Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Cold Draft On Forehead = Sinus Headaches (Page 1)

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
I have had this condition for quite a few years. It only happens in the Winter.

I live in Maine and if my forehead is exposed to a cold draft of winter air for as little as 30 seconds, I get a terrible Sinus headache in the forehead area that can last for days.

I don't get any Sinus drainage with this... (mucus, etc.). Aspirin and Tylenol does not help, so I have to take Benedryl which relieves it after a few days. I am not supposed to take Benedryl because of Heart Disease, but I have no other choice to relieve the pain.

When sleeping at night time, if I lie in bed the pain grows worse to a terrible throbbing pain. So, I have to sleep "sitting up" in a chair.

I have told my doctor about this, and he just shrugs it off as a sinus headache, but I have never heard of anyone else that has experienced this.

I always wear a hat when I am outside, but all it takes is a cold winter draft, (if a passenger rolls down a car window for a few seconds, or I stick my head out the door just to get the newspaper on the doorstep), and it will instantly bring on a headache in my forehead.

Has anyone ever heard of this, and knows what medication can be used to alleviate the pain?

Thank you,

Jim
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Hoochie
|

replied December 20th, 2007
Cure My Allergy - Complete Guide For Curing Allergies.
I found this article on Curing Sinus Headache on this Blog.

It may help you.

Check this out.

http://curemyallergy.blogspot.com/2007/12/ cure-sinus-headache-home-remedy.html
|

replied December 21st, 2007
Headache
Thank you for posting the link, but the type of headache is not covered in it. As mentioned in my initial post, I have no Sinus drainage...

Jim
|

replied January 29th, 2008
Cold draft headaches
Jim,
I have exactly the same problem. Summer or winter....a short draft of maybe 20 seconds will result in a sinus headache that lasts from a few hours to one full day. I'm 55 and lost a good deal of my hair. I wear a thin stokcing cap to bed since even that exposure to cooler air will cause sinus problems. I have found that OTC 12 hr sinus medicines like Sudafed 12 hour along with Tylenol migraine pills head me quite bit. I live in the Chicago area, so I see the full gamit of weather.
John
|

replied February 18th, 2009
cold draft headaches
At last somebody with the same symptoms.

I am currently working with somebody who loves to open the window in the middle of February and just as you say for 20 seconds sitting in the breeze can start my head. It will last all day and the next day I will be very shaky as a result.

Mary
|

replied March 25th, 2009
drafty headaches
I thought I was the only one with this problem. I have always believed it was low air pressure, and not the actual cold air causing the pain. My reasoning- the instant a window was opened, I got immediate aches before the cold air actually hit me. Similarly, if a window was completely sealed, with the cold air on one side, and room temperature on the other, it would continue to cause pain. Being doctors never provided a remedy, I simply searched for a bone to crack to relieve the pressure (the same way you crack your knuckles). For my nasal pressure I pressed down softly on my upper nasal bone, until I heard it pop. Although, I would not recommend any one try this
|

replied June 22nd, 2009
I have the exact same problem, and it's an awful way to live. It's amazing to find others with the same/similar issue. The cold are scares me because I know what's coming thereafter; hours of tension, pressure, pain and woozy feeling. My condition is so extreme that I cannot handle air conditioning. It's as if the cold air seeps through trap muscles and straight to my left sinus then directly to the top of my head, causing a major headache. I don't remember the last time I was headache free. I take Topimax daily at bed time but it's not helping the problem. I plan to head back to the Neurologist. I can't believe that there's NOTHING that can be done.
|

replied December 9th, 2009
Head pain from cool air or weather
I have the same condition too. It is the muscles, they are locking up from the cool air. I found a multiB vitamin helps, but eating every 4 hours helps too and no snacking. My Doc told me it was classic migrane, I never believed him from the start, it's the muscles. I never have this problem in warm weather. This can even cause severe dizziness by causing all muscles to cramp in the head including the eye muscles. I use a small hand held ultrasound to relieve the pain, they are available on ebay.
|

replied December 19th, 2009
It really worths to try caffeine together with aspirine.

Head pain from cool air is mostly caused by one or more nerves in head area. it is called Neuralgia.

I had this annoying headache for days, and finally solved it with treo tablets (caffeine+aspirine).

Good Luck
|

replied January 13th, 2010
Draft Headaches
I have this and I know what works for me. I've had this type of headache since I was very young. You must try taking a medication (usually over the counter purchase, but may require signature and ID) that consists of
Ibuprofen combined with Pseudoephidrine. Read the label on the box to make sure the ingredients are there or just ask your local pharmacist. It works within an hour after you take it. Your sinuses will drain. I also find that if I have a cup of strong black coffee and take 2 ibuprofen, I get similar results also, but it may take a little longer. I hope this helps. God bless and good luck.
|

replied July 25th, 2010
Headaches from a cold head
I'm also a long-time sufferer of paralysing headaches if my forehead gets cold overnight. I have only found one product that works, and it is naproxin sodium in an aspirin base - commonly sold as painkillers for period pain (Naprogesic, Aleve). I take the recommended dose and am usually fine within 4 hours, as opposed to 2 days if I don't take medication.
|

replied September 15th, 2010
Cure for this type of migraines.
Hi I am 25 and have had sinus migraines as you described since I remember, after doing a lot of research, I have found a "cure" to the pain. These migraines have a lot to do with serotonin, vasodilation and other pathways that I won't get into. (I'm a third year med student, so this research was fun for me, but alas TMI).

