Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

I Constantly Feel Like I'm Sick! (health Phobia?)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I have severe anxiety / panic disorder.
I ALWAYS feel like i'm sick (chest pain, choking (lump in throat), headache, stomach ache, muscle ache, backache.. EVERYDAY ITS SOMTHING NEW!)

I constantly convince myself that I have some horrible disease.

I can't go one day without thinking somthings wrong with my body. Just once I'd like to have a day where I can say "I feel GREAT today!"

is this normal for someone with anxiety / panic disorder?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Yes this is normal. These pains can feel very real to you, but the main problem is really only your panic...

Have you seen a doctor about your disorder?
|

Yes I have, I was presribed lexapro (I didnt take it yet) I don't know if its for me, or if I need somthing stronger for my Panic Attacks. I have to see my new psychiatrist and see what he thinks I should take.

I'm just sick of feeling scared of everything... all the time.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Maybe try a psychologist- look for one with experience in anxiety disorders- cbt maybe? Especially if you're not fond of the medication.

And try the lexapro, it really might help.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Take a breath and relax. I took lexapro for my depression too. You will just have to figure out what works best for you. I have tried many different medications, but none worked for me. Buspar is very effective with panic attacks. I know because I did take it to help me relax and fall asleep in the evenings, and it was somewhat ok. I had an Aunt that was using it for a long time and it made things much much better for her.

You might want to ask your psychiatrist about this drug.

Don't be afraid. Nothing terrible is going to happen like you think it will. You already know for a fact that all the pains and anxieties you feel is from your condition, so that's a good thing!

Take a moment to stop and breath and tell yourself that what you are going through is something that you can overcome. Tell your body what to do, don't let it control you. Then see your psychiatrist as soon as you can.

Good luck.
|

replied January 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hate to be blunt but, almost sounds like you may have a little bit of hyocondria going on here. I would seek some kind of proffessional help.

P.S. I also tend to lean to that side many times. I have learned through the years to meditate more and get rid of those worries. Like cancer for instance. Runs in my family (mothers side) I am always worried I might have colon cancer. And ever since my brain bleed back in 2003, I am always worried and go right into a panic attack if I get a more then normal sinus like headache. You are not alone my dear friend.

Roses and Good Thoughts,
Carrie
|

User Profile
replied December 26th, 2011
Panic attack worries
You Guys Are Really Not Alone cause i have the same thing here. panic and i feel like i wanna through out something headach and worries all time
|

replied March 21st, 2012
Have some of the same issues
you shouldnt say that person sounds like a hypochondia because ive been told that i was for years...i would always get upset about it because i always was sick, scared,and had some major anxiety/depression. ive been on zolft (for short) and now i cant leave my house because i may have some sort of rare stomach diesease...(and always need to be by my bathroom) so please dont say that, that person is a hypochondia because she might have something seriously wrong with her...thanks
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2008
Experienced User
kind of
i can relate to some of it. mine is like everyday i wake up i feel its a repeat of syntoms.

its either feelin hot and sweaty in my hands or just can't be still for a secound to relax.

and worry all the time,and panic i do think i got a panic disorder or something been like this for almost 3weeks now.

but i just try to make it day by day hope we all get back to normal we don't deserve this..nobody doe's.
|

replied August 18th, 2009
Hi, I would like to say that I experienced similar symptoms. My GP referred me to a counselor (which actually helped). She recommended me one book you might want to check it out (i.e. library or buy online) - it really helped me. Book title: The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook: 4th Edition by Edmund J. Bourne.

Hope this helps!
|

replied August 20th, 2009
I used to get that like 2 years ago! I hated it, I convinced byself that I had a disease and that I might die or that I always had the flu. I just needed to calm down and say, " It's okay, your not sick." and slowly it all went away. Just cool down. Good luck!
|

replied August 20th, 2009
Chronic stress is exhausting!! Absolutely you can feel I'll a lot.I think everyone with anxiety/panic attacks feels this way.it's adrenal exhaustion. It stinks. Mine come in clusters then goes away for months..then it returns.some go on meds and some don't.i've been dealing with this fir about 18 years. I did try meds and stopped about 6 years ago.I know this is self inflicted so I'm trying all different things now.I like springforest qigong and I try to stay positive..it's hard.sometimes I really wonder if I just face into my fears what would really happen. I have fainted..no big deal really..I really don't get vicious cycle I'm in.anxiety is a natural reaction..panic is just anxiety in overdrive..I'm not sure this is something that is cured but maybe just tamed..maybe that's part of the solution.just thinking out loud.
|

