Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Jumping Legs And Pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
For about four months my left leg was jumping; not a tremor, kind of like a jerking/involuntary movement. I was unable to control this movement. Toes do not draw up and my feet were not effected. Sometimes the jumping would last all day and some days it would not do it a all. Sometimes it would only jump once or twice a day. When my leg was not jumping, it is very painful. My right leg has never jumped.
Now the jumping appears to be gone, but the pain is almost unbearable. Sometimes I can hardly walk. In the morning to pain is like a dull pain, but as the day wears on its get worse. It is not a muscle pain, the best way to describe it is like a bone pain (deep in my legs)from my thighs to almost my feet.
I have had a brain MRI, c-spine MRI, lumbar MRI, and sleep deprived EEG--all are normal. Blood work is all OK. Lyme test was negative. But I still don't have a diagnosis.
I am taking no medications. I am a nurse so I am on my feet all day, usually work about 10+ hours a day x four days a week. No regular exercise routine, but in fairly good shape. I am a male, 41 years old, 5' 5" and weigh 134 lbs.
In 2005, I had to have a colon resection due to diverticulitis, while in the hospital I had problems with my potassium being low at times and had to have IV potassium 2 or 3 times. But since then I am unaware of it being low again.
No smoking, no alcohol. Mom has diabetes and sister had gestational diabetes x 2 births, and currently has hypothyroidism, being treated with Thyrolar.
MS, Parkinson's, Wilson's disease, Huntington's have all been ruled out. ALS was brought up?
RLS was discussed but because when my leg jumps/jerks it does so about a foot off the ground. For example, I will be sitting in a chair, with legs bent, and my leg will hit the underside of a table.
My question about RLS, does it only happen at night? When this all started it was a constant jumping day and night, the doctor prescribed Flexeril until I could get into another doctor. Flexeril did help the jumping but the tugging sensation was still there as if it wants or is trying to jump, but can't.
There seem to be no other symptoms, just pain in both legs now.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Have a great day!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Emg
Did the doctors do an EMG to check the nerves?
|

replied January 20th, 2009
jumping legs & pain
John did you ever get a medical answer? I ask this as I too have what you have described right to the "T". All my doctor wants to do is test, test, test, and drugs, drugs and more drugs. Thank you in advance for any help you have forth coming. Audrey
|

replied August 8th, 2012
Neuro Problem
Any evidence of Arnold Chiari Malformation on your brain mri? It took me six years to get diagnosed correctly..lotsa of test. I was having symptoms similar to MS. Also have cord compression of my cervical spine.. which is currently causing my legs to jump.. reflexes hyper.. How is your neuro exam? What about nerve conduction studies? Sometimes.. as you know being in the medical field .. as I am now.. you have to be persistant about asking for a second opinion. I am glad I pushed on my healthcare.. also request your records.. including films.. I had them hold information back years ago.. Some doctors are being grilled about procedures and test ordering because HMOs don't want to pay. Best of Luck.. Hope you find an answer.

Regards, Anneliese
|

replied August 8th, 2012
Also recommend anyone who cannot get a diagnoses try going to a teaching hospital. They are going to be more likely to diagnose difficult cases. They also don't let insurance companies dictate treatment.
|