Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Community Chat Forum

Normal to Be Up And Down So Much...

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
Is it normal for me to be up and down so much emotionally now that its the end of my pregnancy (almost 40 weeks)? I can't ease my mind, I'm nervous, scared and I'm getting hurt so easily, becomming paranoid about things, finding myself upset over little things and it just seems like I'm going crazy. Is this normal or a sign of depression? Will it fade away or is this a cause for concern and I should dicuss it with my Dr. I'm a first time mom to so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it? Thanks girls.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 27th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Normal, do bring it up to your Dr. though just in case it gets worse ^^
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Definitely normal... and I am definitely not a new mom and I have it pretty bad. I've had 5 other deliveries, so I know...the 6th one now is killing me just as badly. I feel trapped, feel like running away, can't breathe, can't sleep, every little thing bothers me.....sometimes I wish I really was dead. I can't run away from myself because the baby is there and will be everywhere I go until delivery.

You could go on anti-depressants, but these take the average of a month to start working and you only have less than a week until your due date. Once you deliver, these hormones and the discomforts of pregnancy will be gone.

If you feel like you need to hurt yourself or others, or become suicidal, and just can't seem to cope with everything and it is driving you to do desperate things, talk to your doctor, but chances are you are pretty near the end and the hormones that are causing these panicking and depressive feelings are a sign that you are really close to the end of your pregnancy Smile
|

User Profile
Supporter
So normal!

I was like that all through my last pregnancy. I was so worried that i'd end up with PPD..... but i didn't.
|

Extremely eHealthy
It's normal. I was an emotional wreck in the end. Anything would upset me. I broke down into a sobbing mess in the Kohls parking lot because I though Mike had a tone with me.
Your getting ready to bring a new life into this world. That is scary stuff!
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Just take a breath and relax too. Take up a good book or watch movies. Do what you love most. All your chores and regular schedule can wait. Don't be afraid to pamper yourself!

You won't have as much time to yourself after the baby is born to do what you like, and it will get your mind off that one dusty bunny that you can't bend over to pick up. Very Happy
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
It's normal. I was a hormonal wreck near the end of my pregnancy. Just a few deep breaths and remember that you can handle everything that is coming.
|

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
omg, I've been like that since I got pregnant...

Laughing one minute, crying my brains out the next, I hate it so much because I have to reason to be crying which makes me more upset. Then he yells at me because I'm crying for no reason, so I feel bad for him having to listen to me then I start crying about that.

Breathing helps. Counting to 10 is actually nice.
|

Especially eHealthy
being an emotional wreck is normal, this does not sound normal to me-

mominashoe wrote:
sometimes I wish I really was dead.

everyone always talks about ppd but depression during pregnancy is a common problem and is rarely mentioned. have you talked to your doctor about this?
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Oh yes, I have quite a history of depression and I've been to therapists, taken tons of different meds and such. None of the regular methods for depression and anxiety have worked for me. What it comes down to is mind over matter every time for me.

I've had a pretty traumatic life and every once in a while things seem to pile on top of each other no end. Don't know why it's like that, but there it is. Just when you think you can handle everything, your health gets worse, you stop sleeping, you mom does this to you, your sister does that to you, something happens with hubby's job...... that's pretty tough for one person to handle.

Don't worry about me, lol. I know what's happening and what it's about, and thanks for the concern.
|