Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Feel Ill When I Have a Bowel Movement (Page 1)

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Why do I feel ill when I have a bowel movement? This started about 2 weeks ago, and I feel ill, weak and tired after a bowel movement. It lasts from 1 to 4 hours. This is the newest of many symptoms. I have been undergoing many tests in the last year and half. They think I have MS but nothing shows in any of the tests. Even the spinal tap was 'inconclusive'. It is so very frustrating, and this new development is very unpleasant. Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper slaswe
|

replied January 14th, 2008
Me Too
i feel ill when i wake up and need a bowel movement and after it i feel very sick and naseous and have to go back to bed as feel so ill. still having it investigated but docs dont know so far and im getting desperate to havemy life back. what caused them to think you have MS?
|

replied January 22nd, 2008
Here's a few of the reasons
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but I am just coming through another flare. I have been down for awhile.
I am numb from my toes to my scalp in varing degrees. My legs are the worse. I have to use a cane to go out. Some days I can't use my pc because my fingers are too numb. I have lost bladder and twice bowel control. I have many sensations that aren't there, eg.. wet when I am not, blood boiling in my head among a few. I get bad muscle spasms and cramps etc. Before this hit I was working full time, very physically fit and just like the next person. Now I have had to have my bed moved downstairs, my lazyboy raised so I can get out of it. There are so many things, my life is over as I always knew it, and it is very frustrating. I have been going through tests for a year and a half and they still can't say for certain what the problem is. I am still waiting to see another neurologist. That is another story in itself.
I hope you are feeling better now. That particular symptom stopped for me, for now anyway, so it probably is all connected.
|

replied July 17th, 2014
Please look in to and study lyme disease... Also please do not take a NHS negative result as correct as the NHS testing is very new and innaccurate... your diverse syptoms suggest lyme... if you have been bitten by a tick or not I honestly believe by reading your short explination of symptoms that this could be lyme. Stage 3 lyme at that!
|

User Profile
Supporter
Feeling sick after a bowel movement can be Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Diverticular Disease, among other things. Try having a hot drink in there with you as it can relax the intestines.

I am sorry you are feeling so ill. I take it you have been tested for neuropathy?
|

I have had evoked potentials, emg, spinal tap, mri of the brain and spine and spinal tap. The only thing that shows something is the spinal tap and they say it inconclusive. There is something there but they don't know what. I am waiting on a new neurologist. My last guy who I got to see twice in a year and half was a complete idiot. I truly think he was bi polar, and even my doctor said it was a possibility. He was not happy with him either. Now I have been waiting since the end of June for a new neuro.
|

replied February 20th, 2009
Help with BM's
I get loose bowels and then I can't always make it to the bathroom. This is embarrassing and I'm always afraid it will occur at work or in public. I'm overweight and started the Atkins diet in May. Since then my stools are hard and this prevents my accidents and leakage. I lost about 18 lbs but then stopped. I'm not losing anymore so decided to quit the diet. Well, now the loose stools are back and the incontinence... which causes itching and burning. I also had uncontrollable flatulence... I couldn't walk or bend over without blasting. So embarrassing.

So I guess carbohydrates are the culprit?

So am I to stay on the Atkins for life?
|

replied August 13th, 2009
My Opinions...
I was here to research about feeling week, tired, sick after bowel movement because I get that from time to time, more often lately than before. I don't know what it is, but I hope to figure it out. Regarding the possiblity of the Gall Bladder, I had Hepatitus A when I was 19 years old and it definitely has an impact on the Bile production/removal and the Gall Bladder, intestinal functions. I became Jaundiced from excess Bile in my system, fatty, greasy foods upset my stomach with an indigestion feeling and nausea because supposedly Bile is required to digest fats and the inflamed liver was somehow interfering with normal Gall Bladder function (according to the doctor). I now wonder if after 20 years later, there is a connection with my current symptoms and whatever longer effects of my liver damage and gall bladder condition after going through Hepatitus.

