Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Stabbing pain in breast (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I am a healthy 25 year old woman. However, for atleast the past 3 years I have been having the worst pains imaginable in my left breast. When the weather is cold I will get a sharp cold burning stabbing pain through my left nipple. The left side of my left breast near the armpit will also be extremely sensitive to touch. The pain is so intense and unbearable that my gyno has prescribed me 500mg of hydrocodone. I've been to the doctor several times about it but nothing ever comes from it. She first thought it was fibrocystic breast tissue. So she changed my birth control to a diurectic. Nothing changed. I've had sonograms but there is no lump. There is no pattern to the pain either. It has nothing to do with my hormones.

I'm pretty much lost. My father, who is in the medical field, believes it to be nerve related. When I read about nerve pain, it hit my symptoms to a tee.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I can't seem to find anything on the internet about it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kris1982
|
Users who thank kris1982 for this post: ang1966  jonsay24 

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I have never heard of such a thing, no, but your father is probably right. Ask your gyno or PCP for a referral.
|

replied February 7th, 2012
Kris 1982,

I know exactly what you are talking about because for the last few years I have also been feeling those sharp pains and it happens when I am cold and it happens mostly through my left breast but I have also felt it in my right one. I am only 19 years old and I first felt it my 9th or 10th grade year. So I have been feeling it off and on and I don't know the cause of it yet. During my physical exam I did have my breast examined and everything was fine. I thought I was the only one but I see now that I am not. They are so painful sometimes to the point that I cry or put like a heating pad over them but it really doesn't help. Hopefully eventually we will find a logical explanation for this.
|

replied March 10th, 2012
i have the same issues
Hi I have the same problem for years now..
i tried not to eat anything cold just so i dont bring my body tempeture down.It usually helps if i drink something hot or take a hot shower. i hope someone can tell us what this is Sad
|

replied February 7th, 2012
Breast pain
Kris 1982,

I know exactly what you are talking about because for the last few years I have also been feeling those sharp pains and it happens when I am cold and it happens mostly through my left breast but I have also felt it in my right one. I am only 19 years old and I first felt it my 9th or 10th grade year. So I have been feeling it off and on and I don't know the cause of it yet. During my physical exam I did have my breast examined and everything was fine. I thought I was the only one but I see now that I am not. They are so painful sometimes to the point that I cry or put like a heating pad over them but it really doesn't help. Hopefully eventually we will find a logical explanation for this.
|

replied February 7th, 2008
Cold weather breast pain
6 months ago I had a breast lift and implants replaced. Now whenever I get cold I get a sharp, unbearble pain in my nipples and my breasts become terribly tender. The only solution is a long hot bath. It doesn't even have to be that cold - 55-degrees. What is it?
|

replied October 1st, 2008
breat pain
Well, I too have extreme stabbing sharp breast pain at my nipple area periodically throughout each and every day. Weather is not a factor for me. I also have cyst. fib. and have had two lumps removed, but from right breast.

The only thing I can say is that it's hurts and really is uncomfortable and some days are worse than others. If anyone has a suggestion to help figure out what the heck it is let me know.
|

replied October 6th, 2008
Stabbing Breast Pain
I have been having this pain for about a month off and on and weather is not a issue. I just get stabbing pain in my left breast from the side under my armpit area to my nipple area. It shoots a stabbing sensination. I am worried but I am not pregnant, have no lumps and no matter how I am, sitting, standing and or laying down it still hurts. Today I continue to have it most of the day.

