Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Tylenol 3 While Pregnant? (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
I was wondering if anyone know if it is safe to take tylenol 3 while pregnant? Or if anyone has done so themselves?

My neurologist said it would be fine. And I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant right now. (I'm 95% sure I'm not) However, I will be one day. But, I was just curious. I really can't find much about it online.

Obviously, when I do get pregnant I will ask my ob, but until then, I was wondering if anyone here knows.

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 20th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i think a lot of pregnant women are given that.

i will never take it while pregnant again. i was prescribed that when i was about 7 1/2-8 weeks pregnant with my first and at 13 weeks i found out the baby had died at 8 weeks. maybe it was a coincidence, but i'll never know.
|

User Profile
Supporter
As far as i know paracetamal is prettty much all you can have, i never took it though because t's so weak it didn't do anything
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I too was taking Tylenol #3 when I was pregnant the last time. I was told it was safe but then like Bridget found out that the baby had died at 9 wks. I had had an ultrasound at 6.5 wks and the baby was doing great with a nice strong heartbeat. At first I didn't even relate the too but now after knowing that the same thing happened to Bridget I am really starting to wonder.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I don't know. I just sucked it up and didn't take any medication at all until the third trimester, just to be cautious. It was brutal because I get chronic migraines, but I'd rather be in pain and on the safe side than maybe take something that would hurt the baby.
|

Especially eHealthy
Katrinadoodle wrote:
I'd rather be in pain and on the safe side than maybe take something that would hurt the baby.

mine was prescribed and i asked like 10 times if it was ok.

now i don't take anything while pregnant, not even regular tylenol. i don't even want to take a puff off my inhaler if i'm having trouble breathing (but i have twice).
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I hope regular Tylenol is okay, I've only taken it twice, so I think I'll be fine and I too waited til I was about 20wks before I took anything, just to be on the safe side. Two people saying they had a miscarriage from Tylenol 3 makes me NEVER want to take it. I'm sorry to hear about that Crying or Very sad
|

User Profile
Supporter
from what i found out tylenol 3 is too strong for pregnant women unless given under supervision
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Wow, that's scary!

I don't know what I'll do. Does anyone know of anything stronger then Tylenol that is ok? (obviously, it would be prescribed by my doctor)
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I took it for 2 days for headaches and everything turned out ok I was 8 wks along. But I was only allowed it in the morning 1 pill a day.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I don't think anything stronger than regular Tylenol would be safe, that's why you are aloud to take it, it's weak.
|

User Profile
replied December 21st, 2007
Supporter
I had this wicked migraine when i was pregnant with Jersey. I was probably 12-14 weeks along, and the pain had already lasted over 24 hours.

I phoned my OB and he ok'd it. He doesn't recommend it though. But the pain was so severe, i had to.
|

User Profile
Supporter
no but it is safe to take the tylenol in moderation of course
|

Experienced User
I was just prescribed Tylenol 3 for my Siatic (however you spell it) nerve. Seems like my baby boy loves to play with it...lol but I am taking it and I am 30 weeks almost 31 weeks and I am fine and so is the baby.
|

replied December 22nd, 2007
Experienced User
I was prescribed Tylenol 3's when I was around 6 months pregnant and after my son was born the doctors all told me that that doctor should not have prescribed it because it is known to cause cleft palate.Thankfully my son didn't have any side effects from it and if I had known about it than I definately wouldn't have taken it.
My OB prescribed me something called 'emtecs' it is almost the same thing as a tylenol 3 only without the codeine.And he said it was perfectly safe for pregnancy.
|

replied October 9th, 2012
I work in a pharmacy, and emtec is a narcotic kept in the safe, it contains acetaminophen 300mg and codeine 30 mg
|

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2007
Supporter
My doctor told me ANYTHING that is made by Tylenol is fine during pregnancy.

Other than that, he also told me any children's medication would be fine too (for that constant cough or sore throat).
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: Tylenol 3 While Pregnant?
mc4ever02 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone know if it is safe to take tylenol 3 while pregnant? Or if anyone has done so themselves?

My neurologist said it would be fine. And I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant right now. (I'm 95% sure I'm not) However, I will be one day. But, I was just curious. I really can't find much about it online.

Obviously, when I do get pregnant I will ask my ob, but until then, I was wondering if anyone here knows.

Thanks!

I'd say no thats what my Dr. told me, she said its too strong and gave me a list of what meds were safe for me to take.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I took it whenever I was pregnant. The dr prescribed it so I figured it would be okay.
|

replied December 29th, 2007
Re: Tylenol 3 While Pregnant?
My doctor precribed me Tylenol 3 while pregnant. I did not take it because I decided to stick with taking percocet instead, which I took during my entire pregnancy and my babies are perfectly healthy. There are no proven cases of Tylenol 3 causing problems for baby or miscarriage.
|

replied April 2nd, 2009
tylenol 3 IS OKAY
I had debilitating almost daily migraines during both of my pregnancies. My doctors prescribed T3s at first and then switched me to hydrocodone to keep my BP from skyrocketing from the migraine, which is way worse for the baby. I was also given demerol, percocet (oxycodone), morphine, phenergan and dolgic plus at various stages.

If you have access to scholarly journal articles, you can read up on actual studies, which put my mind at ease. The association between cleft palate and codeine is weak at best. Results are inconsistent across studies and as my doctors noted, there is strong evidence that the women who give birth to these babies (with defects) have other problems related to their NEED for Tylenol (chicken before egg kind of thing)...e.g., a woman on T3 also has a script for Zoloft and depression, or poor eating habits because she's feeling poorly, or both, etc.

I was scared at first but I read the science and trusted my docs. My baby boy is now 1 year old and in perfect health...born the day he was supposed to be induced...8 lbs 13 oz.; now he says more than 30 words at 1 week past a year and is way ahead of the game on development.

Your miscarriages, though heartbreaking, were a coincidence. 1 of 3 pregnancies miscarry, ladies, it sucks. I lost my first pregnancy 4 months in and really wanted someone or something to blame, but we lost our daughter because a run-of-the-mill urinary tract infection polluted her amniotic sac and caused preterm labor. Autopsy showed that she was perfectly healthy and actually above average. Ironically, pharmaceuticals could have saved her if we had only known early enough.

Trust your docs. You don't have to be a martyr while pregnant and suffer for your baby. Decades of results have shown the safety and efficacy of these meds during pregnancy.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply