Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

I Need All of Your Advice: What Did You Do? (Page 1)

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
ok kristen WILL NOT sleep fore more than an hour at a time, but even worse, she REFUSES TO SLEEP in her bassinet or crib. she will only fall asleep in her pink bouncy chair and even then she doesnt sleep for long.

so i need help and i have a question:

Is it wrong to lay a 6 week old in her bassinet or crib and shut the door and let her cry? she cries everytime i lay her down and i always run to her. travis says its ok for her to cry herself to sleep? but is it?
maybe im just paranoid? maybe im spoiling her?
did you all ever do this? or is it wrong?

stretch Sad hellllppp
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2008
Experienced User
Hiya hun,

Personally I've never let Paige cry simply because she hardly cries and if she does its for a reason that needs caring. If Kristen is crying because you've put her down, or doesn't want to be where she is, then I'd say give her 10 minutes, if she doesn't settle, go soothe her, put her back down, and again and again and eventually she'll settle unless she just isn't ready to go to sleep but she should, if she's well fed, warm, clean bum and dry, and not unwell I guess its ok to just leave her but I wouldn't leave her for 10 minutes at a time.

Have you got like a ceiling projector or something she can focus on?
|

Especially eHealthy
yes i have a mobile, this little music box with music and fishes and bubbles on the side of her crib.
Sad

its wierd, even if she eats, is changed and everything ill lay her down because she will fall asleep while im holding her and the second i lay her down she cries and cries and gets so upset.
but i dont know what else to do
i have to get more than 30 minutes to an hour of sleep at a time. and i cant hold her 24/7
|

Extremely eHealthy
I don't think it is possible to spoil a baby as young as Kristen. I don't think I would let her cry for long either. Maybe 5 minutes? That is easier said than done though. I can't stand to hear Jaylon cry to this day.
My advice would be to enjoy her liking to be held while it lasts. When she gets older you will want her to cuddle and she won't want anything to do with it.

Jaylon would NOT sleep on his back or side. The only time he would sleep was on his stomach. Of course this is a no no these days, but maybe give it a try for a nap to see if it works.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
i never di with joseph but with your first your overly paranoid, but joseph also had colic, he cried all the time, one time he fell asleep in his carseat on a car ride and i let him slep ther that night an he slept for 5 whole hours! i was sooo hapy but hats because he would cry from 11pm to 5am nonstop, maybe u should prop somethng on the bassinet under the matress maybe she doesnt like being flat on her back, jordynne was really picky about that she hated laying flat.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I didn't let Luke cry it out until he was 3 months old. That is when my doctor said that it was okay. I don't like doing it but he only falls asleep if he cries for 5-10 minutes.

I would think that with Kristen you are going to just find a way to get her to sleep. It was really hard with Luke. I wish you luck.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
It's too early to let her cry on her own. Sometimes she can be over-stimulated and tired, and cry for that reason, so there is nothing you can do for her at that point. Sometimes you just can't see the problem. Don't let her cry for maybe more than 10 minutes because this will build up gas in her tummy and then you will have whatever the problem was, plus the gas pain on your hands.

Colic sometimes starts to show up at this age as well.

One of the best methods for me was letting the baby fall asleep on my chest. I would get some sleep that way too, even if it wasn't as restful. I would just lie down and put her on my chest facing me....the warmth is good for gas pains, and babies love to hear mom's heart tones.

You can use a baby bjorn or carrier when you are doing this if you are worried about sleeping too heavily and turning on the baby or letting her fall off. I've never had it happen, but it depends on how heavy a sleeper you are.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
oh and.........

Sometimes babies love sleeping in the carseat too. It's closer than a bassinet and it props them up which also helps with gas pain.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
I think it's absolutely wrong at such a young age. She is way too young to understand what is going on, or to have the ability to sooth herself to sleep. They develop those things later, but right now I think it would be really cruel to let her cry it out.

I didn't start sleep training Rowan in a way where she would cry by herself in her crib for a period of time until 7 plus months (I think it might have been 8 months). Now I will put her in the crib and she will cry while I put her there and while I'm walking out, and then for a couple of minutes after I close the door, then sleep. She sleeps so much better since I've allowed her to learn how to self sooth (now she won't fall asleep while I'm holding or rocking her anymore!). Babies that young don't have the ability to self-sooth yet. Their use to your warm belly, rocking them and holding them right. I know it's frustrating, young babies often don't sleep well, but I don't think leaving a baby that young to self-sooth is the right thing at all.

