Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Lump Inmy Cheek After Oral Surgery (wisdom Teeth Extraction) (Page 1)

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I'm a 24 year old female and had my 4 wisdom teeth removed about 3 weeks ago. I had some real bad swelling, pain and bruising on the left side of my face for about a week. After a week, the bruising was gone and most of the pain was gone as well. I was a bit swollen but it went down significantly during the second week. However about 6 days ago the left side of my face began to swell again and now I have a decent sized lump on my cheek and around the area where my left wisdom teeth were removed...

I followed up with my dentist and he prescribed stronger antibiotics (I was on penicillin) and have been taking them for about 4 days...but the swelling is still there and the lump doesn't seem to be getting any smaller... and now it's starting to hurt...

I don't know what to do... Should I wait a few more days before I call him back? Or should I go straight to the ER? I mean, I haven't been able to open my mouth completely since I got my wisdom teeth removed and it's fustrating because I can't eat well and have lost about 12 pounds in 3 weeks... What should I do?

Thanks for all your help...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper grantsink72
|

replied December 23rd, 2008
Jesus! I'm having the same, EXACT, thing...except I haven't gotten to the "3 weeks later" phase. I just had the operation two days ago, also all four teeth (with general anesthetic) and am also swelling on the left side. It so far doesn't hurt too much but it's really uncomfortable and I haven't been able to open my mouth properly. I wouldn't worry except that the right side has been fine almost since the surgery ended and I can even manage a little chewing on it; not so with my left. I've been freaking out all day, I just don't know what to do. I'm afraid if I call the doctor they'll think I'm just overreacting and tell me to rinse (which I've been doing profusely/religiously) but I'm afraid if I show up without an appointment they may not see me or some bullocks. I'd appreciate if you could tell me whatever happened to you and your cheek. I've been frantic all day and I haven't been able to sleep at all, not even with the Vicodin.
|

replied March 10th, 2009
ouch..
I had 7 wisdom teeth pulled out on friday 3/6/09... My right side is feeling fine, but my left bottom side is hurting pretty bad Sad. I had a little bone surgery and the teeth were impacted, I had 3 wisdom teeth on my bottom left side extracted. I have been rinsing with the salt water and only eating soft foods and applying heat. I have not been able to sleep well, and I have been taking alot of perks and advil and antibiotic 4 times a day. I am worried about a dry socket but im not sure, the inside of my left side is bruised inside and the stitches look like they are almost dissolved, but again im no Dr. Im not sure if its just the bruising that is really painful or if it's somthing else. I have to go to work today at 10am and I'm worried because it is pretty painful now, hopefully they will send me home early. I don't know, I feel very bad. I dont know if I should call my Orthodontist or if it's too early to.
|

replied September 9th, 2009
What is this?
I just got mine out six days ago and I have two large bumps on the inside of my cheeks and I do not know what to do!!
|

replied November 15th, 2012
I called my dentist ASAP convinced that he had splintered my jawbone or something. He assured me that it was a very large blood clot between my jawbone and gums and that it would go away over the next few weeks. Fortunately, he was right. It is sore primarily because the jaw muscles are sore.
|

replied November 15th, 2009
Wisdom teeth experinces
I just got mine out on 11-11-09 and it was kind of crappy, they were in there "real good", just the last bottom 2 for me. I look like what I expected to look like and well, today is day 4 since it was done and well at first the cut on the left side didnt seal and that was gross, so gross that when i saw it I barely made it to my chair, I felt the "fainting" feeling coming on. WHOA!!! the small gash was open and if i pushed on my cheek ever so slightly i could watched the blood drain into my mouth. Man... But the cut was there for a reason and now it's tryin to fully close, it has sealed but if i open up wider than i should or attempt to, I think i tear it a bit. So its extra careful time for me when eating or attempting to eat..
The really cheeky cheeks is expected, and sore mouth, and not being able to fully open is normal but for how long can i NOT open normal is a question of mine. Also, i was on amoxicillan, and since i was prescribed pennicillan, i finished up my Amox, and now took my first Pennicillan this morning. I will be calling tomorrow. ( monday Morning)to double check if its fine. Umm, what else.. Eating...Its dissapointing with wisdom teeth extraction, and when you get brave to eat something better than mush or get desperate, and you dont chew it all the way, it kind of hurts your stomach I think, just alittle, its not a fully chewed bit of food, and you dont really enjoy. And i sooo wanted the lasagne i made and that piece of pizza! It was dissapointing, it tasted good, but I couldnt enjoy it.
Yes, I also lost 3 pounds right away. I had plenty to lose but always just having something to drink just doesnt cut it, so it kind of made me sick to my stomach, carnation instant breakfast, i even drank some pediasure. a pop or 2, of course water to drink and rinse alot, applesauce went well,pudding, jello, see its all mush, and you want so much more.. But i know i have to be patient. I did get a low grade fever for 2 days. I knew it was coming cause i was just sittin here and all the sudden this wave of warm hit me, not terrible but I thaught whoa... so i checked and it was 101 tops for the duration. Not bad but just something else to make it uncomfortable.
I also got Vicodin and Ibuprofin 800mg. I do not take them at same time, i was doing just one Vicodin at night, and 1 to 2 ibuprofin's thruout whole day. Today i am goin with just one, tryin to get thru pain without being so medicated, give my body a break. Liver or kidney, not sure what it works thru. Tyelenol works on liver i think and ibu works on kidney. Do not quote me. I could be corrected, i'd appreciate it actually so i could keep the knowledge Smile
Pain medication can BIND you up by the way. I did not "go" for 2.5 days after wisdom teeth were out, but see, it was all liquid and mush foods. I know its a bit funny to talk about but i took stool softeners. I got a bit worried. Smile
I'd basically like to be done with all this medicine and wouldnt mind goin to see friends soon. But i dont want to look like such a fat face and i need to be able to open my mouth more:)Yelling... it hurts your jaw, so i know better then to yell cause the kids are being nuts.. and do not attempt to blow things out. OUCH! It like pushes your cheeks out... I learned from it :)making silly raspberry noises like on a kids belly to make em laugh.. NO! that hurts! No funny "farty noises" with your mouth. I am learning Smile Tried to be a funny mom and: ouch. Smile
Hmm, I just noticed my neck feels a bit softer. maybe its me, maybe i am goin into a panic. maybe i didnt notice till just today, but where they put a tracheotomy thing? Right there in that mid spot in your neck? It feels a bit softer. doesnt really look different but i dont remember it feelin softer like this.Anyone have a slightly softer or slightly swelled neck?? AM I crazy? Or is it just time to have that at 32? I dont know, i dont need to worry about anything else right now, i have enuf SmileI wouldnt expect swelling that far down really.
Before the teeth were out they ached deep into my jawbone and it bothered my ears. I am happy they are gone but i sure hope i dont have any lasting problems after all is well. I got rid of mine problems. ( the teeth)Well thanks for reading. Anything else anyone could add? I dont mind reading experiences. |
NIkki
|

