Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Uplift Procedure. Tilted Uterus.

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I have a tilted uterus and sex hurts me very much. I heard about the UPLIFT and my finace wants me to get it. I have been thinking about it but am still not sure what i think of it. The thought of have surgery scares the crap out of me. I have never been put to sleep before. Has anyone had this done or heard of this before. I dont know what i should do. And im not even sure if i am putting this in the right forum.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I copied this to women's conditions for you, maybe you'll get more help there.

I'm not sure about the procedure, all I can say is talk to your doctor about it! I can't imagine sex being so painful. If there's a way to fix that, go for it!
|

replied January 7th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
hey nikki i found this for you
you might not have to have an uplift procedure! have you tried these other things first?

If you have a tipped uterus and are experiencing symptoms, your physician may recommend surgery to reposition the uterus. A uterine suspension can typically reduce the pain experienced during intercourse and/or menstruation. This surgical procedure is used to reposition a tipped uterus from its backward facing position to a forward facing position. The UPLIFT procedure is a newer and improved method of performing a uterine suspension. It has been proven to have fewer postoperative complications than other uterine suspension procedures. Uterine repositioning provides lasting pain relief in most cases of painful sex and in some cases of painful menstruation.

A tipped uterus can also be repositioned by:

"Knee-chest": An exercise that may help reposition a tipped uterus temporarily. However, this exercise will not be effective if the uterus has become tipped because of endometriosis, fibroid tumors, or pelvic infections.
Pessary: A plastic or silicone device that is placed in the vagina to reposition a tipped uterus. It is generally considered a temporary solution for pelvic pain because long term use can lead to vaginal infections.
|

replied June 11th, 2009
Solutions for retroverted Uterus - Uplift
I have a retroverted Uterus that also causes me extreme pain and has assisted in unfortunate infertility. I have had surgeries in the past to clean out endometriosis etc. And the procedures have not really helped much. One of the bad things about a retrovereted uterus is that fluids "back up" so the uterus doesn't drain right. I have never had children and my uterus is 3 times it's normal size because of this.
I have heard of the "knee chest" exercise but have been told that it doesn't really do anything. I am going in for suregery for teh "uplift" because it's a very minimal procedure, they don't even have to cut you open. A very small needle with a scope is used to draw the Uterus forward and shortne the ligaments around it so it doesn't pull back.
Patients have said that their pain with intercourse has been absolutly gone and other pain greatly diminished.
It is a day surgery and you get to go home that day.
They way it has been explain to me, it sounds like it is one of the least invasive surguries you can have with the greatest of outcomes.
First though you need an ultrasound to find out if that is what you have...you could have vestibulitis. Which I also have, and that can be treated with perscription medication.
Go to the Doctor, and good luck!
|

replied February 17th, 2010
tilted uterus
Thank you lnctwm.
Was worried for awhile that I wouldn`t be able to have anymore kids :0)
Was diagnosed with a tilted uterus after an emergency c-section.
|

replied June 26th, 2010
lnctwm,
Have you had the procedure done yet? I have the same situation and it is extremely discouraging. I, too, would love to hear from anyone who has undergone this procedure to know what, if any, results have occurred. Also, does anyone know where to find physicians who perform UPLIFT?
|

replied August 11th, 2010
uplift sx
I saw a obgyn today because I want the surgery as well. My family doctor said there was nothing i could do and i wasnt taking that as an answer. the obgyn said exercises are only temp. and a pessary cant be worn during sex. (im no doctor but i just saw her today and this is what she told me) so if whats the point if you want to have sex and be pain free? I have the same issue. she thinks endometriosis is a possibility and wants to rule that out, which can only be done by laparoscopy. Which is used for up lift procedure as well. So she said that i could combine this. but i am being referred because she hasnt done enough of those surgeries. my point is if this is something you want or think can help like in my situation then push for it. ask for referals and dont take no for an answer. im 21 and i think my family doctor didnt take me seriously but i think i can be more comfortable and its a short procedure so its worth a try.
|

