Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Pregnant on Metformin?

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
I have PCOS(diagnosed 3months ago) and havent had a period for 7 months (its still not clear if i am able to have children at all until i see my doctor for more info on the 11the jan)

My doctor has advised me to take metformin and i have almost finished my 2 month trial.

I just wanted to know if i can indeed become pregnant whilest on this drug,and if i am (which is a possibility as my self and my partner have un protected sex)

Can anyone help me or advise me any more on this matter?

I would really appreciate all your views and thoughts,Thank youuuu Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper catalina.
|

replied January 3rd, 2008
Experienced User
i believe you can get pregnant on this drug. i have pcos too, but have only been given bc pills to try to level out my hormones. i do know of one person who has pcos and was on it. she is pregnant now and said that she did indeed become pregnant while taking the drug and was actually told she could continue to take it during the first month or so of pregnancy.
|

really! well that is fab news for her ans i am really pleased for her.
Do you know if she was having periods though? as i am not but i am told that you can still ovulate without a period :S as i said there is a chance i may be pregnant so i wouldnt really have a period if i were any way! all soooo confusing.
|

Experienced User
you should take a pregnancy test to be sure. and if you are trying to conceive you can join babyfit.com it's a great and encouraging website (and it's free). there are quite a few women on there that have pcos and are or are trying to get pregnant. you can ask them questions about it. good luck! i hope everything goes well!
|

thank you! thats great
|

I have three children and I have PCOS. I found out that I had it about 2 months after I had my first baby (6 years ago). I also have had lots of problems with missed periods. I have gone as long as 8 months without having one. I found out that I had PCOS because I was unable to breastfeed and the doctors did a whole bunch of tests. Just recently I have found out that this is a common side affect with PCOS if you have the side affect of breast atrophy. I was not able to produce milk for any of my children. But just to let you know, I got pregnant with my second on Metformin and stayed on it, in a low dose, for my entire pregnancy. It was my best pregnancy and birth. I would definately stay on the metfomin, but I would also recomend doing a cleans for you entire body. I did one right before I got pregnant with my third. I am now able to manage my PCOS with diet, excersize, and natural suppliments. But I think that I was only able to do this due to the cleans. Don't give up, and don't loose hope. Just because we PCOS women have to work harder to conceve and be healthy, dosn't mean that in the end it wasn't all worth it. Everything in life is meant to learn and grow from. You're already one step ahead in just knowing that you have PCOS.
|
Users who thank workoutgirl for this post: cutegirlsmarty 

replied January 6th, 2008
three children! thats great! congratulations on all your little bundles of joy.
at the risk of sounding foolish what is a cleans? and i am currently in my 7th month of no period,but as we are sort of trying i wouldnt know if i were or not untill i go and see my doctor next week.But also the last few days i have had a feeling that i dont think i have had before,its like i am going to come on my period but there is not sign of it yet.also my lower back is aching which i havent had before and i just ache in my lower abs/ovaries and that area! does this mean the metformin is working? :S
|

replied April 19th, 2009
PCOS and Missed abortion
I have PCOS. I am 31 . We are trying to get pregnant since last 3 years but could not. We consulted a fertility expert. She put me on superovulation ( medicines - siphene and lynoral) . conducted a managed cycle with foliicular study triggered by HCG injection.
I ovulated as a result . Three IUI cycles were unsuccessful. In fourth cycle I got pregnant by unfortunately we lost it within 7 weeks. It was a missed abortion. I want to know, once ovulation is done by medication, can PCOS affect fertilisation of ovum and development of fetus ? What measures can be taken to see that it does not happen again?
I request to share your experiences with me on this. Thanks
|