replied January 17th, 2010
I had my bottom right wisdom tooth surgically removed in May09, i had very bad swelling and even brusing around my jaw.
Since the swelling went down i noticed a small lump, i went back to the dentist about 2 weeks after and he didnt think much of it.
Anyway in November i noticed the lump was starting to get bigger and painful when eating (like having a giant jaffa in my face), so i went to the doctors and got put on Antibiotics for 2 weeks which didnt work.
I'm now having to make another appointment to go back to the doctors - they have no idea what it is and i'm not sure weither to be worried or not...
|

replied June 8th, 2010
lump in jaw after wisdom tooth extraction 6/7/2010
i had my top wisdom tooth removed 3 days ago, I too had noticed a large hard lump developing in my chin. I went back to my dentist today and he prescribed me a medicine to take away the swelling which seems to be working every where but on the lump, I am freaking out also because I can barely open my outh on the right side to chew ( and eating is one of my fav. things to do, I can not stand to loose any pounds) its really annoying I go back to the dentist on friday if he doesnt have a rather quick remedy to decrease the size of it or make it disappear im getting a second opinion this cant be normal and I can not wait months to have this taken care of. If there is a dentist or oral surgeon who can give use any insight into why this is happening or what we can do to resolve this please help.
|

replied July 19th, 2010
i just got one of my molars removed because i had a really bad cavity and it was decaying. I went to my dentist and he gave me soo much novacaine! its been three days now and i cant seem to get this lump gone. Itws really making me nervous and i dont know what to do. Im scared that something is wrong. i dont know wether i should call my dentist or not. Its getting so annoying and irritating..if someone could help me i would greatly appreciate it!!!!!
|

replied August 7th, 2010
Research Your Oral Surgeons
I ended up in the hospital for 5days the day after I had my wisdom teeth taking out. the oral surgeon was horrible. I developed facial cellulities. the knot your all refering to I still have to this day. surgury was on july 10,2010 and today is august 7,2010
|

replied September 23rd, 2010
Knot in cheek after wisdom teeth extraction
I seem to be experiencing the same symptoms as everyone else and i too have become a lil worried. Had wisdom teeth plus one before it on bottom right side extracted 3 wks ago. Surgery went well had swelling and bruising the first couple days and thought everything was ok. Top was healing fine but bottom began to swell again and was very painful. thought it was dry socket so dr gave me pacts to put into the incision and it helped tremendously! Bottom left side was fine now but bottom right started developing this knot on the inside of my cheek. Very painful and made it difficult to open my mouth so i began to panic. Went back to dr had the incision reopened to check for infection but there was nothing there. Put me on penicillin and have only taken 2 doses so far and told me to apply heat and massage the knot as much as possible. Knot is about the size of a gumball at this pt and can barely open my mouth on the right side...hopin the antibiotics work but would def like to know what this could be if its not an infection..because im very uncomfortable and it quite a bit of pain!!! Aaaahhhh
|

replied March 2nd, 2012
I know it has been a while since your post but did you ever find out what the cause of it was. I am experiencing some of the same things.
|

replied March 2nd, 2012
Late Reply-Same Issue
I know it has been a while since your post but did you ever find out what the cause of it was. I am experiencing some of the same things.
|

