Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

Antibiotics to treat chlamydia

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
User Profile
is there a strain of chlamydia that is untreatable?? i feel i have taken more than enough antibiotics to cure it and yet i am still having symptoms. what other antibiotics can treat chlamydia? What would your advice be? Please help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 16th, 2008
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A3522
You wrote:

"List of other diseases, conditions, or injuries and their treatment: back problems- physical therapy, acupuncture, anti inflams, pain killers

Diagnosis that has been suggested: chlamydia

Current medical status: i was diagnoes with chlamydia about a month ago and was prescribed dxycycline for 7 days. I took it and i still had symptoms so i was prescribed a gram of zithromax. I took it also and still has symptoms after 7 days. I went back and was tested and still positive. I then was given another gram of zithromax then 7 days of levaquin. Still have symptoms. Doc says i might have trich so i am on flagyl right now and still have symptoms.

Current medical treatment: flagyl 500mg 3 times a day 10 days. Getting tested again soon but am assuming it will still be positive. Got referred to urologist but appointment isnt until FEB and i cant wait that long."

There could be a strain of Chlamydia that is resistant to some types of antibiotics but it's almost impossible that the infection is resistant to three different antibiotics. In addition to tetracyclines (doxycycline etc.) and macrolides (erythromycin, azitromycin etc.), Chlamydia is also sensitive to cefalosporines, clindamycin and gentamycin. Before changing antibiotic treatment, you should check for evidence of another possible infective agent that might be causing the infection (this is called a "mixed infection"). A microbiological smear from the vagina and a Pap-test can help.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexually Transmitted Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.