Medical Questions > Mens Health > Mens Conditions Forum

Anal Itching

Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
I'm very embarrased to ask this question. What would cause anal itching? Last year when I went for my yearly exam I could'nt bring myself to ask my doctor. It's gotton so bad that there are times I have woken in the night and I'm itching. I'm paranoid that it's worms.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper pjelectric
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2008
Community Volunteer
If it's worms, then it's pretty simple to get rid of. You take a small tablet and they are gone in about a week...maybe another pill would have to be taken and go through a second week in a really bad situation. It's fairly easy to get worms if you are around a place or person that is infected. You can even breathe in the eggs, so it doesn't mean you should be embarrassed about it. Just tell the doc.

Other than that, sometimes, you just itch. Part of it might be because you don't wipe the bowel movements away well enough. Sometimes if there is even the slightest little bit of waste there, it can irritate your skin. This most often happens with constipation. I would suggest getting pre-moistened flushable wipes. That should help.
|

replied March 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I agree with mominashoe that it could be worms. It may, also, be caused from hemorrhoids. They can cause itching. Try using Tuks pads. They can ease any swelling and itching. Dermaplast spray can, also, help with itching. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor about this. They have heard and seen so much that it will not phase your doctor.
|

replied June 27th, 2008
I can identify with josh's problem, but my GP doctor only gave me some creams that didn't help at all. This has been going on for over a couple of years now and I just can't get the itching to stop...that's why I think it's probably hemorrhoids. I'm misserable and I try not to scratch, but it's too much not to; and then it ends up lightly bleeding. Should I see an Urologist or what kind of doctor? My GP was no help. Thanking someone in advance. Itching to hear from someone who has answers.
|

replied November 3rd, 2009
Re: How I got rid of anal itching
I had anal itching a while back ... and this is what I did (it's kind of gross in my book, but it worked like a charm): I rubbed Carmex (the medicated chap stick)on the problem area twice a day! Why Carmex? Well, because I saw that it had camphor, menthol AND petroleum in it (all of which are highly recommended for anal itching)! One week later, and it was all gone. This worked for me,and hopefully it'll work for you too. Although, I didn't have worms like mominashoe mentioned. Thanks!
|

replied December 14th, 2009
Oh! It must be worms. Nothing else would cause such irritation for such a long time. You really should ask your doctor before the preparation H runs low.

Also, if you live in a dry environment, that might be causing it. I've learned that living in dry areas affects certain holes, if you know what i mean, if situated there for a prolonged period. (I would know, it happened to me Sad)
|

replied October 28th, 2010
ANAL ITCHING::ANAL PRURITUS
Anal itching of itself is medically termed ani pruritus and is a condition that can affect the whole area around the rectum. hemorroids and worms are separate issues. it is considered incurable and people like myself can suffer for decades from this ani pruri condition. no topical treatment will work for long in the majority of cases but there is hope as follows...the root of the problem lies deep in the bowels;;if u do the following you may find relief..1.give up all caffeine for good 2. practice periods of fasting and eat only whole foods.... u may be surprised at the results but it is worth the effort...it isnt easy and u should study the fasting experts :::i have gotten much relief from these methods and have had the problem reduced by 99% trust in nature and eat properly
|

replied June 4th, 2013
i m suffering for almost 9 years now. I went to Gp, internist and Proctologist......no help. They gave me cream to apply but the problem stays. It only itches after the bowel movement and after I apply cream it goes away until the next bowel movement. I want to find a cure for good.
|

