Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Soft Large Bump On Scalp (Page 1)

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
For some time now I have thought that I had 2 indents on the top of my scalp in the front but now I realize that there is a bump just above my forehead.

This is a large (about 3" long) bump, squishy and I have a worried feeling about it.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper JACK37
|

User Profile
replied December 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Has this lump developed gradually?
What's the color of the skin?
Is it smooth to the touch and round in shape?
|

replied January 19th, 2008
Experienced User
I had a little bump on my head
I had a little bump on my head about 3/4 of a inch. I don't drink or smoke and I take real good of my health. I got to a dermatologist two or three times a years. I was told the bump was nothing. Well I went to another dermatologist and found out it was cancer....melanoma. Whag a shock. I had surgery on top of my head and had to had lymph nodes check out. I was told all was okay. But I still worry. Get your bump check out NOW and get it taken off. You don't want bad news later. Jack Let me know how you do.
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, JACK37!
You story is shocking (you had regular check ups at dermatologist and the cancer wasn't recognized)!
What was the bump like?
Were you told that had unspecific characteristics for melanoma?
Did you get melanoma diagnosis only after biopsy or excision?

Approximately 20% of melanomas originate in the head and neck.
|

replied March 14th, 2008
Experienced User
Melanoma was diagnosis after the biopsy. They cut extra skin out and lymph nodes and that was all okay. the Melanomas was .75mm. It was like dry skin on my head. I showed it to three dermatologist and all told me it was nothing for over a year. I was at a dermatologist with a friend and I asked that doctor who told me it did not look good. She did the biopsy etc.
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, JACK37!
It's been a long time since my last post!
I'm sorry!
I hope you feel fine!

I guess your doctors had confused your melanoma with seborrheic keratoses, that's very common benign growth with different clinical appearances.

Do you have regular check ups at your dermatologist?
|

replied July 21st, 2008
I was born with a hard pencil eraser sixed hard bump on the back left side of my scalp. It has always been there, but never gave me any problems. Yesterday I woke up and realized my scalp in that area was tender. I touched it to realize the small hard bump wasn't there, but it seemed to get a little bigger and soft and very tender. I pressed on it and i felt a slight pain through my head like a headache. I have a slight headache today and the soft lump is still there and tender. I'm almost kind of worried. Should I be?
|

replied July 21st, 2008
I was born with a hard pencil eraser sized hard bump on the back left side of my scalp. It has always been there, but never gave me any problems. Yesterday I woke up and realized my scalp in that area was tender. I touched it to realize the small hard bump wasn't there, but it seemed to get a little bigger and soft and very tender. I pressed on it and i felt a slight pain through my head like a headache. I have a slight headache today and the soft lump is still there and tender. I'm almost kind of worried. Should I be?
|

replied January 22nd, 2009
small bump on the scalp
I have had mine for almost a week now im very afraid and im only 13 yrs old..It hurts when i touch it.I cant really see it.My parents think im faking.But im really not but they dont believe me though what should i do? Im freaking out.Scared.What if its cancer?I dont wanna die.At least not right now.
Help Me Please,
Nacole
|

replied February 15th, 2009
small bump on the scalp
If your parents dont believe you, you should go see the school nurse and see what they think. Maybe if she thinks you are telling the truth then she can tell your parents to get you to a doc.
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2010
Bumps under the scalp
I need a quick answer.... My niece of 4 years old has had what I believe is Psoriasis on her scalp, it appears that it exudes a puss. It covers half of her scalp It is very difficult to wash her hair as the puss clings to her hair. Anyway today during a bath I noticed various large bumps. they are under the scalp and soft but firm to the touch. the largest one is 2 inches long and about an inch thick and raises the skin 1 half an inch.. can you help?
|

replied August 28th, 2010
My husband has a slight swelling on his hairline, on the right side. He said it is agony if it is touched! but being a typical man (no offense, but most will agree) he wont go to the doc's!

Its is maybe an inch wide in size and spongy to touch. Does anyone have any ideas?
|

replied September 2nd, 2010
Don't quite understand you. You say "one" and then "2 soft bumps". And what do you mean by ear lumb? Is it "ear LOBE" you mean?
If it's the 'one' that hurts, by what little info you give, it sounds like it could be a sebaceous cyst forming. On some people the scalp can be very sensitive in some ares. Since it's the size of a quarter, I determine it has been there for several days at least. You need to see a doctor about it. Don't try to squeeze it or lance it yourself as if it is a sebaceous infection, then if it gets on the surrounding area it can cause more of the same.
|

replied January 14th, 2011
hi I have a soft lump on top of my head well the left side it's been there for a while it hurts when I touch it also I get realy bad headaches almost everyday I took a photo of it and it looks like skin growing what could it be please help
|

replied July 5th, 2011
help
Hi guys, I also have this soft, liquid like bump on my head. I think I got this bump when I flipped a quad over, and I fell head first. The bump didn't show that same day though, it was the next day that I felt it. It's been three days after the wreck, and I have to know if this is going to get worse or not, how long will it last, and what do I have to look out for. Please, I'm just 14, and I still gotta a lot of life to live. Is this something vital, or not?
|

replied July 5th, 2011
help
Hi guys, I also have this soft, liquid like bump on my head. I think I got this bump when I flipped a quad over, and I fell head first. The bump didn't show that same day though, it was the next day that I felt it. It's been three days after the wreck, and I have to know if this is going to get worse or not, how long will it last, and what do I have to look out for. Please, I'm just 14, and I still gotta a lot of life to live. Is this something vital, or not?
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied August 2nd, 2011
is this cancer?! plz help?!
hey everyone, i have a dark bruse like circle on the top of my mouth... i noticed it like 4/5 days ago, when i press on it with my tounge it hurts a little.

also on my shoulder i have a brown mole about the size of a pencile eraser. it is very hard and does not hurt at all... its almost numb.

plz tell me what you think i should do... thx
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi chess and welcome to ehealth: About your shoulder, these moles usually have a discoloration to them and are uneven...As far as your mouth, you could have burned this and you are seeing the result of this problem..Truthfully, on any kind of skin cancer, only a Dermatologist can tell you if you have a problem...If you are in doubt, see your physician...Take care...

Caroline
|

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2012
shiny red bump on scalp
hi my 12 year old nephew has a hard red shiny bump on his scalp that we have just noticed.Should we be concerned?i actually feel really worried.

Many thanks

mark
|
12 >>