replied July 6th, 2011
Feeling lost
I feel like I'm loosing reality. Generally isn't severe on a day to day basis, that's just when I feel weird. But when something isn't right; like I'm sick or for instance right now my right arm has swollen after having blood drawn. I went to the ER. I cried in the ER room AFTER the doc came in and told me it was an irritated nerve from the blood draw. I sat in that room bawling at all the thoughts running through my head. How badly I want to live and watch my children grow and spend all those years with my husband and all this stuff just comes crashing on me EVERYTIME I'm not feeling well or something isn't right. Then the everyday anxiety is there even when this anxiety isn't. I feel like I'm going insane!
|

replied January 15th, 2012
worse than panic attack
I can very much so relate. Turns out in my case my thyroid levels are off. I went to the ER; it was like pulling teeth to get them to test my TSH. At that, it was at the low end of the "ok" range but they did NOT test T3 and T4. The ER also told me it was not my thyroid! They also said my heart my heart was fine and lungs clear. I went back to have all 3 tested 2 weeks later(5 days ago); TSH is now way too high now! If the ER would have tested T3 and T4 at the same time as TSH, my Endocrinologist would have more to go on. My Dr just raised my Synthroid dosage and now have to wait 6-8 weeks before retesting but hope I get relief with in 2 weeks. I've been super hungry, can't get full, always feel shaky, and get these chest pains on my right side. I'm exhausted but am not able to sleep more than 3 hours at a time, if that, and sweat to the point I drench my clothes. My joints & muscles hurt so bad. It feels at times like I'm being virtually strangled and hard to breathe. My throat feels coated, too. I have a hard time remembering things and over think the things I do. I've been taking life hour to hour and have been so scared I can hardly think on my own. My family wanted me to check myself in, I nearly did! I too feel like I've been losing my mind. Endocrinologist said Yes it effects ALL of these things including my mood! It's an auto-immune thyroid disease that just hasn't been managed properly in my case. It's been a tough go feeling like I'm getting sick and worse ALL the time! Debilitating. I sure hope this helps someone else. Best of luck!
|

replied December 18th, 2012
I really.need help i want my old life back and too be happy again these days im.just barley getting by...iv been suffering now for 3 years but at first it wernt so bad.i feel pregnant after being told i couldnt have kids and things have just got worse.my son is comming up to 11months and by god i love him so much but i cry myself to sleep everynight knowing i cant or anit being the mum he needs..i take 150 sertline and is not working but the doctor says he cant just change me..i cant go out or if i do its a 5miniut walk with my mum to the shop.i cant do public transport or anytransport other than my family cant go shoping(well u get the picture)worse thing is as soon as i wake untill i go to sleep im ferling sick which scares me sooo much.i really need help
|

replied December 19th, 2012
I can also relate. I have been dealing with symptoms such as yours for many years. I also did not want to take traditional meds for my problem. I tend to look for a more homeopathic approach to cure my ailments. The best thing I have found to supplement my relaxation exercises is called Nutri-Calm. Hope you feel better soon. Good luck Smile
|

replied February 23rd, 2013
I hate it hate it hate it... None of you guys are not alone... I must say that I am more of a hypochondriac.... I ALWAYS feel as if I have some sort of deadly disease.. Especially after watching my aunt die of colon cancer at the exact same age as my grandmother....It's so had when your brain is sending out these messages through out your body that you are sick....I tried zoloft but could not stay on those long. I actually felt worse....Every other month it appears I have some sort of disease....I suffer from IBS muscle tension, tingly hands and feet and achey joints.... Feeling like that on a daily basis would make anyone feel as if they're sick...Now I am having issues urinating.. For about a week now I've been urinating CLEAR urine more than usual and feeling very thirsty along with the tingling sensation in hands and feet... When I google symptoms it is clearly leaning towards diabetes...Just about everything scares me and I am so tired of it....About 85% of time I am feeling this way and the other 15% I am feeling ok but still worry that I am gonna have an attack at any day though...I do feel some relief that many others are experiencing the same issues as I... I wish you all the best and hope one day that we all can kick anxiety in the butt!
|