replied December 31st, 2012
I have problems with doctors who says "there is nothing else to do" Check on miklosandmoore.com to see if they offer something different.
|

replied August 12th, 2010
I also have a tilted uterus. It's hurts so bad when I have sex. I heard about the uplift procedure and asked my obgyn about it. She said she has been practicing medicine for over 23 years and would never recommend the procedure to a patient. She said it's the equivalent of sewing your right toe onto your left foot. She basically said there was nothing I could do about it. I feel hopeless. I am 21 and so very scared that I might be infertile. I havnt tried to have children yet cus I'm not ready but I'm afraid that when I am ready..what if I can't? The thought makes me very sad. Also I almost dread having sex cus it is not pleasurable at all. Don't know what to do...
|

replied December 31st, 2012
Hello thatgirl, it is a lot that you can do, check on miklosandmoore.com, they can give you more option.
|

replied September 15th, 2010
There is hope for tilted uterus patients!
Thatgirl...please do not despair. I know exactly what you're feeling. It was recommended that I have a hysterectomy at your age because the OBGYN I was seeing could not figure out how to stop my pain. She offered that or early stage menopause. She was/is considered one of the best OBGYNs in our state which is why I went to her in the first place. You need to find a new doctor and don't give up. I was afraid I would not be able to have children either...I just had a VERY healthy baby boy in August with no complications outside of back labor. My husband and I became pregnant on our first try. I found that some of the doctors that have been practicing for that long are not open to discussing newer procedures. Find someone who is more open about discussing ALL of your options. Good Luck but DO NOT give up!
|

replied September 29th, 2010
Does anyone know the cost of the uplift procedure?
|

replied December 1st, 2010
I also have a retroverted uterus that causes me quite a bit of pain. I only remember it really starting to hurt after I had my first baby, but I've had two, one after the pain during sex really started up. So it definitely does not mean you are necessarily going to have trouble conceiving. I've always been told surgery is not a good option, and that I should pretty much learn to live with it. That's very had to accept when it's completely ruined your sex life, and in turn having a negative impact on your marriage. I was working with a massage therapist that thought he could help, but I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to give that a try or not.

I be willing to try these exercises that supposedly don't work long term, but I can't find them described anywhere.
|

replied January 13th, 2011
I experience terrible pain during sex but the pain is also accompanied by bleeding. So not only is it not enjoyable, its humiliating. I've been to numerous doctors and not one has even mentioned a tilted uterus but they can't figure out what is wrong. I found this to be odd because i've searched my symptoms and this is the one thing that always seems to match. I would be very interested to hear if anyone has had this Uplift procedure and if it worked. Or any advice that others may have regarding this.
|

replied January 24th, 2011
UPLIFT procedure
Can anyone tell me if they have had the UPLIFT procedure? I have not been able to find a Dr. that will perform this procedure. Also, how much does it cost? What are the side effects?
|

replied November 13th, 2012
Tilted womb operation
I had it done 19 years ago and was in hospital for 3 days and couldn't walk for 3 weeks the pain was horrendous but after it was good, but now it has gone again so I'm looking at a hysterectomy now
|

replied February 1st, 2012
uplift
I have had the procedure done and it did not work
|

replied March 25th, 2012
Tipped uterus vs vasodilatation of pelvis
The tipped uterus may not be the whole reason for pelvic pain during intercourse. The vasodilation of veins in the pelvis may be the main cause. A mans erection is a vaso dilation. Pelvic venous congestion syndrome society reports 71% of women with this diagnosis have pain during intercourse. Women may not be getting a full diagnosis if they only know about the tipped uterus.

I recently had a trans vaginal ultrasound and got the diagnosis of pelvic congestion syndrome. I also have a tipped uterus. I have 1 child. But did have a miscarriage at 41/2 months. I didn't have pain with intercourse until after childbirth. When the veins can increase.

I am a alternative physician who is experiencing pelvic pain post a skiing trip. I have been getting relief with mild hyperbaric and getting off my feet. Green tea helps too caffeine is a vaso constrictor. But I caution about doing too much as it will also give a back swing of vasodilation.
|
Quick Reply