Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

bruising on bottom of foot

Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....
this happens to me maybe 2-3 times a month and it hurts so bad and i would like to no why this is happening.

i notice when i wake up sometimes the bottom of my foot is bruised really bad, and in different spots every time, in the morning and at night it hurts the most so i have to limp around my house and during the day it doesnt even get that much better,i thought i was just kicking the wall in my sleep but yesterday i started feeling the pain mid day and by the night i couldnt walk, in that day i noticed i did not take my shoes off all day, could not taking your shoes off do some thing like that?

why do i keep getting this
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jnkmon
|

replied March 27th, 2009
Bruising on the foot
Did you ever get a reply from anyone on this? I am getting this type of thing often also and cannot find any help for it.

Thanks!
|

replied May 27th, 2010
Bruises on Bottom of Feet
I get this too... I believe it is due to footwear. Wearing it too long, pressure on the bottom of the feet, especially when you walk a lot. New comfortable shoes should help. Thicker socks too.
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
My pain (appears as a bruise) is on the bottom of my feet below the toes. It has been going on for over a week. I do suffer from mortons nuroma (sp) but this is different. As most of America, I have a high insurance deductible and my foot doctor must like a new BMW every year! Has anyone experienced this???
|

replied October 13th, 2011
My 13 year old son has been suffering from this for a week. It started as big swollen bumps below his toes, which then turned to small bruises (about 3-4 each foot). One foot is now starting to blister. He is in a lot of pain and unable to walk. Blood tests have shown there is some sort of infection, and his glands are also swollen (maybe unrelated). He has had more blood tests today, which I am awaiting results.
Does anyone else have any answers as to what this might be?
|

replied November 17th, 2011
painful bruised knot on ball of foot
This is weird. Last night I suddenly had a large knot and bruise form on the bottom of my foot. It was painful even to bear weight on that foot, especially on hard surfaces (like my kitchen floor). This morning after I woke up I noticed some of the pain had left. However, the bruises was darker and seemed a little bigger...but the swelling and pain had improved. I could walk and bear weight on it without difficulty. I decided to make an appointment with my podiatrist and took an x-ray of the foot - nothing. Also had a low grade fever...not sure if the two are related??? Anyway, she wants to see me again in 2weeks whether or not it improves. If it worsens she asked for me to come in and not wait. She said it could be some soft tissue injury that an X-ray would miss...would have to get an MRI. But since the pain is improved and I am able to walk on it she wants to wait for now. I'll just keep watching and will post if there are any updates. Otherwise, it's just the weirdest thing. I had no trauma, that I am aware of. Where did the bruise come from? Also, why the painful knot? We shall see.
|

replied February 19th, 2013
Was it right at the joint of the toe? If so, then I think it is Achenbach Syndrome. I get it sometimes on a finger joint, sometimes on a toe joint, and even once on my wrist joint. It is a suddent stabbing pain (like a spider bite would feel), followed by bruising that looks pretty black and blue the next day. The pain lasts only about 15 minutes, then just the standard bruising for a few days. Look it up on google. It is harmless, thankfully.

Some of you are describing totally different symtoms like blistering, etc., so my theory will not work for all of you. Mind only applies when it happens at a joint.

Good luck to all!
|

replied March 27th, 2012
I have the exact same thing. I have been to a podatrist and had a vascular work up - both showed nothing notable. It happens 4-6 times a year. The pain and swelling last for a few hours, then the bottom of my foot bruises, migrating to the top of my foot by day three. Always the same foot, always the same place.
|

replied March 27th, 2012
I have the exact same thing. I have been to a podatrist and had a vascular work up - both showed nothing notable. It happens 4-6 times a year. The pain and swelling last for a few hours, then the bottom of my foot bruises, migrating to the top of my foot by day three. Always the same foot, always the same place.
|

replied June 11th, 2012
foot condition
i have a similar condition that neither my teenage podiatrist or us navy doctors could diagnose IMO, they thought it was bacterial, but biopsies show nothing and it is a chronic issue they never even considered antibiotics for ( for over 15 years now ). It started when I was a teen, red blotches, something like a hive but more like a bruise shows up somewher on my foot or on the side of my foot. it is painful but I have gotten used to it when it happens. When it is very bad I have had it up to my ankle or sometimes they even show up on my wrists and knees., the worst times it seems like my whole foot is swollen, and I limp throught it. My best treatment is to change socks frequently and to walk on them thru the pain, also when they occur I focus on relieving stress better. Perhaps it is an orphan disease or some weird gout type condition, i really dont think it is bacterial. When it is very painful soft touching or very lite scratches make it feel very good, but pain immediately comes back. the redness is also accompanied with notable swelling.
|

replied January 4th, 2013
Bruising on bottom of feet for no reason...need answers!!!
I am glad to find other people have the same thing going on, but I noticed nobody said anything about what it was or could be other than the pressure from shoes. My 3 year old son woke up with the bruises under his toes and a big bruise and a knot underneath his big toe, today he woke up with them on both feet and the one that was bruises yesterday is worse. He can walk and cries when he tries to...His Dr's dont think it is anything but a bruise and he is just going to have to deal with it. I'm not ok with that bc how did the bruises appear during the middle of the night...Just want some answers if anyone ever got any in their same experience.
|

replied April 5th, 2013
foot bruising
I too have the same thing. It's been happening to me for the past 4 years and happens every 2-3 months and is so painful I can barely walk. I will wake up in the morning or, in the more severe circumstances, in the middle of the night in terrible pain. It appears red and swollen turning into a regular bruise later on. It has never happened because of kicking or falling, it just randomly appears. I thought I might have been kicking in the night, but have been told by my partner thats not the case. The doctors I've been to can't think of any reason, even the foot doctor I went to. Does no one know what this is? It is affecting my life and I feel it shouldn't be happening. For reference I am 23, male, have no illness or past illness, am physically active, and average weight.
|

replied December 22nd, 2013
Throbbing red spot on bottom of foot
About 8 years ago I noticed a red spot on the bottom of my left foot. It was very painful, never blistered, and after about 48 hours, disappeared. Over the last 8 years it has returned and disappeared at least a two dozen times. I've gone to three doctors (an MD, a podiatrist, and a dermatologist) and none of them had any idea what it is, or what causes it. It is very painful to walk when it's there. Also, it keeps me up at night because of the throbbing. It's always on my left foot. It is warm to the touch, and super tender. The spot sometimes shows up on the left side of the bottom of my left foot. It wraps up around the side of my foot about a half inch towards my outside ankle bone. Sometimes it shows up on the bottom of my left foot in the center of my arch. It's also shown up on the inside of my left foot near my heel. I've gotten it so many times that I can actually feel it coming on, almost like a fever blister.
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.