Medical Questions > Mental Health > Dyslexia Forum

techniques for helping husband

User Profile
My husband is dyslexic. One thing that we do to pass on information is listen to audio tapes. He takes a very "broad" minded approach to learning and likes to learn entire concepts and figure out the big picture first.

Plus, I've learned NOT to overload him with details at once and to take only thing at a time. I'm the detail queen King so I am challenged in my way of thinking, simply by trying to help him understand better.

Are there any others out there who are working on improving communication with a dyslexic partner or loved one? What do you do???
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper randomworm
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2008
Experienced User
Just don't force or reprimand the reading ... and don't make fun of his mistakes!
|

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
patienc patience patience
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2009
My Life with a Dyslextic Husband
See article written by Iris Chermesh (my daughter-in-law) on her experience of living with a Dyslexic Husband.
|

replied August 19th, 2009
from personal experience do not reprimand or critique reading speed and accuracy much. happened a lot at the start of my relationship and i pretty much would not read to her or around her for the better part of a year.

as for concept learning, i never found that to be much of an issue with my dyslexia. i like learning the concept before the details but i think that is more so i can organize the details more accurately. the biggest thing is we generally know we are slow at reading and tend to error more often, i am very self conscious about it and having someone that i care for harp on me about it is a big deal.

if the two of you take to reading the same books it can be a good experience (always had my own copy because i tend to have to spend more time covering what was read). talk about what you got out of it the next day or week whatever pace you decide to read at. things like philosophy and poetry can be great subject matters to get to know each other better and open up communication.

hope this sort of advice is what you are looking for (looks like i may be a few years late however).
|

replied April 26th, 2010
Hello!
I am Angusdaniel. I have read out your post. Nice techniques. I like it.
|

replied February 27th, 2011
I have a dyslexic adult daughter. Even though I was a special ed. teacher I did not catch this disorder until she was in High School. She is above average in intelligence and currently is married with 3 fabulous children. The issue that I continue to see in her life is her inability to recall a conversation correctly. As a young person I just thought it was her interpretation to an arguement with a sibling. She is an extremely kind girl/woman but I feel this problem has been accentuated with more responsibility in her life. I notice her ability to hear what people are actually saying to her and what she perceives them saying (100% convinced they are saying)has heightened. I have read everything I can find and am not getting any answers. I found the information printed about the brain scans and the lack of white matter to be very interesting but it does not give me any information if this is a cause of the dyslexia or another syptom of something else. Are any of you experiencing this? For years our family has just said well that is ____________ interpretation, or don't take that for face value...but now I see it is more than that. She is a very honest person and would not say these things if she did not believe it. Does anyone deal with this, or recognize these syptoms?
|