Can any one tell me and help me out?? Thanks
|

replied November 11th, 2011
hi
hi all i have read about a medical conditions that is called raynauds phenomenon it has all the symptoms u list i also have this pain and was so petrified to go to docs incas e of the big c xx
|

replied November 20th, 2008
i get really back pain in my cest mostly my breast and under them. i don't know why but if you find something out can you post it. thanks
|

replied November 25th, 2008
left breast pain by armpit
i am 26 and i have been experiencing the same thing. its really painful when u start feeling around ur armpit and breast. i dont feel no lump but it does scare me.
|

replied January 21st, 2009
Same Symptoms
I have been experiencing the exact same breast pain symptoms and only when the weather is cold. Sharp pains in my left breast and nipple, but so far not under the armpit. I too have had my regular mammograms and a sonogram, but they found nothing. I am 40 years old and my mother died from breast cancer so I am very concerned. I am going to bring it up with my PCP next week when I see her. Have you had any luck finding a cause / diagnosis for your pain?
|

replied January 31st, 2009
somewhat same symptoms
sometimes i get a shooting pain, but it is in a random area of my breast, but it'll happen twice, then stop.. then a couple weeks later, or sometimes a month later, it'll happen again. but ALSO, i get this in random areas of my body.. like, my side, near my kidney, and or back sometimes.. it'll happen once or twice then stop. but it's very painful when it does happen.

can it just be nerves? nothing to worry about? i hope so...
|

replied August 8th, 2011
It's been over two year since this was written but I have the exact pain. I've had it for about 5 years now, it's off and on, can go for months without it and then I have 4 or 5 attacks in one week. It seems to be getting worse. Did you find anything out about this?
|

replied October 2nd, 2011
I get a random sharp pain above the nipple and also closer to the middle of the chest (but still on the breast)if that makes any sense. I went to the doc and she pressed on the area and it hurt to touch it. She said it most likely is musculo-skeletal and to take advil when it hurts. The advil has done nothing for it and it still gets sore to the touch. It is not all the time, it comes and goes randomly. It only lasts for a few minutes...the longest being 30 min...but usually just a minute or two. I had EKG's, echocaerdiogram, cat scans with dye to check for blockages....all came back fine. So it probably is not heart related...but I am still scared when it happens. Anxiety definitely does make it worse. What can be causing this pain and how do I get rid of it??????
|

replied October 6th, 2011
Breast pain
I thought this was happening to just me, but yes I too am getting this pain in my left nipple. I am 25 and recently had an EKG due to other problems but everything came out fine but it still scares me because I've heard it can be a sign of a heart attack so I think I start feeling other things but it could just be the anxiety. Anyways I am calling the doc tomorrow, if you find out anything please post.
|

replied March 4th, 2012
Same issues
It seems like we have the samething going on and i have alot of test done as well and.they found nothing but panic attacks not sure whats going on but if u get any info let me know.. thanks
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied March 4th, 2012
It seems like we have the samething going on and i have alot of test done as well and.they found nothing but panic attacks not sure whats going on but if u get any info let me know.. thanks
|

replied February 11th, 2009
My BooB Pain
I seem to get this "boob pain" every couple of months, nothing to do with wheather, maybe it has to do with that time of the month. I do not have nipple pain at all. Just sharp pains within both breasts. Usually off and on for a few days. Than it's gone and they're not tender.
|

replied February 11th, 2009
breast pain
I too get pain but in my right breat a stabbing pain not near my nipple but more towardsthe inner part of my chest if any body finds any anwer to this please post
|

I get the same thing, but in the left breast. I get a random sharp pain above the nipple and also closer to the middle of the chest (but still on the breast)if that makes any sense. I went to the doc and she pressed on the area and it hurt to touch it. She said it most likely is musculo-skeletal and to take advil when it hurts. The advil has done nothing for it and it still gets sore to the touch. It is not all the time, it comes and goes randomly. It only lasts for a few minutes...the longest being 30 min...but usually just a minute or two. I had EKG's, echocaerdiogram, cat scans with dye to check for blockages....all came back fine. So it probably is not heart related...but I am still scared when it happens. Anxiety definitely does make it worse. What can be causing this pain and how do I get rid of it??????

