Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

Nuva Ring and weight gain (Page 1)

Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
User Profile
Hi I have been on Nuva Ring for three years now and as of the 31 of DEc I will be going off of it because I don't have any more. But I think that it is for the best because I have gained 25 pounds over that three years my hair is falling out alot now my sex drive is gone and I have been so moody for most of the time I have been on it. and I was just wondering if anyone has had the same problems and if you go off of it will your life go back to normal? I work out every other day eat healthy and I still just keep gain weight and it never happened before I got on the ring! Please Help my husband and I are going crazy! scared
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper arouralee
|
Users who thank breeze7304 for this post: the4dz 

replied December 28th, 2007
I've been on Nuvaring for a year now and the only thing that's happened to me is a little weight gain. If using it is really making you unhappy, then u should definitely take it out! Ask your doctor what your best options are. I think that everyone's body reacts differently to each birth control, so u just need to find one that's better for you.
|

Experienced User
I was on it for a couple years and never had any problems other than a decrease in sex drive but all BC does that to me. I never gained any weight or anything, in fact nuva ring was the only one that worked without making me a moody beast. I am surprised you used the nuva ring for so long if this is what is does to you. I personally think you might have something else going on. Have you had your thyroid checked? Some of what you are saying are symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Good luck
|

User Profile
Yeah I talked to my doctor about everything that has been going on but he said that it is normal and that the other birth control will make me even more moody. My Thyroid is fine I have had is checked every six months or more because I am always geting sick so when I go to the doctor he checks my blood for that. I have a freind that is on it also and she also went from 100 pounds to 120 in four years of beingon it but she is so happy with it she wont go off! The only concern that my doctor has about me being on the nuva ring is that hair loss is a big problem I guess with alot of people who are on it!
|

replied April 9th, 2008
Nuvaring
I am just the opposite in regards to the nuvaring. I have been on the ring for a year and half, I havent gained a pound and i am so trying to gain weight everyday. My sex drive is very high. The only change i have seen when it comes to sex is that nuvaring sometimes dries me out. My hair has grown tremendously since being on the ring as well. I must say this has been the best bc for me thus far.

Good luck with getting off the ring and getting better.
|

replied January 28th, 2009
jazz23
thank God! finally a good report from a nuva ring user! all i read about is bad stuff about it and it's freaking me out! i've been on it for 2 months and so far so good but all these scary stories are giving me second thoughts....
|

replied March 9th, 2009
Night Sweats, Weight Gain, Nuvaring
I was on Nuvaring for about 8 years, and only had issues that last 1 1/2 years. My neurologist started me on a new MS medication and I swear it must have been messing with the Nuvaring because I had the worst night sweats! I am 28, and I would go through at least a t-shirt, and a towel every night, and sometimes 2 towels. It gave me a tumor in my liver, apparently really rare side effect, and man did I get fat! Don't think I can completely blame the Nuvaring since I had another powerful medication in my system. However, the ring has been out for about 2 weeks, and this weekend I had 3 nights in a row of NO night sweats! My husband and I are thrilled, and I do hope this continues. I highly recommend the ring, however be wary if you ever go on Copaxone too.
|

replied April 2nd, 2009
i'm scared
i am supposed to be starting the nuva ring sunday.. after reading all of the stories i don't know if i want to go on it. when i first went on BC i wasnt even 100 pounds i went on that for a year or more and now i'm about 106 pounds, i dont really mind. But i do not want to gain anymore weight.. what should i do?
|

replied April 24th, 2009
weight gain and nuva ring
I am 27 years old, and i have been using the nuvaring for almost 4 months. I haven't had weightgain in pounds, it's just that i feel bloated and all the fat has moved to my stomach. It feels like I have the fat of an old woman, while before i have always had big hips and a flat stomach. Also, i have been dieting and excercising for two months now, and it hasn't worked. My clothes are even tighter!
Someone already said it, everybody responds differently to medication, so don't think you are overreacting! I have been thinking that for a long time, but women know their own body best, and everybody has to decide for themselves if there body is functioning normally or not. I'm quitting!
Does someone know how long it takes before the hormones are completely gone out of my system?
|

replied May 15th, 2009
weight gain and nuva ring
i've been on it for 2 months and i absolutely love it. i've had no moodiness- in fact i've been much more balanced and happy.

the only side effect i have had though is about a 7 pound weight gain. my boobs are a cupsize bigger, and i was already a C. so if you don't want bigger boobs and don't want a little cushion around your lovehandles/stomach DONT DO IT.

