Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Passing gas in public

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
User Profile
well i have a question that refers to the digestive tract it also refers to doctor visits it retains to to passing gas. when i am in a doctors office i somtimes feel gas pressure when the doctor /nurse is checking me out my last visit was a female doctor. she was checking my genitals out and doing the lower stomache rub thing they do somtimes they apply pressure the causes me to have to pass gas one female doctor told me not to hold in gas she said if you were my pateint she told you should feel free to pass gas if you have to but i read a story online where some women claim they dont pass gas and they say they never do and if there boyfreind ever passes gas they will break up with him i say those women are horrable people people i would not want to be around women say they dont because they are to busy holding it in im afraid to pass gas around while the doctor is checking me out im afraid he or she wil ltake it offensively i wouldnt pass gas offensively sorry for the spelling

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2008
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A3490
It is usually considered offensive to pass gas intentionally in public. Whether intentional or not, however, passing gas can cause embarrassment. You can always communicate your apologies in advance when you are visiting a doctor in the case that you pass gas during an examination. A medical professional should understand and pardon a need to release yourself.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.