replied February 29th, 2012
Internal Hemorroids = Cause of my Anal Itching
After 7+ years of itching, sleepless nights, hours spent washing drying itching washing drying and searching for solutions I finally made an appointment with a colorectal doctor in Denver - he diagnosed the issue in less than 5 minutes- discharge caused by internal hemorrhoids that would leak and irritate my anus (yep like most mine was worse at night for some reason). Within 10 minutes he had "banded" the first of three (a non-painful process - other than the discomfort of having something up your butt for 30 seconds). Within 24 hours I had a 95% reduction in the desire to itch!
I probably spent $200 on creams and lotions each year before then. Would love to slap the dermatologist that barely looked at me and insisted I take pinworm pills (this happened twice) which are very bad for your liver - it sucks that so many folks are recommending that in this forum - its very uncommon in adults. All those hours of sleep loss, the stress of tensing my body as I scratched - I've probably lost several years off my life. For the first time in so long it doesn't hurt to go to the bathroom. All the little cuts I had from scratching are healing - I have started using wet wipes and continuing to wash with warm water (no soap!) and was prescribed "clotrimazole and betamethasone dipropionate cream" to help with the healing. Its the first time I've been able to put on an ointment (have had all sorts of other prescriptions from dermatologists) without having to itch like crazy. I've also noticed that eczema on the rest of my body has calmed down significantly as well. I've had the second hemmroid banded, am taking fiber supplements, and have one more to go. I am hoping/positive for a full recovery and stopping of the itch but even if there is always a little I can LIVE with this. - before I was almost suicidal it sucked so bad. Good luck everyone, don't be afraid to make an appointment to check for internal hemorroids!
|

replied March 2nd, 2012
anal itch
i have anal itch for 20 yrs.i have a good diet.im in ireland.i have tried every type of cream(lanacane,betnovate,schriproct,daktar in,canesten,fuciden,anusol,sudo creme,and lotriderm),all with varying degrees of success.but im now back to square one and it worse than ever.i went to 2 consultants over last few yr and both can see very little wrong.i also had a colonostopy.i wake every nite at 2am/3am with a very intense and bad itch.its getting me down and ruining my life.when i pass a motion i have light bleeding that stops immediatley after.one of the consultants wants to send me to a dermatoligist.im wondering after reading this if i could have worms?..i need help...
|

replied September 4th, 2012
anal itch
Try Simply Soothing Wipes. They are specially formulated for this type of condition and we have heard the same story many times.Creams make it worse and doctors say 'its a tricky problem', and often offer only temporary solutions. Simply Soothing works very well.
|

replied July 21st, 2013
Try peppermint essential oil to relieve anal itch!
Just because it only comes at night does not mean it's worms, I had the exact same symptoms (only at night) and discovered mine was more of a fungal issue.

For short term relief, I found AMAZING results from peppermint essential oil. Peppermint is a natural anti fungal and I find it has a powerful numbing effect that eliminates the itch for an extended period of time. I use two drops before bed at night, and finally I can sleep through the night without any itch! Don't use more than 2 drops, this stuff is strongly concentrated and powerful!! Dr's will only prescribe cortisone (because that's where the money is, and they are trained to use pharma products). A holistic option like peppermint oil is far safer for long term use than applying a chemical to such a sensitive region like your anus / colon! I like Young Living's oils the best.

To fix the root cause, I truly believe for many the underlying issue could be candida overgrowth, a natural fungas which often gets out of control in Western diet. It is notorious for causing rashes, itches, and eczema-like symptoms. I suggest reading up on the candida diet, and also try a GOOD probiotic (I like garden of life brand) works wonders on the digestive system and helps fight candida and strengthen overall immune system. Also keeps things regular / prevents hard stools. Not all brands are the same, find one that works for you!

I also agree that good hygiene is important. I found some relief when I started using a bidet (even a cheap hand bidet you can find on amazon.com will help), but it wasn't until I used peppermint oil, candida diet, and pro biotic that eliminated my problem.

It's taken me over 10 years, but I've finally found relief. Don't give up, keep trying different things and attack the problem from all angles!
|

replied August 19th, 2013
Best treatment for anal itching
I too had anal itching for years. My colon rectal surgeon found hemoroids too and removed them. Did nothing for my itching. 2 months ago I found my cure. It's an ointment called Pranicure. It's fairly new and you can only get it on their website. I found it looking through other sites like this one. Testimonials all over the internet from people who suffered for years and have now found the best treatment for anal itching. It worked for me.
|

replied October 20th, 2013
anal itching
i suffered for 3 and a half yrs..tried everything you can imagine..said if i ever cured this, i would post it in a forum to try and help someone else..my problem seems to be related to alcohol and smoking...i have quit for 6weeks so far...and to my surprise my anal problem has improved dramatically...so if your like me and tried to cure the problem with external aids, take a look at what your putting in your body...i hope this helps someone, because i know how frustrating this problem is...good luck...
|