Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

allergic to onions (Page 1)

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
Anyone else allergic to onions? I found out a couple of years ago that I am, they make my throat swell up. I'm too afraid to test the different types to see what they'll do, if anything. I know the powdered kind doesn't do anything, so far.
I haven't heard of anyone else being allergic to onions, so if anyone out there is, let me know, and what you do to eat normal food. (I have to be super careful because onions are in everything.)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rynada
|

replied January 22nd, 2008
i am allergic to onions too.
it sucks to be allergic to onions... Embarassed
i can't kiss my boyfriend after he eats some onions... ahhh.... i hate it! Evil or Very Mad
|

replied December 16th, 2012
allergic to raw onions?
does anyone know what cooks out of raw onions??? i am allergic to raw onions i cant breathe and i have a rash anywhere they touch my body.. but i can eat cooked ones...
|

replied January 31st, 2008
organic onions, too?
My sister has a similar problem, her throat starts to close up when she eats any produce that has been treated with certain pesticides (or at least that's the theory) -- not just onions. She's only been able to figure this out by trial and error with various organic produce. She never has a problem with the organic stuff.

So, hey, maybe there's hope for you yet. Maybe it's just trace elements of pesticide you're allergic too! Try picking up an organic onion and giving it a taste test. It's a long shot, but I think I'd cry if I couldn't eat onions. scared
|

replied September 4th, 2012
Allergic to Onions
When I eat onions my chest tightens and it feels like Im coming down with a upper respitory infection.
|

replied September 4th, 2012
Allergic to Onions
When I eat onions my chest tightens and it feels like Im coming down with a upper respitory infection.
|

replied February 8th, 2008
Sulfur?
Are you allergic to sulfur drugs? Because suflur drugs are related to onions and garlic. I am allergic to garlic like your onions I can't breath or swallow. And I stay clear from onions too. Like onions and garlic they are high in sulfur.
|
Users who thank silverbullet71 for this post: eHerndon 

replied August 22nd, 2008
allergic reaction to onions
Hi! I'm new to this forum. I'm highly allergic to Onions, just the smell of them cooking will cut of my breathing.

Prior to getting lunch, I spoke to one of the food servers at our company picnic, and was told that no food was prepared with onions or onion powder. I began to eat my lunch of beef, potatoes and a salad, and all of a sudden my throat starts to tighten up and close off.

The potatoes had green onions chopped up so fine that I didn't notice.
I found out different when I start pucking and swallowing water was not possible since my throat had closed off.

Why all of sudden are my allergies going out of control? I never had allergies growing up.
|

replied January 25th, 2009
Allergic to onions
Hi all. I would like to say thnks to the person who posted the comment about sulfa and onion allergies. I am allergic to sulfa meds and within the last year, became sick when i eat onions. I get a bad stomachache, headache, light sensitivity. It stinks bc right now I am in the desert deployed with the military and almost every food at the chow hall has onions. i have been very sick lately.
|

replied January 30th, 2009
allergic to onions too
I hate being allergic to onions I cried once it was confirmed my wheezing and nausea was caused by raw and now cooked onions. In my culture onions is a main ingredient in many meals. I cook less now because of it.Sad
|

replied February 12th, 2009
allergic to onions too
I just found out that all of my allergic reactions to foods are from onions. Is there any help out there for any of us that have this allergy? I can't seem to find anything.
|

replied January 16th, 2013
Going through the discussions here, it seems that there is information at ithyroid.com. I have the same problem, and can cook with dehydrated onions only, but can eat cooked union as long as it is thoroughly cooked.
|

replied March 4th, 2009
Crazy? Me or the onion?
When I was a little girl I would run to my dads garden with a salt shaker in hand and eat all the baby onions I could find right out of the garden. I loved onions any which way they came. Well! About 2 years ago I discovered that every time I eat an onion, raw or cooked. The smell and taste in my mouth would become soooo overwhelming I couldn�t bare to be around myself. No matter how many times I would brush and floss and gargle the taste wouldn�t leave for several several hours. Also my lips would feel like they were swollen not Angelina Jolie swollen but I could tell they were not themselves, shortly there after my hands would feel swollen and would become so irritable that I felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin or cry. The only thing that seems to remotely help these symptoms is a lot of water all at once. Not long after that I discovered that garlic has the same affect on me. Does anyone else have these symptoms? Or am I crazy?
|