Regarding the lady on Atkins with Flatulence, I am no expert, but try researching about stomach flora balance and probiotics. There is a good symbiotic bacteria we need in our intestines to keep us healthy because they help prevent invasion of unfriendly bacteria. There is a supplement you can by over the counter as most health food stores and markets called Acidophilus or similar. Look into that and see if it will help you or not.
|

replied September 13th, 2009
Feeling ill and tired after defacating
If there are no underlying medical issues, then I would say it is the food that is being eaten. When the body digests foods that it may be allergic to (wheat, corn, lactose) or that it may build up a resistance to (eating too much chicken, fermented foods, beef) it will affect the body when it is going through the elimination process. My suggestion is to see a good homeopathic doctor who can balance your digestive system. I tried this myself for 7 months and no pain, no tiredness, no cramping upon defacating. Went off his regimen and all my symptoms came back which told me it is definitely the types of food I eat and how much of the same type I may eat.
|

replied September 13th, 2009
I like the last advice left by Ladydi009. It sounds very logical and she speaks from her personal experience. I will try and apply what she mentions in regards to diet. In hindsight I too feel that there is a correlation between what I eat and how my bowel movements make me feel.

Thanks,
|

replied April 13th, 2010
sick feeling with BM
For years I sometimes would get sick when I had a bm. I found out it is because my vagas nerve is being stimulated which causes my heart rate to plumment and that is why I feel so sick. Sometimes my heart rate does not return to normal after the BM so the sick feeling lasts a while. The last time this happened to me I could not stand up. My son called paramedics who took me to the hospital. My heart rate was very low and stayed that way for a while at the hospital. I am taking a beta-blocker for it and a laxative (so that I don''t bear down when I poop).
|
Users who thank itsnotinyourhead for this post: missantman 

replied September 1st, 2011
It'snotinyourhead
This is very interesting and I have been thinking my bowel movements have something to do with my blood pressure dropping and making me faint. How was this diagnosed for you?
|

replied July 18th, 2010
Hallo!
I also felt sick after having a moving bowel, no matter how the consistency of my poo was I always felt sick afterwards, my rectum was hurting, I felt slack, infirm, pain in my body and a feeling that I have go to toilet for another moving bowel, I felt generally sick, this condition last for about 3-4 hours for then gradually decrease.
I have been diagnosed with crohns diseases for about one year ago and I always thought that this have something to do with my problems, I tryed several different types of medicine for my disease such as Azathioprine and cortisone but the problem stilled remain, but now I have try a new medicine named HUMIRA, and all the symptoms are gone and i´m feeling well.

Good luck
|

replied August 26th, 2010
I also feel very tired all over for hours after a bowel movement. Not after every BM, but after a lot of them. I have to lie down. Sitting down is not enough of a rest, and a nap is preferable to just lying down. The whole-body fatigue is joined by an ache in my legs. This tiredness can last for a few hours or all day, with the potential for lesser but lingering tiredness the next day.

I don't need to strain when I have a BM, so it might not be the vagus nerve being stimulated.

I have comments about two potential ways to lessen the fatigue.

(1) I have been prescribed a non-addictive muscle relaxant to take an hour before bedtime called cyclobenzaprine, and it helps a lot, but not completely. My doctor said that if a constricted nerve in the lower back is an issue, then that can cause leg aching and an overall tired feeling. I have had a minor lower back injury, so this can make some sense.

(2) There is another thread on ehealthforum that covers fatigue after bowel movements and in it one person said this fatigue no longer occurred after being treated for a D. fragilis infection. The thread is called 'Fatigue After Bowel Movement.' It turns out that D. fragilis is a parasite that can be in the large intestine of people and some other animals. According to various Internet medical sites, this parasite might cause no symptoms or can cause gastric pain and other symptoms, including fatigue. For a while, the medical community thought that D. fragilis was a benign, inconsequential parasite with no ill health effects. However, it apparently does have ill effects for some. There are effective treatments for this parasite. A bowel parasite would seem to make sense for symptoms after a bowel movement, would it not? I'm glad someone found complete relief, and I'm also glad we have another avenue to pursue.
|

replied August 30th, 2010
feel ill when i have boweal movement
I am 24 years old.When i have bowel movement, i allways feel tired, sick, and need to rest. I was tested for chromes and was told i didnt have it? This problem started when i got internal bleeding caused by surgery!! Any advise please.
|

replied September 10th, 2011
Here is a question in hopes of identifying a potential cause of sleepiness for several hours after bowel movements.

Has anyone with these symptoms had a fairly high fever for several days during the year when these symptoms first started? Maybe it seemed like a flu that wouldn't leave easily. You might have to think back a few years if this has been going on a while.

