Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Chat Forum

White discharge around vaginal opening

Must Read
The loss of bladder control affects about 17 million people in the U.S. But what is incontinence? How does female incontinence occur? ...
Incontinence can be caused by mechanical, anatomic or medical issues. But what are these? And who is at risk of developing bladder problems?...
Urinary incontinence symptoms range from mild to severe. Learn to identify signs of bladder control problems and know when to seek help here....
I was unsure where to post this. I thought about posting this in the Am I Pregnant board but I don't think I am. So I am posting this here.

I am suppose to start today but so far am showing none of the normal signs am about to start. And quite frankly I can't even remember if me and the hubby had sex this month because it has been so crazy around here. But here is the thing for the past week I have been have an unusual discharge so to speak. For much of the week I had a white almost paste type discharge stuff around the vaginal opening. Did not smell icky or anything. Then that went away and now its more a stringy type discharge out of the vagina. Once again does not smell or have a strange color. Its more a white or egg white type deal. Is this normal before a period comes or could something else be going on. Like I said it does not smell or anything. Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 30th, 2007
Experienced User
it is common to have some discharge before your period, but there is also something called an implantation discharge. i would make sure to wash well and keep an eye on it. if it continues after the first, i would go see a doctor and/or take a test.
|

Experienced User
thanks jaynemae I will keep an eye on it. Hopefully I will start tonight or tomorrow. If not I will test if it does not show before friday.
|

Especially eHealthy
That sounds like normal, healthy discharge to me... it even changed texture just like it should. Discharge normally changes throughout your cycle from thick and pasty to thin and almost watery to completely absent.
|

replied January 27th, 2008
hello ok here it is i just got off my period about 2 days ago and started noticing a white kinda pasty discharge... i never had b4 my period is this a problem and i really dont have anasty smell to it either..help please!!
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2008
Supporter
your discharge sounds normal. Throughout my cycle i get discharge of different colour and consistency, ranging from thick and white to stretchy and clear. The only reason you should be concerned is if it has a foul smell or is lumpy like cottage cheese, or is accompanied by other symptoms. what are you worried about, infection or pregnancy?
|

thanks alot :)
im really worried about infection..... should i be??
|

User Profile
Supporter
the only reason you should be worried about infection is if you have any pain or swelling, or if your discharge is lumpy or foul smelling. To me, all you have described is normal discharge!! i get white dischage too. it's normal.
|

Extremely eHealthy
discharge
Vaginal discharge is not only normal but is necessary for women. The discharge will change consistency during the normal cycle and is dependent on hormone levels. The very thin, almost clear, stringy discharge is known as spinbarkite. The mucus of the vagina thins out like this about 7 days prior to ovulation. This thinning of the mucus allows sperm to swim through the mucus to the cervix and allow fertalization of the egg to occur. Once ovulation is over the mucus thickens again and may have a clumpy texture. This will prevent any sperm at this point to enter the cervix. Following this you will get your period. All of this is normal.

A yeast infection will be white discharge that has a cottage cheese consistency. It will cause the labia to itch. Burning during urination is common white a yeast infection. There may be a slight odor with a yeast infection. Monostat is an over the counter preparation to treat a yeast infection.

Any discolored or foul smelling discharge warrants a trip to the gynecologist. This is could be the signs of an infection. Waiting for discolored or foul smelling discharge to go away spontaneously on its own is not good and potentially dangerous. It can lead to a more serious infection that ascends into the pelvis.

When in doubt see your doctor. Good luck.
|

replied October 8th, 2009
after sex my mate experience redness around his penis and skin peeling or thats what it looks like.this only happen when we have sex after the period of ovulation.maybe i should see a doctor.because i'm not sexually active i have only been with one man.
|

replied February 12th, 2012
hi guys the thing is av been getting this white discharge for least 3 years that's won't go away it just sticks around the labia area that's before and after a bath it doesn't seen to go away, plus been suffering with bv for about 15 years now and its got to the point the tablets and the cream you get off your doctor ain't working, plus been using balance active. now that doesn't seen to be working anymore, so now on my second day using yogurt and takin probiotics & folid acid just hope this works cause am running out off ideas.
|