Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Gingivitis and periodontitis

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Every time I go to the dentist, they tell me I have gingivitis. This has been for several years. I have never taken it too seriously, figuring I have plenty of time before anything serious comes out of it. Recently I decided it was time to get rid of it...
so now I have been using a natural antibacterial toothpaste, "natural dentist" healthy gums mouthwash, biotene toothpaste, biotene mouthwash in that order, usually twice a day. I have been meaning to pick up some floss.

The other day I decided to read up on it online, and I discovered that I actually have periodontitis... the last time I went to the dentist he mentioned pockets and that he had cleaned them and told my mother I have "the mouth of an old lady". This was over the summer. I really do not want to lose my teeth or have further gum recession...

Are the products I am using at all effective? Is there any way to get rid of it at home? I've been going to the dentist once a year and my mom will get mad if I tell her I want to go again/more often because of this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank postfetalphase for this post: carronarthur 

User Profile
replied December 26th, 2007
Supporter
Gingivitis And Periodontitis
if gingivitis (that is gums inflamationa) is not treated it converts to periodontitis ( that is loss of attachment (periodontal ligament and bone) ) both are produce because plaque (bacteria + foods) has not been removed in those areas daily . if plaque was not revomed it calcify and form calculus ,it goes deeper into your pockets between the gum and the teeth and it cause inflamation only your dentist can remove this calculus . those prducts you are using does not work if your dentist do not remove this calculus if your pockets are more than 3 mm deep probably you need periodontal surgery .I recomend to you a periodoncist and practice good oral hygiene (flossing and brushing at least 2 times daily) to keep plaque in a very low percent. good luck and remember that treatment depends in how well you follow thw instructions
|

replied January 12th, 2008
Postfetalphase,

I have periodontitis and through treatment from periodontist AND my own treatment I've cobbled together from various sources, my pockets have gone from 4-5, and 6-7 mm, to under 3.

I've read there's no cure for periodontitis, but it can be improved and controlled. I will probably have gum graft surgery, but it's not urgent.

Go to www.albrite.com. It's the website of Vas Gardiakos who sells the periodontitis self-help book The Smile Method. I've read it and though I haven't followed it to the letter, I've learned and applied much from it and my condition has radically improved. Mr. Gardiakos has never had the surgery in the 25+ since his diagnosis of perio. He sells a very good tool called the vitapik that disinfects periodontal pockets.

Descriptions of periodontitis from dentists and others in my opinion is unnecessarily pessimistic and alarming.

There are many ways to start improving your situation. The first step is learning. I'd recommend to you take a look at the above website. But it's important to get your teeth cleaned at the dentist 3 - 4 times a year too.

idiopathic12/James
|

replied May 5th, 2011
I myself suffered from gingivitis and was told repeatedly by the dentist to brush more frequently and floss, little did I know that this was worsening my condition. A combination of the toothpaste I was using, dry mouth and stress were causing it! I was able to fix myself by making a few small lifestyle changes. I am really enthusiastic about sharing this information with other people who need it.
I am a medical researcher writing a book on the holistic treatment of gum disease. I think it would be really valuable to have stories from other people who have actually been through it and fixed their problem! I would love to hear from you and your contribution could either be acknowledged or completely anonymous!
Kind regards, Ashley
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied January 12th, 2008
Instead of using so many products the safety of which may not be confirmed since you categorize them under the heading of "natural" just follow this simple steps.

1. Brush your teeth 2 times a day
2. Floss every day or at a maximum after 48 hours
3. Do not brush to hard as this causes gum recession.
4. Use a mouth wash for 2 weeks twice daily and then leave it after 2 weeks otherwise you will decolorize your teeth.
5. Make user you are getting enough calcium and more importantly Vitamin D because most people do not get enough Vitamin D. The preferable way of getting the Vitamin is to expose yourself to the sun for 1 to 2 hours a day. If that is not possible then you should take vitamin D supplements.
6. And always rinse your mouth after every meal.

