Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Will It Affect My Baby Not Taking Folic Acid?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
i found out i was pregnant on my 5th week so i missed out on the 12 weeks before pregnancy and those 5 weeks of pregnancy for taking folic acid,

once i found out i was pregnant i started taking it however it was making my morning sickness worse and i couldnt keep them down, stupid i know.
now im 12 weeks on wednesday and still havnt taken any or rather kept any down and everyone keeps tellin me its vital is this realy true?

have i affected my baby, i know of women who didnt take it once and had no problems with their babies?

any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper **Rachael**
|

replied December 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I haven't taken it and my baby so far has been healthy and is ready to come any time now (well, I hope).. If you can't keep them down ask your doctor if there is anything else you can take that wont make you sick
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: Will It Affect My Baby Not Taking Folic Acid?
**Rachael** wrote:
i found out i was pregnant on my 5th week so i missed out on the 12 weeks before pregnancy and those 5 weeks of pregnancy for taking folic acid,

once i found out i was pregnant i started taking it however it was making my morning sickness worse and i couldnt keep them down, stupid i know.
now im 12 weeks on wednesday and still havnt taken any or rather kept any down and everyone keeps tellin me its vital is this realy true?

have i affected my baby, i know of women who didnt take it once and had no problems with their babies?

any ideas?

I've never heard of anyone having problems because they lacked folic acid in their diets while pregnant but I'd ask your dr. if you are worried about it. My mom never took it with my brother and I when she was prego and we came out fine lol! I wouldnt worry about it, just continue taking them. I threw up a lot in the beggining of my pregnancy but now I'm at 40 weeks and both baby and I are doing great. I'm sure things will be fine with your pregnancy too. Your Dr. should be testing you soon on a lot of stuff that can tell you how healthy you and baby are so that should bring you relief too. Goodluck on the rest of your pregnancy. Smile
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Folic acid IS very important. It helps cut down on the chance you're baby can develop neural tube birth defects like spina bifida (nerve damage) and anencephaly (partial brain formation).

I didn't find out till i was 9 weeks pregnant and even then I had the same problem and couldn't keep my vitamin down. I went back to my doctor and he switched me to a different multi vitamin that was easier on my stomach.

Now, that I'm 16 weeks along, my vitamin isn't making me nauseous anymore and is giving me lots of benefits.

My advice is to try again with the vitamin! It's better to be safe then sorry when it comes to baby's heath!
|

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
i didnt take folic acid throughout my pregnancy with william and hes perfectly healthy. not taking it will not harm your baby but taking it will benefit
|

User Profile
Supporter
i started taking prenatlas with the folic acid of course before i got preggo again and they said it helps with the neuro tube? or i forget what its called but it helps it to close all the way
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I have had 5 very successful live births and all of my children are happy, healthy and very intelligent. I have never taken a folic acid supplement. Sometimes I don't even take multivitamins and I have never taken prenatal vitamins since my first baby.

If you eat a healthy diet, I don't think there is anything to worry about. Even the cold cereal that you buy at the store is enriched with vitamins and minerals that they add, it's almost impossible to become deficient unless you really try.

The human race prospered very well long before it even knew that there was such a thing as folic acid.

Of course you can talk to your doctor if you are worried, but you shouldn't be worried at all. Don't think that you are stupid of you can't keep down a synthetic pill. It happens to everyone. It's best to get the nutrition you need from food anyway. Anything that the baby needs, he is going to take from you and you can catch up on what you need to when your stomach calms down.

Chances are, you have already been taking it without knowing it!! It's already naturally contained in food: here is a very handy link to all the foods that contain folic acid....and just proves that you're getting it even if you don't think you are Very Happy I'm sure your baby is bouncin' happy, do don't worry Very Happy

http://www.ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/folat e.asp
|

replied September 20th, 2011
Folic acid - Pregnancy
Well I wanted to post this question in the forum and now I already found the answer. Thanks to all the above messages.

I am now in my 13th week and one of my colleague told me that my baby might have neurological defects and was so much worried.

Taking Vitamin tablets were a horror for me upon the already present nausea and vomiting.

I really hope for the best now.
|

replied October 30th, 2013
Folic acid is so important
Taking folic acid is soso important I didn't start taking it untill I found out I was pregnant at 5/6 weeks so I lost out on the 3 months before and the first 6 weeks of my baby growing when I went for my detailed scan at 20 weeks they found that my baby scull hadn't developed properly and his brain was bein pushed out by too much pressure so had to make the awful decision to carry on or not after more test they said it was a form or spinabifida due to lack of folic acid taking at the start of pregnancy unfortunately my baby didn't make it and we buried him at 23weeks even if your thinking of trying for a baby get I the folic acid straight away the and most devastating thing iv ever went through Sad(
|

replied October 30th, 2013
Taking folic acid is soso important I didn't start taking it untill I found out I was pregnant at 5/6 weeks so I lost out on the 3 months before and the first 6 weeks of my baby growing when I went for my detailed scan at 20 weeks they found that my baby scull hadn't developed properly and his brain was bein pushed out by too much pressure so had to make the awful decision to carry on or not after more test they said it was a form or spinabifida due to lack of folic acid taking at the start of pregnancy unfortunately my baby didn't make it and we buried him at 23weeks even if your thinking of trying for a baby get I the folic acid straight away the and most devastating thing iv ever went through Sad(
|