Rowan had colic, so she was a really bad sleeper. She spent practically all her awake time screaming, for four months. I would turn on the bath water for her to listen to, put her in her car seat in the bathroom, turn off the lights and rock the seat. It was the only way I could get her to sleep. Once she was asleep I would leave the room and the sound of the water in the background would keep her asleep. I obviously left the tub stopper out!
|

Most Diplomatic Poster
i agree that you shouldn't let her cry it out. i'm glad others feel that way. they need to know that you are trying to comfort them even if they still cry. i read this book called the baby whisperer and it really helped a lot with knowing when eadie was overstimulated and needed a dark, quiet room to settle down in. at that age, they have trouble getting themelves to settle down and sleep. they need help.

the only time you should let the baby cry is if you feel like you are losing control or losing your temper. if you ever feel like that (not saying you do - but if you did) then the best thing would be to just leave them in a safe place and take a 5 minute break.
|

Especially eHealthy
kristen just started doing this i have no idea why

sigh. i have to get some sort of sleep. i really DO NOT want to do co sleeping. serously. laura alreay warned me lol

i guess ill just coninue to put her in her bouncy chair or carseat. i just hope she gets on some kind of schedual. i cant just let her cry. it hurts too bad and i start to panic and then i get upset.
|

User Profile
Ok I didn't read everything but I don't think I would let a baby that young cry it out. I would wait until she is older for that maybe 3 or 4 months at the youngest. As for sleeping in the bouncy I would say be tough and keep her in her crib.. It may be a sleepless few nights but don't start any bad habits you will regret later. When brayden was that age he slept in his bouncer when he got sick of that he slept in his swing which then broke and so he moved to sleeping in my bed..and now at almost 11 months we are STILL battling to get him to sleep in his bed.

Gosh Tanya how much was your water bill?? haha!
|

Especially eHealthy
jenniek wrote:
Ok I didn't read everything but I don't think I would let a baby that young cry it out. I would wait until she is older for that maybe 3 or 4 months. As for sleeping in the bouncy I would say be tough and keep her in her crib.. It may be a sleepless few nights but don't start any bad habits you will regret later. When brayden was that age he slept in his bouncer when he got sick of that he slept in his swing which then broke and so he moved to sleeping in my bed..and now at almost 11 months we are STILL battling to get him to sleep in his bed.

yes but if i dont get sleep on these antidepressants then i will be a nutcase
|

Especially eHealthy
i just skimmed this so i don't know anyone else mentioned this, but do you swaddle her? finn started sleeping through the night at 4 weeks and i know he wouldn't have if he wasn't swaddled. not every baby likes it but it's something to try if you haven't already. i think they feel more secure and they can't flail about.

then once he outgrew his swaddle blankets (we used the kiddopotamus brand, $10 at walmart) we'd put him on his stomach because that's what he liked. they do say it's a no-no, but you have to do what works. i think he was about 3 months when we started doing that.

good luck!
|

Especially eHealthy
have you thought maybe you are letting her sleep too much durring the day?
|

Especially eHealthy
BridgetHeartsFinn wrote:
i just skimmed this so i don't know anyone else mentioned this, but do you swaddle her? finn started sleeping through the night at 4 weeks and i know he wouldn't have if he wasn't swaddled. not every baby likes it but it's something to try if you haven't already. i think they feel more secure and they can't flail about.

then once he outgrew his swaddle blankets (we used the kiddopotamus brand, $10 at walmart) we'd put him on his stomach because that's what he liked. they do say it's a no-no, but you have to do what works. i think he was about 3 months when we started doing that.

good luck!

hah shes like her dad she hates blankets covering her feet, she loved it until she was about 3 weeks old. now she throws a fit

she does love to sleep on my tummy
or she will sleep fine with me in my bed whenever i take a nap and lay her with me. another thing i knowticed is that she HATES the dark.
|

User Profile
buy a cheap night light.. And I know what you mean about being a nutcase without sleep. If you have read my posts lately I'm having a very difficult time with Braydens sleeping too. Maybe you can just talk to travis and his parents and get everyones help for a few days until she gets used to sleeping there..
|

Especially eHealthy
Sandy_Pants wrote:
have you thought maybe you are letting her sleep too much durring the day?

she DOESNT sleep during the day now
for the past i dunno maybe 4 days she literally will sleep 30 minutes maybe an hour at a time NEVER longer. and then shes up
and when shes up she wants to be held
or she freaks
Sad
|

Especially eHealthy
jenniek wrote:
buy a cheap night light.. And I know what you mean about being a nutcase without sleep. If you have read my posts lately I'm having a very difficult time with Braydens sleeping too. Maybe you can just talk to travis and his parents and get everyones help for a few days until she gets used to sleeping there..

thats good idea lol
i think next weekend i wi;ll take her to my moms and let my mom have her saturday and then go pick her up sunday Very Happy
|

Most Diplomatic Poster
swaddling! i forgot about that. eadie did so much better when she was swaddled but we couldn't do it for the first little while because it was too hot in the house. she also has always preferred to sleep on her side. i always roll up blankets beside her so she stays put and it helps her sleep better.

if you aren't breastfeeding then getting a babysitter is the best option.
|