Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Small cell lung cancer spread to liver

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
This is a first for me.. so it would make me more comfortable to introduce myself. wave
My name is Mary. I'm 23 years old, and I have a 4 year old son named Zachary. I am originally from Memphis, TN. but my husband (Patrick) is in the army, and we are currently stationed at Ft. Lewis, Washington.

A little over a month ago, my father (Jimmy-58yrs old) was admitted to the hospital with what we thought was a perforated bowel. It turned out that he has a mass in his colon. (which turned out to be benign) but when performing the CAT scan, they found several masses on his liver (so many that they are unable to count) and 2 masses in his right lung. They are malignant. We were told that the cancer started in his lung, and that it is small cell. The doctors scanned him from head to toe, and said it has not spread beyond those 2 organs. In the past month, he has gone from being a loud, vibrant, spirited man, to a zombie.
He has lost a lot of weight.. He was usually around 250lbs, and he is now at 190. He doesn't eat solid food, he only drinks Boost shakes, when he is forced. He has to wear diapers, because he has lost control of his bodily functions. He sleeps all the time. He doesn't talk much, and what he does say doesn't make sense. He gets confused about who people are by name.. (didn't remember my step-brother who has been in our lives for 10 yrs. and didn't remember my husband who has been around for 2 years) He is starting to jaundice now, and is being combative with my step-mom when she tries to give him his medicine. He just went through 3 days of chemo, on the 12th, 13th, and 14th, and is now at home.
His doctors have not given us many answers, and they seem to be dragging their feet on trying to help him. I last saw him a month ago and as I said earlier, I live in Washington, so traveling to him is difficult.. I would like to know how long we have with him, and at what time should I go to be with him. Also, are there are any recommendations on how we can get him to eat. I am a realist, and I know what is coming. I would just like to be able to understand what is going on, and what the body's process is, in a situation such as this.
Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Angelmaria
|

User Profile
replied December 31st, 2007
Bittersweet Christmas
My father passed away on December 26th, 2007 at 9:42am.. one week after I posted this.
He was admitted to the hospital a few days after i posted the original bulletin, so that he could be put on antibiotics.. and he never made it back home. The morning of the 26th, his temperature spiked to 107.2 F and he went into a coma, and passed away about 30 minutes later.
For all of you out there who have cancer, I am praying for you..I'm praying that we find a cure soon. For any of you searching for answers from doctors, keep pressuring and asking.. a life is at stake. I'm sorry to those of you who have lost someone.. I spent the last week watching my father die, and I lost my mom only 6 months ago due to asthma. Please be strong. keep fighting.
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, Daddysgirl23!
I'm very sorry for your loss.
Take my deepest condolence for your mum and dad.
I'll have you in my prayers to find a way to cope with your grief.

Marija
|

User Profile
replied December 13th, 2010
We also just found out that our dad has cancer of the liver and lungs, it is small cell cancer, and he has also lost weight and is sleeping all the time, and is like s zombie!!!!!!!!! My poor daddy!!!! he is 81, so he has lived a good long life, but it is hard!!!!

Karen fergy
|

replied May 1st, 2012
lung cancer spread to liver and spine
i have never done this before my mum has been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer that has spread to the liver and spine she is not having any treatment as it too far gone. i am so close to my mum and im scared for her. she is sleeping all the time cannot hold conversations stares at us and is confused. she grabs the clothes on her bed and nighty and keeps pulling them about. she has stopped eating . i am getting married in 4 weeks and would really love her there but in my heart i know she nearly at the end. we have to see the ward doctor and nurse tomorrow about her care at home when she comes home so lets see what they say. cancer is a awful disease and i hope one day they will find a miracle cure.
|

replied June 21st, 2012
I'm so sorry to hear about the stage your father is going through now.An epidemic like cancer makes the life hard to live. Its too hard to pull ourselves forward and i can suggest you to visit someone who was able to cure many lives with his alternative method for curing cancer.
Make an appointment with him and try to get his advice and clear idea about what's happening to your father.
|

replied June 30th, 2012
I am in late stage 4 small cell lung cancer. Can you please direct me to the 'someone' you mentioned that was able to cure many. I am now on a strict alkaline diet and taking what I believe are the best supplements. Thank you in advance.
|