Please post here noting if you had such a fever!

Most cases of W Nile virus that show symptoms don't end with serious encephalitis, but instead just cause a nasty flu-like illness with a fever and gastro discomfort, sometimes for a week or more. I had the flu like illness happen to me some years ago. I had body aches and pains and a stiff neck and a high fever that was difficult to keep down.

Anyone else?
|

replied September 25th, 2011
i thought i was the only one suffering with this. i used to have it more frequent until i modified my diet. but have been getting it again recently and i noticed that it occurred after eating popcorn or corn the day before. other things i have eliminated from my diet in the past were all diary products except greek yogurt, as well as soda, rice, pasta, and chinese food. but since i haven't had it recently except when i had corn or popcorn , i would try eliminating that first. it's seems to be an irritation of the intenstines. i also had a history of hard bowel movements many years ago but that disappeared once i changed "cooks". why it occurs after the waste is removed, is something for a medical dr to figure out. i still am looking for a remedy for the illness.
|

replied June 3rd, 2012
I get sick before a BM and feel my bowel's are irratated after
I have had those symptom's for quiet a while in years is has gotten worse lately as I am now 60 tears old .I used to drink alcohol as in beer and never had a problem I quit that 30 years ago it seems to have some thing to do it,When I do not have this problem then it usually hard for me to go as in constipation
|

replied October 22nd, 2012
what type of doctor do you see with these symptoms?
Goodness! I thought I was the only one out here with these symptoms. I could just cry! My doc told me today, he could not help me. I get a CT Scan of the abdomen on friday. I hate that I have these symtoms with bowels movements. I have noticed it is after eating foods like; wheat, corn etc... I will definitely try to stay away from those types of foods. I see an allergist on wednesday & hopefully I will know more. I also have an adrenal insufficiency problem....and dehydrate all the time! I am humiliated at how many times I have been in the ER. I was hoping this would be an easier fix.

Silently suffering.
|

replied March 13th, 2013
No diagnosis other than Diverticulosis and Candida Albicans
I get an ill feeling all over while "stool" is moving through my intestines. I get chills and a foggy, almost headachy feeling...an intense lethary....sometimes I lay down when this occurs it's so bad. It happened yesterday and I laid down and "passed out" for 2 hrs....later when I got up, I did "go"....and it made me nauseous....after an episode and eliminating, sometimes I still feel the need to lay down. I have had constipation throughout my life. I have been told that I have several diverticulosis pockets after having had a colonoscopy......I can help my bowels by drinking more water, taking organic psyllium fiber in juice prior to bed and taking probiotics.....I do not have a gall bladder and usually take digestive enzymes or ox bile to help digest food. If I back off from any of that for 48 hrs, then I immediately start having gas, bloating and produce only pill or marble type stools...sometimes these "pills/marbles" will come out all hooked together but individually you can see them. I have been told before that I have a candida albicans problem...even was told after a stool sample test, that I had athlete's foot fungus in my gut. I feel like my bowels are controlling my life. I turned 61 recently.
|

replied March 16th, 2013
Diverticulitis & Bowel Health
I have been having the extreme nausea and pain after BMs on and off for a couple years. Recently dx with diverticulitis & on antibiotics healing. I'm really confused at what to eat, when, etc. I've heard recently that fiber is NOT the cure all in our diets & that the high fiber thing for good heallth is a myth. I read that hard stools & straining for years are the reason we get diverticulitis..not bc of low fiber. I'm considering a homiopathic doctor to help me with digestive issues. Thinking of starting probiotics too. I think we need to think outside the box, and not fall into the cycle of having bowel problems, going to GI & being probed & maybe over tested. Seeing the GI is good to rule out cancer..but from my experience they don't want to think of other reasons for GI problems, over do testing sometimes, and don't want to believe we have food sensitiviities. Keep an open mind and maybe see an allergist. Smile I guess the Western Diet can cause us problems.
|

replied May 5th, 2013
I think Diabetes may be the culprit. Sometimes I get sick before I need to poop.
I get all flush, lightheaded and nauseated. Then I feel the poop moving down. But
Nothing till ?? Morning probably it is 9:14 pm and I feel nausea.
I feel horrible!!!!!
|
12 >>
Quick Reply