Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spleen Forum

sick for a year after mono

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
Hey all.. I am a 19 year old girl from Iceland and I was diagnosed with mono in October last year. The first months were really tough and I had spleen problems and was very sick.. I then got over that, but what followed was a constant feeling of being tired, and always half-sick..

I have now been sick almost for over a year, with few and brief periods of feeling healthy and energetic.

As I type, I am at home with a fever and sore throat, fatigue and all that fun stuff that have been bugging me daily for over a year.

Is this normal??? Has this happened to other people with mono? What should I do? I haven't been to a doctor in a while, mainly because they always just say that it's coincidental that I am sick so much and has nothing to do with the mono.

I have tried everything to try to not get sick, I'm eating very healthy, exercising when I'm not too sick to do it, I take vitamins and I get a good night's sleep every night, I don't party nor do I wear myself down. I drink loads of tea to prevent my throat from feeling too sore, etc etc etc.

Is this something that happens to people who get mono??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 16th, 2008
mono
Hope you are doing better.
Mono has relapses. Another friend who had it says she never felt the same after, either.
You are doing the right thing with rest, vitamins, the proper food and water.
I guess we can be greatful it isn't cancer, etc.
It is frustrating and I remember it took forever it seemed at 16 to not feel wiped out. Nasty stuff.
A doctor told me I had the worse case he'd ever seen and that my spleen was hugely swollen. What's that?
Guess having mono makes us realise how greatful we must be for the health that we do have.
Hope you are much better now...
|

replied August 5th, 2009
I am 23 and just got diagnosed with mono, but I've had it for over a year now. When I first got it the doctor just thought I had strep and gave me antibiotics which did nothing. The severe illness went away, but since then for a year now I have gotten low grade fevers almost monthly. I'll get really tired and always have a sick and fatigued feeling. The doctor told me just to rest and drink a lot of fluids, but couldn't tell me when I'll get better. So you are not alone. : )
|

replied September 23rd, 2010
Recurrent Mono
Did you ever recover? My daughter has had mono off and on for almost a year and we're going in for more blood testing.
|

replied March 6th, 2014
Hey, I know it's been a long time and I hope everyone on here is feeling better.
I'm in the same boat unfortunately, though I was only diagnosed with mono three months ago. Ever since then I seem to be sick every other week with something slightly different every time. This bout of sickness has brought on these horrible hacking coughs that come out so hard it makes me almost gag and want to vomit.
Also, has anyone else had a problem with getting stomach aches? It's not spleen pain I don't think because I'm past the six week point, but for a week and a half or so I got this severe stomach cramping that I couldn't explain. I wasn't eating anything weird and I tried giving up acidic things like coffee but I still got them. They would last anywhere from 2-4 hours and were sometimes so crippling that I had to spend the time on my knees with my forehead on the floor. Sad
I still don't understand it and I'm worried they might start up again.

All I want to do is get back to the gym, back to work, and love life again!! Eff mono.
|