replied June 3rd, 2012
I get the same symptoms when I eat raw onions. I have been searching for an answer without success
|

replied March 17th, 2009
onion strangeness
For me, any sort of onion causes a horrible drowsiness. Fresh, powdered, any trace of onion in salad dressing or whatever! Its horrible. The grogginess puts me out for a couple of hours and when I finally wake up, its not a refreshed sleep at all. I think there are other foods that do this, but I'm not sure how to figure it out. The onion problem was the easiest to figure out.
|

replied April 6th, 2009
allergic to onions
I just came back from the ER last night. I was eating a spicy meal with 1 onion, jalapeno and sambal olek (chili paste) in it, when 10 min into dinner my mouth went numb and my chest, arms and legs gave out I could not feel them anymore. My left side of the face went numb and I could not even communicate to my husband what was wrong with me. I panicked and started yelling and crying uncontrollably. He called 911 in panic and they were there within seconds. My brain went blank in that second and I could neither talk, nor think straight. In the hospital they asked me to fill out documents- my arm was so numb (hand included) that I wrote like a second grader and I had to spell out everything loud since my brain just did not want to function. It got better within 30 min or arriving in the ER- now a day later I still feel weak, mouth still feels weird and my hands are still not back to regular strength. When I told my Doc a few years ago that I had an allergic reaction to a RED onion- she laughed at me and said...okaaaaaaay!!! I had not had a red onion since, but obviously the allergy has evolved! Grrrrrrr
|
Users who thank gennyd for this post: eHerndon 

User Profile
replied May 18th, 2009
Onions are my Kryptonite (spelling?)
I too was an onion lover as a hispanic child I was often rushed to the hospital with mysterious illnesses that could not be diagnosed correctly, usually it occured after a juicey hamburger topped with a thick slice of bermuda onion at a family cookout. Noone ever linked my numerous health issues with onions. For over 20 years I suffered and spent many weeks in hospitals while they tried to figure it out. I became pregnant at 27 and craved chow mein (mainly onions)that was when I realized my problem was onions. I have not eaten one since, unless unknowingly, and then I pay with a vengance, nausea, swollen lips with little blisters all around the edge of them, swollen tongue and itchy throat, unending thirst, stabbing pains in my stomach, gas, diareah, body swelling, irritability and the worst part, I can't sleep for 24 to 48 hours ( it's like I took speed). All those sleepless nights as a child and hyperactive days in school explained at last. Just the smell of them makes me ill, the taste in my mouth won't leave, it's unbearable. They are hidden in everything everywhere. It's so hard to eat out or at someone elses house. People think your nuts when you tell them you are allergic to onions. I'm 58 now and it only gets worse not better. The weird thing is I can eat garlic and scallions with no reaction, and some vinegar based salsas w/onions in it, also dehydrated onions only give a very mild reaction, but I never know when my throat will close up, it has happened an is very scarey. My heart goes out to all those afflicted with this intolerance. My remedy when exposed is lots of water all at once, benadryl,asprin,and a bathroom.
|

replied July 4th, 2011
onion allergy.
I, too have recently figured out that I have a problem with onions. However, if they are sweet onions and are marinated in vinegar, I don't seem to have the problem. It stinks, as you know because I love the taste. How are you coping with the problem?
P.
|

replied August 2nd, 2011
what can I do being Hispanic and all we do is cook with onions and garlic help me out I just found out today that I can't eat onions anymore my tongue swells, and my throat close and I no long can breath right. what do I do when it comes to cooking?
|

replied June 25th, 2012
I developed my allergy to onions in the last 30 years (I'm 58 also) I did not know it was an allergy to onions until I went to a friend's house after thy had dinner a hour and a half before. The smell of onions was still in the air. Within a half an hour from entering the house they were taking me to the ER in anaphilactic shock!
Since then my family and friends let me know if something they cook has onions (of any kind) in it. If it is a favorite dish , they may even have cookid my portion first without the onions. Still, I keep Benedryl (generic=Diphenhydramine) in my purse for any time I am out and I cannot order something without onions (or MSG). If I know I am going to be around them...I take a Benedryl. If not, or if that was not effective, I take another. My physician told me that if the second one does not work, go to the ER immediately. I have learned the hard way to be pro-active protecting myself.
|

