Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Sinus pressure with constant headache

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hi
I've had some problems for a couple of weeks now. They're very confusing symptoms and I don't know what to do. I saw my doctor already, and he said it's a viral thing that will resolve itself, but I'm kind of worried.

-It started with my eyes getting red with crusties in the morning. Nothing else wrong with my eyes other than that.
-I started having a constant headache for a day or two. I then realized that it wasn't a "conventional" headache, but I could pinpoint the source to pressure from my sinus area behind my nose. I do not have any problems breathing at all though. It doesn't feel like I'm stuffed up at all other than the feeling of pressure.
-My jaw is sore when I press on it. It's the part underneath my ears, and they hurt on both sides.
-My throat is swollen. I have no problems swallowing, as I seem to be able to consciously control it. However, when I relax my throat, it naturally closes up almost to the point where I have problems breathing. From the outside, looking at my neck, it doesn't seem swollen though.
-When I open up my jaw or move it side to side, I can hear this sort of squishy fluid sound.

I don't have any fever or cough or sore throat. My energy level seems normal, except for my anxiety level being up there because I'm worried that something's wrong, and plus the constant headache is a vigilant reminder.

Anyone have any ideas of what's going on? I can't seem to find anything online that suggests one thing or the other. I would have a symptom of one thing, but I wouldn't have any other related symptoms. Like, is it possible for me to have a viral infection if I don't have a fever or cough or sore throat? Could it be an allergic reaction if it is lasting for so long (2 weeks now).

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2008
Supporter
Maybe your body is fighting off a viral infection. I'd have to agree with your doctor, as swollen lymph nodes can cause many of the symptoms that you describe. How are you feeling now?
|

replied January 30th, 2008
A lot of my symptoms have calmed down now, but still present. I still have all the symptoms, but they have become mild.

The most prominent symptoms I have right now are the sinus (feels like behind the eyes or forehead area) and the red eyes. I don't understand this sinus symptom though. I can feel that something is inflamed in there, but there is very little mucus produced. I can breathe perfectly normal too.

And my red eyes don't seem to go away at all. They have been persistently red like this for over a month now.

I'm wondering if I maybe developed some sort of allergy in my early-mid life. Is it strange at all for someone who's had no history of allergies whatsoever to suddenly develop it?
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2008
Supporter
No, it does sound like a chronic and persistnet sinus infection. You should probably get antibiotics now as an ongoing infection can lead to an abscess and that, I can assure you, is no joke!

You do not need to feel congested to have sinusitis. I have sinusitis and I never produce mucous other than the occasional post-nasal drip. This is because my sinuses are completely blocked! The feeling of pressure and the headache emanating from the face is usually enough to diagnose it but you should probably get an x-ray to see what is going on there.
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I second "Shonster" on this one. Better to follow through now and be sure.
|

replied August 17th, 2008
Gordon, it sounds like you're suffering from a TMJ disorder. Do you clench or grind your teeth often? The soreness in your jaw near your ears indicates you probably do and this can stress other muscles in your face. It can even mimic sinus pressure.
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2008
Supporter
Yes, it's possible to develop allergies at a certain point in your life. Any news on a diagnosis or update?
|

replied October 28th, 2008
hank777 asks a good question. Are you clenching your teeth at night? A lot of TMD victims don't realize that they are clenching at night, because they don't do it during the day.
|

replied February 20th, 2009
And chance that you have developed wisdom teeth? I found this on google while searching my own symptoms.

My eyes have been red for days out of no where and started to get real crusty in the morning and I've developed some sinus pressure that wont fade.

Anyhow, I also have pain in the right side back of my jaw where my one of my wisdom tooth is growing (i'm 19) and also the right side of my throat immediately behind the tooth is sore.
|