Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

Monistat vs.canesten

Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
I don't currently have a yeast infection, I just saw a commercial and it made me wonder which brand is best. I have used Monistat in the past (always right before bed), but I didn't like the way it leaked, it made me feel gross. Canesten looks like a solid tablet from the picture on the box, is it solid or more like a Monistat tablet?

So.. which is better Monistat or Canesten? Opinions please!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper anony88
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Probably both the same, actually. If Canesten is a tablet you insert in your vagina, it has to melt to work, that's just how they work. So they will both be leaky. I've used Monistat and generic versions and they've both worked about the same.
|

replied January 1st, 2008
Georgia59 wrote:
Probably both the same, actually. If Canesten is a tablet you insert in your vagina, it has to melt to work, that's just how they work. So they will both be leaky. I've used Monistat and generic versions and they've both worked about the same.

Makes sense. Thanks for your input.
|

replied February 27th, 2009
I've used Canesten, the tablet form.
I can reassure you that this one is leaky as well, lol 0.0 Unfortunately, my 3day treatment didn't work, my doctor advised me that I should've bought a 5+day one.

I went to Shoppers (drug mart) today, and asked a pharmacist what he'd recommend. He says that the cream treatment would work better than the tablet. So, I bought a monistat 7 day treatment cream (prefilled applicators) T_T I hope this one won't be more icky..
|

replied July 5th, 2009
I've tried both the Canesten Comfort tabs & the monistat 7 day cream and there are pros and cons for both, although I have to choose Monsitat 7 day cream applicators as the winner. I agree with others who say that the monistat cream makes a MESS and makes you feel a little gross the next morning BUT I find that the product has gotten rid of my infection every time. Canesten comfort tabs, though less messy, had a down fall that I personally extremely disliked. The tablets break down and go all chalky and lumpy (at least thats what I found) and although its not a gushy mess all at once when you get up in the morning, it slowly leaks out ALL DAY, and the dry clumpy bits I found irratated me a little down there. Both come with an external cream tube that work wonders.
|

replied July 15th, 2009
I prefer AZO Yeast 3x a day with infection and 1x a day with no infection to prevent future infections. It's a tablet you take oral.
|

replied July 15th, 2009
I've used monistat before it really works but feels very uncomfortable(nasty). I've never used canesten.
|

replied July 15th, 2009
I've used monistat before it really works but feels very uncomfortable(nasty). I've never used canesten.
|

replied July 28th, 2009
i have just tried canesten that was reccomended by a parmacist. I have only used monostat before and was willing to try something different and less messy. I found that i was more itchy and more uncomfortable with the canesten due to the fact that when is desolves it does leave little granuales and is very chalky. I found it irritated the delicate tissue even more when wiping "ouch". Im definatly going back to monostate its much more soothing.
|

replied October 13th, 2009
yeast infection
I've used both brands, both are quite leaky and messy, I wouldn't reccomend the tablet if you are sore on the out side as it gets chalky and hurts to clean afterwards. Both canesten cream and monistat cream are both good. depending on how bad your infection is choose the amount of days as necessary.
|

replied October 19th, 2010
I have used monistat 1, 3 and 7 day. I have not used canesten, but what goes in must come out LOL Old rule. I wouls have to recommend AZO. This is a pill that you take orally. Monistat works for me, but I hate the mess. When I used AZO I was wondering if it really works. I got the box it says if you have a yeast infection take a pill 3 times a day, or if no yeast take once a day for prevention. I took the pill at 3:00 by 4:00nthe same day symptoms was gone. This was the best $8.00 I have spend all my life. AZO for yeast infections A-1
|

replied October 30th, 2010
treatment
if you're looking for a "quick fix" or a non-messy treatment, ask your doctor about diflucan. its a prescription pill, you just take one and within 3 days, all the pain, the itchiness and the infection are gone! It's not a "cure" but its an alternative to using monistat and canesten.

however (for those with reoccuring infections), i used diflucan for a good two years. every time i felt something funny, i took it. i recently visited a gyno and she told me that where diflucan is good, it doesnt get rid of the yeast infection altogether. so she told me to use monistat 3day (i used the pre-filled ones) and then she put me on a (prescribed) treatment called fermalac. you insert one "pill" every night for 10 nights. it basically gives you back all the bacteria you've lost during the infection. i'm on day 3 of the fermalac and so far so good!
|

replied September 10th, 2011
which Azo do I buy?
|

I continue to have this horrid yeast infection even as I do everything inmy power to avoid it, or so I thought. I just read the some of the main causes for it is if you happen to eat lots of sugary foods, as well as starchy or high on yeast themselves, for this will feed the Yeast and cause the unbalance which leads to the infection. Echinacea, Oregano, Yogurt (natural spessially homemade or Dannon)Vitamin C in a regular diet help prevent it quite well. And also I just foundout that ALL the underwear you use when the infection happens MUST be either tossed out or washed with Dawn dish soap, since it is the only soap that will throughly kill the remaining if the infection left behind on them which causes in most cases the infection to reocurre. NOW, I have used the Monistat 7 day treatments, no side effects, I go to sleep without any trouble downthere, the cream that comes with it works wonders. I'm reading about the AZO thingy pill, now would it affect or interfiere if I was to take it along with the Monistat treatment? I have a very oversencitive system (which is why I cant use most medicine, only natural remedies or gentle over the counter ones) and how natural are they?
|

does anyone knows how to tream male yeast infection?
|
Quick Reply