User Profile
replied May 18th, 2009
Experienced User
help for onion allergie
ther are mentions for sulfur disballance. sulfur is involved with minerals a good educational site for mineral balance is ithyroid.com it teaches how to avoid health issues similar to what you are all experiencing. allergies are an indication of a deficient imune system & a alkalizing diet would help a lot of those suffering from this irritation as the foods some of you have mentioned are extremely acid.
|

replied May 25th, 2009
Allergic to onions
Onions never bothered me thoughout my life but lately I've noticed that after I eat something with onion in it, especially the red ones, my mouth goes dry, tongue feels swollen, and my throat is scratchy, plus I need to drink a lot of water.

My suspicions were confirmed once I read some of the other entries. Will confirm with my doctor.
|

replied June 8th, 2009
Raw red onion
Hi All (particularly KarmaConscious!)

I'm a 32yo white male living in the UK, with Welsh heritage. I suffer from the same symptoms after eating raw red onion as KarmaConscious.

Particularly when I was younger, I had a few occasions where I had slight panic attacks due to the after effects of eating raw red onion. Usually, the worst effects came the day after. I would feel shakey, nauseous, have gas, nervous and anxious. Kind of freaked out, like a drug comedown - and the parallels with taking speed were there too, in that I felt like my nervous system was 'stressed', making me hear my own heartbeat if my ear was on the pillow and preventing sleep somewhat.

I find 'grazing' helps though, if I am suffering from the effects of eating red onion. If my stomach is empty, the headache/rattling/etc is worse.

I recently had an experience of eating red onion in the last few days. My symptoms were as described above, although much more general and less severe. I have had an upset stomach, slight pain behind my left ribs, gas, slight headache, tiredness and weakness, thirst, irritability, feeling of 'stress' and emotionality, unable to concentrate, and most bizarrely some light twitching of muscles!! I've broken out in a couple of mouth/throat ulcers too.

I won't be eating red onion again!! I can still function with the above symptoms, they aren't 'severe' enough to stop me from functioning, but concentrating on daily tasks has been super hard as you can imagine.

One last thing, coffee and alcohol seem to make it all much worse - as though my stomach lining is irritated, and the harshness of coffee/alcohol really doesn't help.

Would love to hear from anyone that would like to write to discuss experiences - dwtramsey at gmail dot com

Take care x
|
Users who thank dwtramsey for this post: Jenantonic 

replied June 28th, 2009
How Bad can it Be ?
Onions:
Yup, it might be uncommon... but there are a lot of people with it, which makes the Internet one cool tool!

There are a few different groups of "problems".
Mine allows me to enjoy GARLIC, but
Onions, Chives, Cilantro, Leeks, Shallots are a NO NO!
Raw, cooked, powdered

I've traced the problem back to the following;
I ate a lot of onions and onion rings as a kid.
I took a LOT of TETRACYCLINE between ages 15 and 18.
The problems began at about age 16.
I have a SLIGHTLY ELEVATED Liver Enzyme.

I get, to varying degrees, headaches, fatigue, loss of coherence (dizzy thinking), photo sensitive, reddish skin tone.
The worst is that I fear a hear attack, as it seems to affect an enzyme in muscles, and I have collapsed, twisted my ankle, and had the inability to stand, walk, hold on to anything. Yes, it's really hard when people make soup, stew, Italian, Mexican. Pretty much, if I don't make it, or KNOW the person that mad it, I am suspect. I know I'm not alone, I just wish there was a cure, a pill, or something to make it POSSIBLE to enjoy them... but I've walked through a kitchen with onions cooking, and fell! If I TOUCH something with onions in it, with my left hand, I feel a pain shoot up my left arm... gotta love it... !
|

I had to stop working in the food industry altogether due to similar reactions. I've had to leave friends' houses and public places or I was going to sufficate!
|

replied June 28th, 2009
Wiki info - Read It !