but if you want to have great unprotected sex, and not take a pill every day- it's awesome
|

replied July 4th, 2009
OUCH!
ouch! im scared i used pills and im like 25 kgs fatter now so i dont want any surprieses. i was thinking about using nuva ring . but ill forget about it. thnak God i got on this site and saw ur comments.
|

replied April 12th, 2011
i have been on nuva ring for two months now and LOST ALMOST 20 lbs.!!!!! i am sooooo happy this is the ONLY BC i have ever been on an lost weight.... and the fat is coming off by its self. no diet, no working out, no nothing. i recommend talking to your ob Smile good luck
|
Users who thank nickiminaj for this post: dominicanabella 

replied April 21st, 2012
Ive been using NUVARING for also two months, I noticed that,I am eating A LOT LESS! I get full faster. Did you have any side effects?.. I feel nauseous, which makes me not want to eat(and no I am not pregnant, I went to the doctor to take a pregnancy test). Since I had my baby, two years ago, I havent been able to lose the weight. Since NUVARING, Ive lost weight, but the symptoms are as if I was pregnant. :/ HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THESE SIDE EFFECTS??
|

replied August 30th, 2012
Nuva ring side effects
I was on nuva ring for 3 months and towards the end I was definitely having symptoms of pregnancy. I had gone up two cup sizes. TWO CUPS SIZES AND COUNTING. (From a small A to a very full C) I was craving food all the time, and weird food at that. I gained ten pounds even though I had cleaned up my diet and was super active! Like walking 7-14 miles a day kind of active.
I would get bloated and uncomfortably full after three bites but would get ravenously hungry 30 minutes later no matter how much I ate/drank!
I also was getting sooooo moody. It got to the point where I was crying all the time, but because of what was goin on in my life I thought I was just stressed out. I was snapping at everyone and became the biggest b*tch ever.
Once I realized it was doing all this stuff, I took it out immediately. I'm a week and a half off the nuva ring, but I'm already feeling less moody. I'm hoping the weight falls off and I stop being hungry all the time.
|

replied April 21st, 2012
Ive been using NUVARING for also two months, I noticed that,I am eating A LOT LESS! I get full faster. Did you have any side effects?.. I feel nauseous, which makes me not want to eat(and no I am not pregnant, I went to the doctor to take a pregnancy test). Since I had my baby, two years ago, I havent been able to lose the weight. Since NUVARING, Ive lost weight, but the symptoms are as if I was pregnant. :/ HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THESE SIDE EFFECTS??
|

replied July 30th, 2009
LIFE WITH NUVARING
for those on nuvaring and have only been on it for a couple of years keep going because all of the bad things will start happening to u. ive been on it for 5 years and year 4 everything went way down hill. gained 20lbs im a track runner and it will NOT come off, sex drive is 0% and driving me and my hubby crazy, im mad, angry, emotional for no reason. im switching to mirena in 2 weeks when my cycle starts so it will be a smooth ride and i hope it gets better. For those on it now get off b4 it happens to u. 4th year hit me like a bag of bricks and reading all the blogs I found out its not just me.
|

replied December 12th, 2011
Nuva Ring vs Mirena
By now I suppose you are already on Mirena, However I wouldn't be so quick to switch to Mirena either....from the post i have read on here, nuvaring is mild in comparison. everyone i know has not only gained weight on Nuva ring, as well as have the worst mood swings, complain about looking at least 6 mo pregnant, acne, low to no sex drive, and hair loss. Me personally, i gained about 40lbs over the past 4 yrs, and had mood swings that made me feel like i needed to be institutionalized and always got asked when i was due to have my baby,,,(wasn't pregnant) In my opinion everyone's body reacts diff to birthcontrol
|

replied March 12th, 2012
I have also been one the ring for five years and never had a problem until about 3 1/2 years in. I have gained 45 pounds (I blamed my hypothyroidism for the last 29th years), am bloated all of the time and have zero sex drive. Also last year I stared having periods that would last just shy of a month (this happened to me on 4 different types of pills after 6 months), the difference with the ring is with month long periods, I had the most painful cramps I thought my appendix was bursting every month.
But my husband and I just put this all together. While he wa deployed I went off the ring for a few months and I lost over 20 pounds and had normal periods. But when my hubby came home I went back on the ring 30 days before. It only took 3 months to gain all the weight back. I'm so pissed. We are now looking into him getting a vasectomy (they are reversible), we are 26 and 25 years old. Women are not ment to be on birth control forever is what I'm learning, because I just have the worst luck on the types I've tried (I've tried quite a few). I'm not qualified for the IUD since I've not been pregnant according to my Dr. The implant is what was offered besides condom and a vasectomy. Not too thrilled with my options...
|

replied March 12th, 2012
That was supposed to say "I blamed hypothyroidism for the last few years" not 29th years. Dang phone. Lol
|

