i give this to my children with a big warning, do not swallow!!!if swallwed contact the poisons centre.

I am seriously concerned at what is in our food, we are back to pure form as much as possible, i want to have a good longterm healthy life, but thats only going to happen by making wise choices. baby steps. we have sodas but they are a rare treat at birthdays etc..
my son and husband have an allergy to sodium nitrate(in bacons-preserved meats) scarey stuff, i found through a process of elimination. well both of them if they have bacon or sausages will be so angry, hostile, impulsive ,offensvie, nasty and just no be able tocope for upto 3 days.
this is not a food for us, its a preservative and it interferes with normal cell death, mutations are formed and replicate, i read this in a medical book(thankyou god for a hyperactive child who made it so difficult for many years that made me look into what is in our food.

hope this helps someone.
|

replied June 10th, 2009
This has happened to me about 3-4 times and it's always from Dr. Pepper. I haven't passed out but I've gone into tunnel vision with loss of my peripheral vision and could no longer hold myself up.
I was in fear that this was stomach ulcers. But my doctors assure me it is not. My doctor told me that it's possibly some kind of reaction to all the carbonation and caffeine along with the sugars in these drinks that can cause this, but there has been no definitive answer as of yet.

I find drinking clear sodas such as Sprite and Mountain Dew or Canada Dry can actually cure stomach pains and discomfort, more so the Sprite and Canada Dry as opposed to Mountain Dew(a lot of caffeine).

Soda's bad for you anyways and this just helped me to realize that even more. Just juice and water and an occasional Sprite for me from now on!
|

replied March 29th, 2010
Severe stomach pains from non-diet and "from concentrate&qu
I have severe pain in me stomach from drinking Juice from concentrate and non-diet sodas. This pain is not like heartburn or acid reflux. There is no burning sensation of any kind. I have narrowed it down to high fructose corn syrup through trial and painful error. Artificial sweeteners do not upset my stomach, not even a little bit. I could drink an entire 2 liter of diet coke on an empty stomach, not that I recommend it, without having any discomfort. I know from this that caffine and carbonation are NOT the cause of my pain. But, if I sip for instance, half a 20 oz of, lets say Fanta orange for example or ANY non-diet soda on an empty stomach I have extreme pain. This pain as best as I can explain is as if someone has hit me in my stomach as hard as they can. It has sometimes become so intense that it causes me to vomit. The pain usually goes away after this happens. I also have noticed that if I eat 3-4 Tums or any similar antacid the pain will slowly go away. I have not been to a doctor for this. Although I have discovered the causes of my discomfort I would still be happy to know what it is that is wrong. Does anyone have any ideas from what I have discribed and sources that I have eliminated????
|

replied April 14th, 2010
Neil and Skull, I have a similar problem from sodas, always the caffeinated ones but coffee does not affect me in the same way. I get an overwhelming cramping sometimes, almost similar to what I felt the one time I got food poisoning. It also extends into my chest and shoulder area in an aching, sore feeling and has a nervous anxiety attached to it. It usually lasts about 15-20 mins and will, although rare, cause me to ball up in a fetal position because the pain is excruciating when I stand or extend my stomach in that way. I have a terrible stomach as it is and simply tend to be extremely careful with anything that makes me feel at all uncomfortable but it is hard as you slowly lose a lot of the things you love to eat or drink. I assume it is not simplpy the carbonation because sprite and beer do not do this to me. I will sometimes feel a bit gassy when drinking beer but I have never felt the pain that I do from soda, especially Mt Dew for me.
|

replied August 1st, 2012
stomach pain
I am 19 years olf and off and on throughout my entire life after drinking pop or juice of any any kind and sometimes even I don't drink that's stuff my stomach will ache severely. It goes away after a few minutes now but I remember when I was yoinger it would last for a ling time and idwjuzt curl up in a ball and put my stomach on a pillow (which the pain somewhat) . Off and on I'll eat cra kers of any kind and it slowly helps it go away.

But lately Ive been getting more often and mainly in the last couple of days... any ideas people?

-muchappreciated
|

replied April 26th, 2013
Hey guys I'm no doctor here but whoever posted this I hope u read mine. I all my life and I'm 16 now. Don't write me off yet. But from as far back as I remember I was always worried. I was the kid who stressed over everything. Well I went to the doctor. Very early in life and they said I had an ulcer. From then on there have been times when cokes wouldn't bother me. But recently I would be laying in bed at night and my stomach would just start killing me. And I would have to go to the bathroom. After a couple trips. I felt ok. But it was always because I drank a coke at dinner. My father is a nurse prac. And he said to stop drinking coke. That's what is causing my ulcer to act up. The symptoms u described found exactly like mine did. U may want to get that looked at. I hope u don't have it. But best wishes Taylor Smile contact me and tell me how it works out I would like to know.

Thanks
|