Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Environmental Depression

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I just wanted to share some feelings about the environment. I noticed early this year that I started avoiding news about global warming because it makes me depressed. Then it turned into a real emotional problem for me and has an implicit effect upon how I feel in general. I'm depressed that the world is slowly going down the drain. The politicians as well as citizens are not doing enough. I sometimes go to a secound cup cafe around the corner and I notice most people drink out of paper cups. Why? They're not going outside with them. People complain about the politicians that they don't do enough. But it is the people that elect that kind of politicians that are partly to blame.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2008
Supporter
Hi
Snap out of it man and live in the real world............Lve each day as if it were your last...............you can not get time back and here you go wasting it on sweating about global warming and incredibly politics...... Paper cups is hte least of my worries. Yes, we are in a water drought here and I do everythign in my power to conserve the water and energy we are provided.....but I am NOT gonna get my panties in a wad and gripe and groan and complain...becasue it only makes you bitter......Try to find something positive everyday, I try every hour....egativity eats away at you. I guess until you face deaths doors, you can't honestly appreciate life. I wake up every morning and I thank God I am alive and thank him for the ability to feel, smell,see, hear and please help me to reach out to someone who may need a helping hand....a smile, a hug, a hello.......Depression will steal your life away from you if YOU allow it........and it has taken far too much of my time.....and it AINT" gonna get anymore! Make your environment a good place..........its up to you!
|

replied January 26th, 2008
Experienced User
Some of the most so-called "positive" people are the most wasteful. They, too, usually believe that they were put on this Earth by God to use it up. You have probably never been in a beautiful forest hundreds of years old and then in a clearcut to compare it too. This is where your paper cups come from.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Succinct as ever, Philo! Wink
|

User Profile
Supporter
For you info
I live in the middle of 44 acres (forest in which I own) and yes I know what paper companies can do/rape land for the timber. Thats why I refuse to sell for any price. I DO NOT USE paperproducts. I use real plates, real linen napkins and real silverware.........Bout hte only wasteful product is toliet paper and I make damend sure its fomr recycled paper. I only have 5 bags of garbage a year......Everything else I RECYCLE. I recycle things to keep them from going ot a landfill by donating them. I was put on this earth to try to make it a betterplace before I leave it. I own my own property, I own my own house, well and septic system and I use/reuse things over and over to help save the environment. I thry to think ofways to keep this earth a beautiful place for future generations. I have 22 bird feeders and 6 birdbaths. There are deer that run freely through my yard, opossum, raccoon and an occasional black bear.........Positive thinking is thinking ahead about not wasting what we were blessed with. Not everyone thinks in these terms and I really feel for those who are ignorant enough to not give a rats ass...........I take my own bag to hte grocery store and I will not buy unless its in a recycled/recyclable container............Bet you don't wash out sandwich bags or baggies and use them until you can't use them anymore.........I bet you don't reuse bread bags or take the last slivers of soap and cook them down to make a useable bar.................don't preach to me about positive and being thrifty and trying to save waht beauty in this planet we have left. And I am financially secure...sure I could use it and chunk it and fill up a land fill andsay the hell with the forrest..................But thats not me!
|

Experienced User
Hmmm... Are you bipolar? Because your 2 posts on this topic don't seem to match. In the first one you're attacking me for worrying and being emotional about the planet, in the second you're the most environmental person ever. In any case kudos on your green behaviour.

Edited for succintness. Wink
|

replied September 4th, 2009
Environmental depression
Philo I would like to talk to you because I believe this sort of experience you are having is not being given legitamacy and therefore is not being addressed enough.
I'd appreciate it if you could write me so we can talk more
|

replied September 4th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
As always a good post philo.
I don't trust fairy godmother's advice or views.
It should make you depressed, how could it not, its spot on mate. You people smile to much for the type of situation that we are in, and you are driving me insane with your so called positivity, which is actually negativity in the real world of sanity, you wouldn't know or like actual positivity if it walked up and said hello.

I guess though that most people should be oblivious or carefree or at least pretend because I suspect that if you people didn't you would become violent or something negative like that. Depression isn't bad, at least if you're depressed about the right things not having a bad hair day, it's also not a choice its just what people that make sense do, and ya know why, because life sucks.

Oh, and let's live every day likes it's our last, that would be disastrous, and idiotic upon other things. Most people wouldn't even know what to do with their last days. They would go eat the juicy flesh of an animal get extremely drunk and have lots of sex probably. Whether it is your last day or not, do good, who really cares if you have thousands of days left or just one hour, that shouldn't effect you doing the right thing.
|