There are specific attributes that MAY exist onlt in certain Alliums (onion family). Seems that someday, WE could be cured! Ahhh, how I long for the simplicity!
|

replied July 7th, 2009
Bad skin reaction to onion and garlic
My skin will get bad irritation or cut immediately after I touch onion or garlic. It hurts and takes couple of weeks to heal completely. However, I have no problem eating them.
With such reaction on my skin, I am just wondering would it be possible that onion and garlic will do something invisible by me in my system?
|

replied July 30th, 2009
I have a strange reaction to eating raw onions and garlic. On top of feeling a horrible taste in the mouth from the first bite, being thirsty all the time, I can't fall asleep for a long time and when I finally fall asleep, it's awful, I toss and turn all night long.

Sometimes when I cut fresh onion, if my eyes start to water, the hell breaks. My nasal passages instantly clog up for hours and the eyelids swell. I can't breath thru my nose for a couple of hours and my face looks like I just woke up.

But working with raw garlic is not an issue at all.

My main concern is a ruined night sleep and that nothing takes away the awful taste in the mouth and unpleasant feeling in the stomach.

I learned from my own experience not to eat fresh onion and garlic starting from lunch time. I can eat just a bit in the morning. Also, sweet Vidalia onion seams to be OK for me.

So far I could not find anybody on the net who has similar reactions. As a matter of fact I read raw onions is a "good remedy" for good night sleep!
|

replied August 2nd, 2009
Food allergy: Onions...
Does anyone have any idea of how many people in America are allergic to onions? Do you have to struggle to find foods on grocery shelves or when getting take home food, that don't have onions? Please pm me.
|

replied July 25th, 2011
allergy to garlic,onion (entire Lily family of plants) and sulfa
I am allergic to entire Lily Family of Plants, Garlic, Onion, Shallots, Chives, Asparagus and sasarparilla root. When first found out was blood test (had everyday headaches) - now if I accidentally ingest a minute amount of onion, garlic or other Lily family - I get beginning of fatigue, sneezing, sinuses swell up bad and eyes burn and water with blood shot look and impending migraine begins overnight -- with bad nausea and dry heaves that can last 3 days. Doctor said AVOID it is only way. If you encounter it best thing to do is DRINK WATER and take Benedryl and keep drinking WATER to FLUSH the allergen out of your system. Any food allergy is like a poison to one who is allergic to it. I do most my own cooking, never trust ingredients that says SPICES, Flavorings - usually means they've slipped onion or garlic into the food. I can have Hellmans MAYO as it does not have garlic and also Generic Brands of Mustard. I hope i helped someone.
All I can say is GARLIC & ONION should not be in 89% of groceries you want to buy. Best to you all!
Also I am allergic to SULFA Drugs - go figure.
|

replied July 25th, 2011
allergy to garlic,onion (entire Lily family of plants) and sulfa
I am allergic to entire Lily Family of Plants, Garlic, Onion, Shallots, Chives, Asparagus and sasarparilla root. When first found out was blood test (had everyday headaches) - now if I accidentally ingest a minute amount of onion, garlic or other Lily family - I get beginning of fatigue, sneezing, sinuses swell up bad and eyes burn and water with blood shot look and impending migraine begins overnight -- with bad nausea and dry heaves that can last 3 days. Doctor said AVOID it is only way. If you encounter it best thing to do is DRINK WATER and take Benedryl and keep drinking WATER to FLUSH the allergen out of your system. Any food allergy is like a poison to one who is allergic to it. I do most my own cooking, never trust ingredients that says SPICES, Flavorings - usually means they've slipped onion or garlic into the food. I can have Hellmans MAYO as it does not have garlic and also Generic Brands of Mustard. I hope i helped someone.
All I can say is GARLIC & ONION should not be in 89% of groceries you want to buy. Best to you all!
Also I am allergic to SULFA Drugs - go figure.
|

replied February 16th, 2012
Number of People Allergic to Onions
3% of the American population is allergic to onions. This seems to be on the rise, as there seems to be about 6% of children who are allergic. Sulfa drugs and any foods in the same family as onions (Alliums) can also cause an allergic reaction in some individuals. Lillies are in this same family, and some will also have a reaction to the pollen from these flowers.
|

yes, and it annoys friends and family when I can't eat what they serve or have to leave when they are cooking onions. Sad
|