Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

twitching and pulsing in left knee

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
i have been having these symptoms for easily a month now...
it comes and goes...
its not so much painful as it is annoying
what i'm feeling is twitching and pulsing in what seems to be the middle of my knee.
its just the left knee and happens at any time of the day.
if i straighten my knee out it seems to stop it for a shot time
you can't see it twitching or feel it twitching from the outside
when i put pressure on the back of my knee ... it almost feels like it quits
sometimes this twitching is very noticable... other times its just slight
i'm not sure if its an orthopedic issue, possibly RLS or neurological issue? even maybe an issue with an artery that goes through or something?
all i know is that its annoying the heck out of me.

where would you suggest to start? seeing my family dr. or go straight to a orthopedic dr. ? thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Tring elevating your legs every day. You can do this in bed by scooting your bottom as close as possible to the wall and then lifting your legs up the wall. I experience twitching, too; and this helps relax both the muslces and nerves of the body. Seems neurological to me...
|

replied January 22nd, 2008
any answers?
I've been experiencing the same symptoms the past couple weeks; have you visited a doctor yet barnprincess74? Have your symptoms disappeared? Any advice??
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2008
Me also?
I have had spasms in my left leg ever since knee op. really bad sometimes, and quite bothersom, If you find out what could be causing please let me know. Thanks
|

User Profile
replied March 14th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Benign Muscle twitching syndrome can be made worse by stress and over-exercise to the muscles of the knee. If the knee twitching affects your life to an extreme, prescription and over-the-counter medicationss are available for treating cramps.
Vitamin D and magnesium diet and soda water (contains quinine) are examples of simple treatments that some people have found effective. I take a magnesium supplement before sleeping...

If none of these help, you can ask for an EMG or neurological exam from a neurologist.
|

replied February 1st, 2010
info
it could be myoclonus, read about it
|

replied November 1st, 2010
Barn princess have had any problems recently. I'm experiencing similiar spytoms on my left as well. Thanks Jon
|

replied March 24th, 2011
My left knee has been twitching, too. Really weird feeling but more than likely has something to do with the fact that my left knee has been operated on 4 times in the past year. It's twitching on the inside where a lot of reconstruction was done. Kinda worried... (the first and fourth surgeries were open-knee and the other two were scopes). I eat plenty of bananas it seems... Any other ideas??
|

replied September 23rd, 2011
I have the same symptoms as well since last year. It is not painful, but just annoying. I got an ultrasound test but the doctor said I have just some liquid in the back of my left knee. I read about the myoclonus..but the doctor never mentioned about it!!!
|

replied October 17th, 2011
I felt the twitch also, but I first started feeling it in the right groin area. I've noticed muscle twitches in the arms as well. The feeling I'm getting in the groin and knee are more like a gurgling sensation.
|

replied August 28th, 2012
Experiencing the same twitch in the same left knee as well...
I am having the exact same symptoms for the past few days now and I am not sure if it is the stress or the fact that I have also been working out a lot lately. And I for almost a month or more I have had this cramping/stabbing/ticklish pain from deep within my belly.... I wonder if it is a similar thing to this whole "group of muscle spasms". Now reading the other comments I am even more concerned than I was previously.... Great... Sad
|

replied February 9th, 2013
Same symptoms
I have the same problem in my right knee i had a surgery on it 2 months ago.
And i started getting the stabbing/cramping feeling in my stomach about a day ago... Im a bit concerned too.
|

User Profile
replied August 6th, 2013
I started having this twitching/pulsating in my left knee a few days ago. It starts suddenly and automatically stops within seconds or minutes. It feels like a glob of jello bouncing around underneath the skin. Rubbing my knee doesn't seem to help. I would've expected something like this to happen in my right knee, since I tore the ACL 30-some years ago, tore the meniscus and now have arthritis in it. But, I have structural defects in my lumbar spine resulting in sciatica on the left side, so I wonder if the twitching might be related. I don't think I've engaged in any more activity to cause it, but rather I'm probably doing too much sitting and not getting enough sleep at night. It was twitching last night, so I took a pill for restless leg syndrome, which I also get and seems to be aggravated by lack of exercise and rest.
|

replied February 4th, 2014
me two and im only 13 what can I do to make it stop I fell on it 2 yrs ago hiking and it kills its there for a few mi s thn gone the next help please
|
Quick Reply