That was what I was told to do.
|

replied January 22nd, 2008
All you have to do is just get yourself an irrigator (I use Waterpik) and fill it with a solution of peroxide and baking soda and use it daily and your gum problems and bleeding will be GONE in about a week.....GUARANTEED. Very Happy

ps. just make sure you FLUSH the irrigator with clear water each time afterwards so you don't ruin it. Wink
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2008
Supporter
If you are of school age then your mother can go as mad as she wants but she must accept responsibility for your dental care and in any case, is it not free if you are still a minor? You should be having check ups every six months, not yearly, and more if you need to see a hygienist, which you do if you have gingivitis.

Good luck.
|

replied April 14th, 2010
Nutritional Support for Gingivitis
Hello,
I am a health and nutrition counselor, and am developing a nutritional support system for people who want to learn about foods that will help to strengthen their gums. This would be especially useful for people who have gingivitis and are being treated for gum disease by their dentist. I plan to go beyond Vitamin C supplements, and talk about foods to reduce inflammation, foods that support bone regeneration, and how to incorporate highly nutritious foods into your diet to repair lost tissue.
I would love to get your feedback to see if this would be helpful for people with fragile, receding gums.
Thank you!
|

replied June 16th, 2011
It is a shame your dentist wasn't more direct with you about the consequences of chronic gingivitis. I have periodontitis and I tried the OraMD remedy and it has worked very well for me. No more infections. That site also mentions other remedies (salt and baking soda, honey etc).
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2011
I am 29 was diagnosed yesterday with chronic periodontitis with up to 7mm pockets in one or two areas.

I am scheduled in for scaling and possibly root planing next week.

I am willing to do whatever I can to get my gums back to health and hope I can somehow get them back to normal. the thing is my teeth are in GREAT condition. no fillings or anything. does this still mean i am possibly at risk of tooth loss if my gums don't get better?

the symptoms i have besides the deep pockets are bleeding when i brush. the dentist says my gums are inflamed but they're not sore at all?

i've been reading up on the disease and so worried about all this stuff i am reading - pregnancy problems, connections with heart disease, tooth loss. if i stick to the treatments my dentist gives me, can i really control the disease and avoid all this doom and gloom?
|

replied June 27th, 2011
natural treatments for gum disease
Hi mubmub,

I have been researching natural treatments for gum disease for a long time now and have finally put my efforts in to an ebook. I am launching the site on the weekend so you may be interested to have a look! Good luck with everything!

Kind regards, Ashley
|

replied October 18th, 2011
Whip Periodontal Disease
There is only one doctor I know who can truly whip periodontal disease painlessly for you:

This guy has a laser surgery that is MUCH less painful and easier than the traditional procedure!

PLUS: He he has you use the Periodontal trays on your teeth. If you use them everyday, it puts the Hydrogen Peroxide solution against the gums and kills the bacteria, so that the Periodontal disease cannot get worse.

If you are young and do not have much of a problem, you may not need surgery, and can just use the trays! You will never need surgery or get serious periodontal disease!

Most Periodontists do not know jack about this procedure. I had one and he was a flop. Keeps doing the same old lame and PAINFUL procedure, where you cannot eat well and suffer for a week.
|

replied April 11th, 2015
Didn't Have the Chance of the Root Cleaning
I had periodontal disease and did followed all the instructions on cleaning them. The dentists I seen became frustrated because I had cavities that started
appearing when I visited the dentist. They started filling the cavities but never had performed the standard root cleaning although they talked about it but
never performed it. I then lost all my teeth and major bone loss that is preventing me now from implant Dentures that was the plan after I had all my teeth pulled. I feel really cheated from not having the root cleaning because I wonder if my end result would of been the same?
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2015
Non surgical treatments of periodontitis includes three steps, scaling, root planing and antibiotics. I had done the same to get relieved from periodontitis.
|