Have you gotten any answers?
|

replied February 19th, 2009
broken ribs
I have broken 2 ribs on my right side and now get the burn under my right arm and shooting pain to my right breast right into my nipple! OMG! This kills and scream so loud! What is this? I am not sure if it is from the swelling from my ribs that circles my nerves but someone please give me a clue?
|

replied March 10th, 2009
raynaud's phenomena
it sounds very much like the signs and symptoms that you all have been describing. it can happen to the nipple and breast area too, usually called nipple vasospasm and they say it is treatable with Nifedipine a calcium channel blocker that is usually used for high blood pressure and it can be taken anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks (rarely over 6 weeks). if you do a search on google for nipple vasospasm (usually is described in breastfeeding websites but it doesn't have to happen only when nursing it can happen spontaneously) you will see that what you are describing sounds very much like it. hope it helps
|
Users who thank albaida for this post: ang1966 

replied March 16th, 2009
It's so comforting to find other people with this! I actually just joined this website for this topic.

I am a 22 year old girl with no serious medical issues. But, like the thread started I have very sharp painful stabbing pains in my breasts. I have had them for a few years but thought it was just one of those things. However lately it has been more painful and in the same spot over and over and it really hurts, is it worth going to a doctor about this or will it be a waste of time?
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2009
breast pain
i am getting stabbing pains in my left breast and nipple-it actually feels like a papercut across the nipple. after some reseach i have discovered it is either cancer or just my body saying its period time. so im off to the dr to get checked out. i suggest everyone does this, it is in no way a waste of time-it could save your life! good luck
|

replied April 6th, 2009
lightning from breast to nipple
I am so glad I am not alone!!!! I thought I was just crazy. I have very irregular periods and the pain doesn't seem to be related to that. It comes on so suddenly. and it repeates over and over for a sustained period of time. It seems to happen at least once daily. Apply pressure, heat, cool compress...doesn't eleveate the pain or affect it in any way. It feels like I have a battery clamped on my nipple and it is sending currents through my breast.
|

replied August 14th, 2009
Stabbing Breast Pains
I have the stabbing pain in my right breast but not in the nipple. I have been under extreme stress and I have been blaming it on that. I had a mamogram several years ago and no lumps. I do self breast exams and no lumps. Of course, I'm worried but glad to know I am not alone with the stabbing pain. I experienced it maybe a couple times throughout my adult life but pretty frequent for some reason within the past 3 months. I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago so It would not have anything to do with my periods. I am 46 years old and have 2 children.
|

replied October 7th, 2011
best solution to work on pain is to wrap a boiled egg and roll it over to the pain. Let me know how it was after 2 weeks of application , please.
|

replied August 22nd, 2009
stabbing breast pain
misshudsonriver
I have the exact simptoms as you , even tonight . i am not sure what to do about them they have been on and off for years but today it has been and on going thing for the entire day, the pain got so bad i thought i was going to have to go to the ER.....
|

boil an egg. wrap a cloth on it and roll it over the pain 3 times a day. Do not throw the egg away but reheat it for next usage. Please let me knows its result after 2 weeks of applications at madamlow at yahoo dot com.
|

replied September 19th, 2009
can you tell me what i have please
i am 23 and i have discovered yesterday that the is a lump on my right breast and it really pains and i am breast feeding for almost ten months .can you kindly help me to find out what it is
|

If you know there is a lump in your breast, get to the doctor ASAP. Have a mammogram done and have her examine you....this could be very serious! A friend of mine had a lump in her breast at 30 years old and ended up having breast cancer and had to have a double mastectomy by the time she was 32 years old. I don't mean to scare you, but lumps in the breasts can be very serious and dangerous!!
|

replied October 6th, 2011
"open up armpits" exercise is very good for lump in the breast. If you want further knowledge etc, please let me know.
|

I have skin cancer some 3 years ago and have self treated it. If you would like to know how to treat cancer and not have cancer, please contact me.
|

replied November 22nd, 2011
Self treated skin cancer? Wow! Should your user name be Jesus? There is no such thing as self treating any chronic, serious illness without the aid of medical attention.
|

replied September 29th, 2009
i'm 26 and i also have pains in my boobs i havent talked to my doctor yet but i think i need to my girfriend has the same problem and she had to go see a different doctor but i dont know what happened but all i do is when it happeneds i just hold myself and it goes away faster
|