Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

Sore/tender Lump In Armpit

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
I am a seventeen year-old female and I just have a question.....it started about a week ago. I noticed that there was a really sore spot in my right armpit, closer to my breast. If I pushed a little I could feel somewhat of a lump, but I didn't think anything of it. It would hurt to put my arm down.
It went away, but just yesterday I noticed the same thing thing in my left armpit....it's really sore and tender. I don't really think it's anything, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if someone had any ideas about if it's something serious or not. I would really love to not have breast cancer or something....
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 19th, 2007
Experienced User
lymph node
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2008
Most breast lumps aren't cancerous. Yet the most common sign of breast cancer for both men and women is a lump or thickening in the breast. Often, the lump is painless. Other potential signs of breast cancer include:

A spontaneous clear or bloody discharge from your nipple, often associated with a breast lump
Retraction or indentation of your nipple
A change in the size or contours of your breast
Any flattening or indentation of the skin over your breast
Redness or pitting of the skin over your breast, like the skin of an orange
A number of conditions other than breast cancer can cause your breasts to change in size or feel. Breast tissue changes naturally during pregnancy and or your menstrual cycle. Other possible causes of breast changes include fibrocystic changes, cysts, fibroadenomas, infection or injury.

If you find a lump or other change in your breast — even if a recent mammogram was normal — see your doctor for evaluation. You may want to wait through one menstrual cycle before seeing your doctor. If the change hasn't gone away after a month, have it evaluated as soon as possible!
|