Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Swollen Nodes on left side, headaches

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hi. I am a 25 y/o female with recently enlarged swollen lymph nodes, both on the left side of my body. One is a swollen cervical node and the other is just behind my ear. I have had headaches on and off at the base of my skull for about a month. I don't drink, smoke, I eat healthy (I am a vegan), i'm not overweight and I exercise at least 5x/week. I noticed the swollen nodes 2 days ago and over these 2 days the nodes have enlarged. I hate going to the dr but I am forcing myself to go tomorrow. I also have hypothyroidism and take synthroid for this. I am extremely nervous about what these swollen lymph nodes could mean. I know it could be a simple infection or something such as lymphoma or another type of cancer. My left ear also aches. I am under a great deal of stress at work. I work for a hospice agency so I know this could be something serious. I am so scared. Anyone else have any insight?? I know I have to see a physician.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kke41
|

User Profile
replied December 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Most of the time the lymph nodes get swollen because of infections even apparent one.
Did the swelling appear suddenly and is painful?
Have you been coughing or having runny and stuffy nose recently?
Do you have severe earache or an itching sensation and pain in your ear?
|

replied January 7th, 2012
submandibular node inflamation
Hi MandMs, I have the same problem and the answers to your questions are: yes,yes,yes.
Is really painful to turn my neck, the pain is mostly on the right side where the inflamed nodule is located, and on the left side.
what you thing could be the reason?
Thanks.
|

replied December 21st, 2007
My throat isn't sore and I just feel achy and run down. No runny nose, no ear infection. I do have pain in my ear, I just think it is radiating from the throbbing in my head (which now includes the right back and side of my head) and the swellign in my neck.
I went to the dr yesterday and see gave me amox to take for a week. She said my left tonsil is enlarged and the left side ofmy neck and jaw is swollen. A lymph node on the left side of my neck is also swollen. It appears to be larger today. I have had a dull pain right under my left collar bone above the breast and above the armpit (It is a hard area to describe) for months. I don't feel itchy and the swollen areas are not warm. My thyroid does not feel enlarged or bulging or the left side when she checked it. She took a culture of the left tonsil- negative for strep. I basically have to wait a week and see how I feel.
Today I feel worse.
I'm nervous bc I know disorders and cancers can happen to anyone, regardless if they are healthy or not.
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, tangirl1804!
It's been a long time since the last post.
I'm very interested how was your health issue resolved.
Do you still have swollen lymph node?

It's very possible that an ear infection (ear pain is the first common symptom) was the reason of swollen lymph nodes.
|

replied May 11th, 2009
left side swollen lymph nodes, headaches, low fevers, tired
i am a 42 year old female and have had this for apprx 3 months i have been on two different antibiodics nothing has worked. i went and had all my teeth checked to see if that was an isssue and 402.00 later and nothing all is fine. my doctor has order a c.t. scan and abdominal and pelvic ultrasound. i asked if this was an infection and she said no for the two types of antibiodics i was on would of cleared it and now the lymph nodes are getting bigger and i am extremely tired and headaches are far more. what is so strange is that the lymph nodes and headaches are all on the left side!!!anyone have any idea what this might be????????????? i am very nervous this is a type of cancer, i just lost my father jan29, 2009 from cancer and it was terrible to watch him die ...trying to stay positive in canada...
|

replied September 15th, 2009
swollen lymph nodes left side of body
Does anyone have any updates from their posts??? I have a lot of your same symptons- Left side of body, lymph nodes swollen from neck down to groin - frequent headaches, anemic, no fevers...Please if anyone has updates please share Thank you - K
|

replied September 16th, 2009
zac loves boys
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2009
I just got this swelling on the left side of my neck this morn.
this morning i wake up and i have a swollen left side of my neck.. I dont know why its there, and it is sensitive, and hurts when i swallow. it seems as if only i can see it. My nose is kind of clogged this morning, and i did cough alot through the night. I just got over ( am getting over) from a diagnosis of the flu.. ( they dont know if i had the flu or not, but my son was the only one to get swabbed and tested positive for it. so, he said me and my kids had the flu. But, that has been alsmot two weeks ago now, and i still have some nose congestion, and i did suffer a heache on the left side of my head a couple of days ago. i quit smoking about 3 months ago. i dont drink. it does hurt to swallow. please let me know what this is. thanks..
|

replied March 30th, 2010
Thyrois, swollen lymph nodes, iodine
I have Hypothyroidism also and have recently suffered from swollen and sore lymph nodes on my left side. I have severe allergies, sore eyes that keep geting puffy. My left breast aches and has developed cysts. my massage therapist said she has never seen anything like it although all my blood tests have come back clear. I've also had an ultrasound on my breast and a CT scan on my abdomen which were al good yet I still feel off. I have been doing some reading and apparently iodine can effect thyroid patients. I had been taking a mulitvitamin tablet with iodine. Iodine is apparently stored in eyes, ovaries and breast tissue. I'm hoping that this has something to do with my symptoms. I'm tired of feeling terrible and want my old life back. I'm seeing a massage therapist for lymph drainage and i'm going to a naturopath for some additional advice. I've stopped taking vitamins but its only been a few days. Does anyone anything about this?
|

replied August 26th, 2010
i have the same thing. swollen nodes below and behind left ear for months now. they're getting quite big. no change after amoxicillin use. frequent headaches and some tenderness in neck. ent doc seemed clueless about the cause of the lumps. anyone get an answer yet?
|

replied December 24th, 2011
Swollen painful lymph nodes, headaches, lethargy, infection
Have you been tested for any viral/bacterial exposures by an Infectious Disease doc or considered doing a biopsy of the affected nodes. There are more specific imaging studies for lymph nodes that could help determine if further action shold be done. Lymph node sonograms or a test called lymph node scintography would be a good test to determine where the nodes are concentrated/distributed and if there might be an area that needs further study. You haven't mentioned if you have any autoimmune disease but you do have hypothyroidism. Is there any history of AI disease in your family? Have you had any trouble with your gut or lungs...could be you have a bacterial overgrowth (especially since you were on antibiotics). Probiotics would be a good thing to consider. And the infection could also be fungal. Have you been anywhere there might have been a lot of mold or moist soil exposure? Have they done a chest xray to check if you have something going on in there? The headaches could be totally unrelated but you might also want to get your thyroid and hormone levels checked...hormone imbalances can do strange things to your immune system and sometimes causes you to be more susceptible to other infections... And lastly, consider if you have been in contact with or exposed to someone who might have had a virus..small children, partners, etc. that would cause you to think about alternative things like mumps, epstein barr, hepatitis, etc. Good luck and keep us posted.
|

replied May 26th, 2013
my mum help plz
Hi can someone please help me out.. my mum sufferes frm bells palsy on her left side of the face in december.. after taking meds ahe recovered really quickly! And her face is completely back to normal.. however for as long as i cn remember my mum used to get frequent headaches bt she kind of got used to them.. since the palsy shes been having really bad headache all the time.. i dont recall her even for a good half an hour nt having the headache.. the headache is much the same like ppl r saying they have here.. i felt behind her left ear and her lymph node is swollen so u vn cn see it.. she dsnt have truble hearing bt feels like theres water in her ear smtimes n its painful wen u press firmly on the lymph bit.. shes asked for an MRI scan n so shld be getting one soon.. im really worried abt her please cn smone help.. is this most likely cz of thr palsy, infection or tumour?
|