Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

PAO right hip and chronic pain

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
User Profile
My wife has chronic pain associated from what we would consider a "botched" PAO on her right hip. She has difficulty walking at times, and can not sit for any long period of time. The original surgeon has done nothing for her except give her 4 cortizone shots within a years time. Local doctors say that there is something wrong, but he disagrees, and thinks that it might be in her head.....it's not. No one will do anything to fix this, and she is in so much pain that she crys herself to sleep at night. She is now addicted to the pain meds that she is on, and the local doctors admit that they did this to her. She has numbness down to her right foot. It still grinds and pops, and there is little that will relieve the pain. Now her left hip is needing some type of surgery too. The original doctor offered experimental surgeries on the right hip, like removing screws and cutting tendons on the bursa. My wife and I are scared to death......what can we do? PLEASE HELP US!!! Trevor

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2008
Orthopedics Hip, Knee, and Shoulder Injuries Answer A3499
You wrote:

"Diagnosis that has been suggested: PAO was performed on the right hip, and the left hip is going to need surgery as well.

Current medical status: PAO performed in Spetember 2006. Chronic pain still in the right hip, and the doctor does not know what's wrong. The left hip is in the same condition, and my wife has been told that she will need to undergo some type of corrective surgery for that as well.

Current medical treatment: Methadone, oxycotin, and soma. No pysical therapy currently prescribed."

I'm sorry, but this question requires an expert opinion from an orthopedist. I am a general practitioner and am not qualified to give you a precise response.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.