If you feel that you are going to get a migraine, such as in the AM, then take 2-3 OTC B3 pills (the Niacinamide form), these will give you a flush, your skin will redden and your sinus vessels will dilate, preventing the migraine from coming on.
If the sinus is already on, go to either urgent care, or your doctor and ask for Sumatriptan Succinate Injection form. It is most effective in subcutaneous injection, just as Diabetics do it, with a small insulin injection in the arm. You will have to ask your doctor, just say it's for migraines, and he/she will gladly prescribe you a bunch, or better yet, ask for the nurse to give you an injection right then and there. Within 15 minutes the migraine will be gone. The injection does the same thing as B3, only much more globally, thus its the only way once the migraine has started.

Good luck, also make sure you have insurance as 5 or so vials cost around $700 last I checked, with my PPO insurance it came to $10-.
|

replied September 30th, 2011
What causes low levels of vitamin B3?
Hi Andre,

I assume your recommendation of taking OTC B3 pills is in hopes that it will help with the serotonin levels? Thus, hopefully prevent the migraine? My question is, what causes low levels of vitamin B3 in the first place? Can low levels of vitamin B3 result from something as simple as the common cold? I ask because I only get massive migraine attacks once I've come down with a cold. Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom
|

replied September 30th, 2011
Hi Andre,

Also, how do the dilated sinuses prevent a migraine from coming on?

Thanks.
|

replied February 20th, 2011
I am so delighted to find others with the same ailment. My headaches occur after a night sleeping in a cold room and continue for at least 3-4 days. The headache involves all sinuses and occasionally the ear as well. Until very recently I assumed they were related to infection but have come to the realization they do not always involve congestion. The swelling, or feeling of swelling feels like congestion.

Having successfully researched a different medical problem from prior years with relief from the constant pain as a result,I started on this quest hoping to find the same result. I have found others who suffer the same symptoms, but have not found a doctor or group out there attempting to find a medical answer to our problem.

I will continue my search and report anything I find as a fellow sufferer. Please do the same for me.

Thank you
C.Hancock Ed.D
|

replied July 29th, 2011
Thanks for the posts. I also have this trouble which I am pretty sure started from being at high altitude and really cold-highest point of Mongolia @ -45c
I thought it was a brain tumor!! It's like the part of my brain just behind my forehead freezes. I wear a beanie to bed if its cold and usually can relieve it with Aspro/Asprin. But it is rather debilitating. I also find if I massage my eyebrows-squashing, squeezing and rubbing vigorously does help. Good luck guys
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
Dear All,

I have the same problem as well and as many of you said if my head is exposed for a few seconds then I'll get the headache for a while.

I try to stay in the dark when I have the headache because exposure to light makes it worse. Also, my eyes become bulgy.

The best solution for me is to keep my head covered all the time I'm out. I usually don't take any medication but if the pain is extreme I take panadol extra tablets. I'm not sure if they supposed to help this sort of pain but, they make me feel better.

All the best to everyone I hope you all feel better
|

replied January 26th, 2012
cold air migraine
breathing cold air through my nose while asleep triggers me,
after many years and different medications "RELPAX" was suggested and has been the only thing I've ever taken that actually makes pain in my eyebrow, eye, cheekbone and teeth ( usually only one side ) disappear completely within 2 hours. From nausea and pain to nothing at all, no hangover or drowsiness for me at least,
can only get them while under treatment by a doctor in australia.
Its a migraine medication.
|

replied March 1st, 2012
Headache due to exposure to cold
Hi,
I have had the same issue from my childhood. I am a 35 years Indian male. It was ok when I was back in India, since the weather is mostly warm. When I moved to US (NJ) it got worse. Exposure to every 2-3 seconds of chill weather (anything under 65F)leave along winters triggers terrible headache. Within few hours, I end up throwing and have to shut myself in a dark, silent room. I wouldn't be able to lie down so end up sitting on my bed all night till the headache goes off by itself. i noticed there are other factors that lead to this situation - When I skip my lunch; when I do not pass stools normally for whatever reason and a combination of above two with cold conditions.