replied March 12th, 2012
I have also been one the ring for five years and never had a problem until about 3 1/2 years in. I have gained 45 pounds (I blamed my hypothyroidism for the last 29th years), am bloated all of the time and have zero sex drive. Also last year I stared having periods that would last just shy of a month (this happened to me on 4 different types of pills after 6 months), the difference with the ring is with month long periods, I had the most painful cramps I thought my appendix was bursting every month.
But my husband and I just put this all together. While he wa deployed I went off the ring for a few months and I lost over 20 pounds and had normal periods. But when my hubby came home I went back on the ring 30 days before. It only took 3 months to gain all the weight back. I'm so pissed. We are now looking into him getting a vasectomy (they are reversible), we are 26 and 25 years old. Women are not ment to be on birth control forever is what I'm learning, because I just have the worst luck on the types I've tried (I've tried quite a few). I'm not qualified for the IUD since I've not been pregnant according to my Dr. The implant is what was offered besides condom and a vasectomy. Not too thrilled with my options...
|

replied May 26th, 2012
Vasectomy reversals are expensive and there is no guarantee that they can reverse it. Also your husband can have decreased sperm production and various other complications after. Make sure to do your research about this, it is difficult to reverse.

My SO had a vasectomy prior to our relationship and luckily his reversal worked.
|

replied October 29th, 2009
I haven't had any problems at all with the nuva ring - except that all of a sudden now after 5 YEARS of taking it - it is making me really dry down there and causing lots of tearing inside & out - making sex extremely painful !!!!!

I don't know what to do ! I've tried tons of different lubes - nothing works

ANYONE else experiencing this ???????????? (it used to make me more lubricated)
|

replied November 9th, 2009
I have just started nuvaring today and now i have anxiety about even starting with this method of birthcontrol after reading all of these post. I have a really high sex drive and am never dry down there durring sex and i dont want that to decrease, also i am already about 30 pounds over weight and dont want to gain even more weight. I guess all i can do is try the ring for a couple of months and see how everything goes. I'll come back and update my status in a couple of months.
|

replied November 11th, 2009
I've been on Nuvaring for 6 months now and love it. I used to forget taking my pill and would get my period too early as a result. this makes my life so much easier. my periods are also now literally painless and before they were super heavy and so painful i couldn't function. i have also LOST 8 lbs since going on the ring. And the weight seems to keep coming off. the only downside is that i do think i have reduced sex drive. but frankly, i am fine with that if i keep shedding lbs and i am not dying everytime i have my period. and i don't even have moody PMS anymore.
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2009
eleigh wrote:
I haven't had any problems at all with the nuva ring - except that all of a sudden now after 5 YEARS of taking it - it is making me really dry down there and causing lots of tearing inside & out - making sex extremely painful !!!!!

I don't know what to do ! I've tried tons of different lubes - nothing works

ANYONE else experiencing this ???????????? (it used to make me more lubricated)

I had the same problem, it dried me out like crazy. I've never been one to use lube because i didnt need it i produced enough on my own. I actually found a lube by a brand called PINK. The lube has vitamin e and aloe vera which prevents tears and its silicone based which really helps. after 3 months of being on nuva ring i finally got back on the pill. I love being intimate with my husband and actually enjoying it Wink
|

replied November 25th, 2009
Im getting ready to start the nuvaring. all the negeative feed back is very discouraging but im going try it. I cant remember to take the pill everyday so im going do this because me nor my husband want any more children. So i will get back to let you know. But a great solution to those who believe in prayer,and are married pray and ask the lord to touch your body to go good while you are on the nuvaring. And believe you me he will do it.
|

replied December 18th, 2009
Scared
Im getting ready to start the nuvaring, all the negative feedback is really scaring me, but i had iud in and ended getting pregnant so I need another option. I have heard good and bad stuff about the nuvaring and i know that every women is not made the same. Im scared to gain weight...hopefully i'll be ok. I will get back on and let u know how its working out.
|

replied December 19th, 2009
nausea and headaches
I started the ring 1 month ago and just inserted my second. I feel really nautious and have been getting headaches. I don't know if it is too early to blame the nuva ring or not. Anyone experiencing this?
|

replied March 29th, 2011
I do too. I started it 2 weeks ago and I have been nausea everyday and I have thrown up a couple times. And I already have prescriptions for my headaches but it has made it worse
|

replied March 29th, 2011
I do too. I started it 2 weeks ago and I have been nausea everyday and I have thrown up a couple times. And I already have prescriptions for my headaches but it has made it worse
|

replied December 19th, 2009
nausea and headaches
I started the ring 1 month ago and just inserted my second. I feel really nautious and have been getting headaches. I don't know if it is too early to blame the nuva ring or not. Anyone experiencing this?
|
Quick Reply