replied March 2nd, 2012
tooth extraction
I just had a molar removed yesterday morning and Im in terrible pain. I cannot believe I had my 4 wisdom teeth taken out at the same time in college - which was one of the most horrible experiences in my life. And they were not even bothering me. I wouldnt have my wisdom teeth taken out again unless it was an emergency - i lost the feeling in the entire front half of my tounge. I didnt expect this one molar extraction to be causing me so much pain - Ive been crushing the pain killers and its not helping - face is swollen.
|

replied January 8th, 2011
Lump in cheek after oral surgery
I have a lump in my cheek after I had my wisdom teeth removed. The doctor said the it happens to about 30% to 40% of people and it is just a bruise from tissue bleeding. He also said it could take 1 to 2 months for it to go away.
|

replied October 17th, 2011
Lump in Cheek after oral surgery
May I ask how long it actually took for the lump (or knot) in your cheek to go away? I have one after last week's dental work; cleaning of a molar tooth. Thanks
|

replied February 13th, 2011
Wisdom teeth
I had #17 removed on Thursday 2/10/11 I work for a dental office and had my left #32 wisdom extracted last year in July the procedure went well except I developed a dry socket not sure why since I did everything right but then it went away and everything was fine well Like I had mentioned I had the left one taken out on Thursday because it was causing me so much pain..... When the numbing wore off I went to sleep when I woke up Friday I was very swollen and putting ice on the area but nothing was helping not even vicodin so I called the dentist and he called me in 2 prescriptions keflex and flaygl I started taking them with food and instantly started throwing up constantly for the next 8 hours absolute horrible experience then I started taking tums I started feeling better but I have noticed this almond sized lump on the inside of my cheek in the area my tooth was extracted not sure what to do it's 2:09 am and I'm sure the dentist is asleep please help me
|

replied October 8th, 2011
bump and hard area after wisdom tooth removal
I had both bottom wisdom teeth removed on sep-1-11 today is oct-8-11. on the left side the area around the removal site is rock hard and i have that same bump under the skin. i was looking at it in the mirror today and green pus came out from under the area where the tooth was removed. im not sure if i should go to the ER or wait it out.
|

replied October 28th, 2011
why is mt jaw swollen?
i had a the last tooth reomoved almost a year ago and the dentis left a piece in the gum.When i went for surgrey on wensday to get all my top teeth removed he must have took the other piece out too and now my left jaw feels like i been hit with a hammer a few times, my whole side of my left face looks like a balloon.I can opened my mouth completley and finds it hard to swallow liquids and eat.Also has a awfull bad taste in my mouth .How long should this last for so i can get some commfort.
|

replied November 5th, 2011
number 32 tooth pulled now have a bump on cheek
i just had number 32 taken out on 11-3-11 and today 11-5-11 i woke up at 7 am and noticed a large bump like a marble or something right over the area and it did hurt toopen my mouth but thank the doc i have pain killers and already have penicillin from the er its not really hurting me just making me mad that its there what sucks is there closed till monday so i hope they get my mesg soon and call me back and let me know something till then ill enjoy my pain pills while they last
|

replied March 31st, 2012
i had similar symptoms to most posters. all 4 teeth removed and swelling seemed to be going down fine until left side went up like a ball in my cheek.

My surgeon prescribed me antibiotics and said everything was fine but the swelling didn't really go down.. until 3 years later i kid you not. (turns out it became scar tissue within my cheek from the body walling off infection) all you guys who have no lasting symptons consider yourself lucky T_T
|

replied April 20th, 2012
Lump on jaw bone after wisdom teeth were pulled
I had my wisdom teeth pulled gosh.... a month maybe a month and a half ago and I have a lump on my left side on the jaw bone. It hurts when I touch it and it doesn't move. It's like on the bone. I don't know what to do either, I have maxed out my dental ins for the yr just on the wisdom teeth being pulled.
|

replied April 20th, 2012
I had my wisdom teeth pulled gosh.... a month maybe a month and a half ago and I have a lump on my left side on the jaw bone. It hurts when I touch it and it doesn't move. It's like on the bone. I don't know what to do either, I have maxed out my dental ins for the yr just on the wisdom teeth being pulled.
|

replied April 20th, 2012
|

replied September 16th, 2012
Lump on left side of jaw bone after wisdom tooth
I have the exact same problem after having one bottom wisdom tooth take out on left side,a month down the line and I developed what feels like a lump on the inside of my jaw bone on left side.What could it be.......
|

replied August 5th, 2013
So I had all my wisdom teeth extracted from my mouth on June 14, 2013. I had my mouth swollen for about 3 weeks, and had been on antibiotics. a week after my surgery though my surgeon gave me w solution to wash out my lower wounds in my mouth. I finished using all of it and the swelling had gone down before I went on vacation with my boyfriend in Virginia. Needless to say, I came home and about a week later the swelling was coming back, so that was about week 6 after my surgery. I'm gonna call my dentist and see if its anything bad. My parents think it might be an infection, or a pocket full of fluids. Helpfully it's neither of those.
|
12 >>