What helps is that when I know I am getting there, I apply a pain relieving balm onto a cotton ball and stuff it into my ears, wear warm socks to keep my feet warm (there are pressure points in palm and feet that control headaches).Also, whenever I go out in cold/chilly weather conditions, I always use a small amount of cotton balls to stuff my ears. Small amount because it forms a shield between my ear opening and outside air and also it's not so conspicuous.
|

replied March 4th, 2012
I had "killer" sinus headaches that started suddenly when I was in my forties. About ten years later, around 1998? while visiting a health food store in Arizona, the manager told me "if people took MSM, they would not have sinus headaches." I bought a bottle and when I returned to Texas, I started taking them. I stopped having sinus headaches. True story! I took just 1000 mg per day for several months - can't remember exactly how long - and later started taking it for a few days only when I felt the slightest sinus headache symptom. Many months, maybe even a year passes before I feel even a twinge or hint of the headache. I am going to start taking the recommended dosage for detox and hopefully some relief from knee pain. I have never seen MSM touted for sinus headaches online, which is a shame. If you have them, you know how miserable and sick they make you feel. If you try MSM and your headaches stop, please come back to this forum and report it, as well as spreading the word in other forums, blogs, twits, etc. MSM does not stop the pain of a headache, but I stopped getting the headaches after only a few months of taking it in capsule form.
|

replied August 17th, 2012
placed order for MSM.
I have exactly same problem of sinus headaches when exposed to cold. It is pathetic once this pain starts around my eyebrows, nose and forehead.
Currently i use saridon tablet (Caffeine+Paracetamol+Propyphenazone). I get quick relief within an hour.
Other drugs i currently use / explored for related issue are :
Actified (GSK) and Cofvyn(Cipla) - both are Sudafed tablets
Antihystamines - RhynocartAqua, Nozomac-F (nasal spray) - this is mainly for dust allergy. symptoms- sneezing, running nose, itching around eyes/throat

But 'Prevention is better than cure'.
After reading this post and some more online research, I placed order for MSM. I'll update progress in few weeks.
|

replied April 11th, 2012
I am so glad to have found this site. I am not alone! That is amazing and also horrible for others, like me, who live in fear of wind-chill factors, drafts, freezer sections of the supermarket, air conditioning etc. I am known as The Cat in The Hat because I always have one with me, to whip on at a moments notice.
My huge fear and concern is that one day I might have a stroke (for instance) and have no power to voice my needs or control my environment. what then? Days of vomiting? Pain unremitting? I am scared.
Full of active environmental self management, I know I can live with this, but not being able to manage it in any other situation really scares me.
Do others feel as I do? I don't conduct my life as a victim, but I am afraid.
|

replied July 8th, 2012
Frozen head (Migraines?) due to cold air
I have a similar thing happen to me. I've always been a bit more sensitive to cold, in comparison to others, but I paid no attention to it. In 2009/2010, it snowed really heavily in Brighton, UK (where I live), and I was in a rented accommodation, where the landlord didn't maintain the property properly (really rotten doors and windows), so ended up getting a really bad cold/chest infection as a result (just couldn't keep any heat in).

Around April of 2010, I noticed that I didn't have a cold anymore, but was still coughing and wheezing. I went to my GP who diagnosed me with Asthma!?!?
Since then I have found that the Asthma I've got used to be classified as intrinsic asthma, and in my case, was brought on by the extreme cold conditions I suffered those two winters.

I should also mention, that I've always suffered from headaches and migraines, but since I was diagnosed with asthma, I can't be in a room that's even slightly cold. I'm usually alright, until I have to go to bed - within 20 minutes of me laying down, I get what I can only describe as a "frozen head", and then if I don't take anything for it, the symptoms remain for one to two days afterwards.

The weird thing is that even if I have the heating on, and there's a slight breeze, it can still occur, and this seems to happen when I breathe the air in through my mouth. My whole body can be sweating, and I can be laying on top of the covers, cos it's so hot from the heating, but it still happens.

I had my GP check for any brain tumors, but that came back negative. He told me I was just highly sensitive to cold, and that results in my suffering from migraines. He did give me these sachets (I don't swallow pills lol) called: Paramax, which I take when I first feel the signs of a migraine coming on, and they usually work.

I wonder if the only way past this is to move to a warmer climate?
|

replied July 31st, 2012
Answer to the original problem is: "MUSCELE CRAMP". A muscle cramp is a sudden and involuntary contraction of one or more of your muscles. It is annoying but harmless. It happens to some swimmers' legs in cold water or to some people in the waist area in cold weather, but in this case it affects forehead muscles. Look for medications that relax muscles, that works for you, and follow advice to prevent "MUSCELE CRAMPS".
|

replied February 6th, 2014
I have the same problems for almost 20 years. Pain comes after exposure of my head to cold, but also after some type of excercises where neck muscles are involved. Both trigger the same type of pain, coming from neck muscles (I think), and taking 2-3 days long. And in both cases it help relaxation excercises for neck muscles, massage, warm poultice on the back of neck, warm air (from hair dryer) for at least 7 minutes.

This problem appeared when I started my first job as a programmer, which means sitting on the chair, gazing into monitor. And also dry air in the office, air conditioning in the summer, from time to time opened window in the winter.

My protection: in the cold weather always waer a good cap, in summer avoid air coditioned areas, do relaxation excercises every evening. It is almost impossible to do strength excercises (well, it is possible but results in having bad pain for days) - it always requires really good warm-up, relaxation before and after strength excercise.
|
12 >>