Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

tight stomach muscles from tmj

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Does anyone have tight stomach muscles from tmj and see their stomach constantly rumbling and tight?

I know its related to my tmj and i can't seem to stop it and it think its destroying my stomach and immune system how does one stop it...Its from a pinched nerve i think in my tmj area..Its actualyl more painful and annoying than the tmj pain...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 29th, 2007
Experienced User
i even did a search on this and basically wikipedia shows this type of pain is neuralgic in nature which i already knew...

"While conventional analgesic pain killers such as paracetamol or NSAIDs provide initial relief for some sufferers, the pain is often more neuralgic in nature which often does not respond well to these drugs.[citation needed]

An alternative approach is for pain modification, for which off-label use of low-doses of Tricyclic antidepressant that have anti-muscarinic properties (e.g. Amitriptyline or the less sedative Nortriptyline) generally prove more effective"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporomandib ular_joint_disorder#Pain_relief

then i looked up
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-muscarin ic

And a lot of the drugs are antispasmodic which is basically what is needed to control this maybe pepperment could control this as i have taken the tea and it calms it down a little...
|

User Profile
replied December 30th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yes a lot of us hae tight muscles--use heat and ice to relax the muscles --you can also use mssage and muscle relaxers.
|

replied December 30th, 2007
Experienced User
the only thing that works is ativan which is a muscle relaxer for that...im sick of taking drugs tho i dont like feeling spaced out just to loosen my stomach...heat pads get annoying too maybe i should buy an electronic one so i don't have to keep getting water and heating it all the time..

i thought magnesium would help this but so far it seems like its doing nothing...i need more calcium probably too
|

User Profile
replied December 31st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
some things dont work for some people. it really just depends on you. have you tried flexeril? I dont take anything for it . i just live with it from day to day. yes get an electric heating pad. you can even get on that has a little cloth that you can get wet so that you have moist heat.
|

replied July 15th, 2010
Experienced User
My tight stomach muscles were mainly caused by medication ativan withdrawal not tmj...It took me 2 years to figure out what it was from.
|

replied April 5th, 2012
What do you mean by tight muscles? Is it from the inside or outside? I believe I may have stomach problems which are linked to tmj.....

What do you think?

Thanks.

Max
|
Quick Reply