Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Cloning and Stem Cell Debate Forum

Cloning Your Offspring

For all the parents or wannabe-parents on the board, this one's for you.

Most parents worry that their little Junior or Princess could one day end up being fatally injured or ill. If you had the funds and the means, would you have bits of your child's DNA frozen and stored in the event your child passed away so you could clone them? If so, would you actually follow through with the process? If you knew the child would be an exact replica of the deceased one, would you clone Snookums?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I wouldn't, because the resulting child would be a completely different person, just as twins are their own people.

If I could afford to keep a spare embryo or two frozen in case something happened to my child and it was after I was able to conceive naturally, I'd do that.
|

Extremely eHealthy
However, I'd clone my favorite pet so that I could have another one when he passes. Smile
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
i completly agree futureshock---i think that the memory of them is enough and that no clone no matter how alike he is would be able to take the place of the origional

pets however --maybe.
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
IMO, cloning is only genetic deep. Meaning if you have two identical children, they will act differently due to how they are raised. Identical twins have the same DNA and most are definitely two different people.

Pets, I know it may sound cold, but I'd just get another one. If I was really attached, I'd get the same type, and maybe even look for the same markings.
|

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2008
Community Volunteer
futureshock wrote:
However, I'd clone my favorite pet so that I could have another one when he passes. Smile

I was gonna say that!!!! Shocked
|

replied February 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Great minds think alike! Smile
|

Extremely eHealthy
we watched a video about cloning at my school and one woman said she has tried atrifical insemination to get pregnant and failed and said if she could find a place to clone an egg of hers to have a child she would because that child would be hers fuly and if it was by insemination the baby would not be like her at all and she couldnt share traditions and what not which i feel is completely wrong..by cloning an egg to have a child, that baby is going to look pretty much 99.9% like you with a slight difference, it doesnt seem right, her insemination theory is wrong because its a donor sperm and your own egg so she would still be able to share traditions and what not..

ppl clone their dead pets..i dont agree with this either, thats like saying, when my grandparents die, lets clone them so they can still be around..that defeats the whole death stage we go through in life, its natures way of saying your time has come and now you will grieve and move on. How would you explain that to a child, they would be pretty confuses wondering why they jsut burried fluffy yesterday, but now a month later heres fluffy again lol
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
futureshock wrote:
Great minds think alike! Smile

Is that gorgeous pic of the dog you have under your screen name your dog?
|

replied May 15th, 2008
I have a little minion of my own a whole whopping 15 months old. I was given and took the option of donating the chord blood for stem cell research and to be put in with other donated things so when it is needed it can be used. Sure I could have put it on ice in the off chance something happens but I'd rather donate (and more people donate to the cause)

But would I close my little bundle of d00m ~ no. It'd be all like oh man what was that stupid movie about that but anyway.........

The memory would be enough I think in theory it sounds all great but the reality is could you really look at that clone and not have the memory of the first child's death in your mind.

For reference about 9 years ago my god-son died of cancer. He was 7 months old. It was horrible to watch I was 19 years old and it was really the first person up front I watched die. I always thought to myself "if I ever have a boy I want to name him Kieren in honor of my god-son. Well I got knocked up and sure enough the ultrasound told me "i got the good i'm a boy!!!!" so in names that was one of the top, but in the end after saying the name 20 or so times in a row I didn't know if I could hear the name over and over and not remember those last moments. Now take that and apply it personally I just could not do it.
|

replied March 19th, 2010
Cloning offspring

Science vs. Religion

Again here in this topic, is the mixing of the seed as seen in fertility drugs used that produce several babies at once. While an animal is able to handle multiple births, a Human Being is not always to handle multiple births. The media only presents the successes, glorifying fertility clinics without presenting the risk to a womans' life whether physiologically, psychologically, emotional, behavioral and/or physical. How many cause complications that go unnoticed on the emotional and behavioral bell curve of normality, how many cause injury and death to the women and hte frustration from within the men. How many become abusive towards their partners for not being able to carry a baby having tried.

The acutal act of "cloning offspring," the real question is "why would a person want to?"

Clonging Offspring in the form of using look alikes is dangerous to the structure of society and family. One person used the term "insurgents" and that is what cloning does, even if it is a derviative of the orginal, the derivatives alter the normal structure and function of family due to upsetting the paranormal spiritual relations that guide the unseen bonds between women and child, father and son and so forth from within a family affecting their placement within society, including normal behaviors that suddenly become problematic family relations.

Gina Louise Sciarrino
|

replied March 19th, 2010
Cloning offspring

Science vs. Religion

Again here in this topic, is the mixing of the seed as seen in fertility drugs used that produce several babies at once. While an animal is able to handle multiple births, a Human Being is not always to handle multiple births. The media only presents the successes, glorifying fertility clinics without presenting the risk to a womans' life whether physiologically, psychologically, emotional, behavioral and/or physical. How many cause complications that go unnoticed on the emotional and behavioral bell curve of normality, how many cause injury and death to the women and hte frustration from within the men. How many become abusive towards their partners for not being able to carry a baby having tried.

The acutal act of "cloning offspring," the real question is "why would a person want to?"

Clonging Offspring in the form of using look alikes is dangerous to the structure of society and family. One person used the term "insurgents" and that is what cloning does, even if it is a derviative of the orginal, the derivatives alter the normal structure and function of family due to upsetting the paranormal spiritual relations that guide the unseen bonds between women and child, father and son and so forth from within a family affecting their placement within society, including normal behaviors that suddenly become problematic family relations.

Gina Louise Sciarrino
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2010
Experienced User
No, I would never clone any children I have if they die. I wouldn't be able to cope with it. At the end of the day, despite being physically and genetically identical to the original child, it would not be THEM, they would be an entirely different person, with their own personality. Having a child round the house who looked exactly like the previous one, but wasn't actually THEM would just cause me extreme upset and distress.

Death is something we have to deal with, it is a part of life, and to suggest that we could create an identical human being as a "replacement" to one which has died in my opinion almost devalues life. I mean what is the worth of a human being if you subconsciously think "well at least if he/she dies I can just create another"?

Thirdly what would you tell your clone child? Would you allow them to live a blissful lie in ignorance, or would you tell them about the circumstances of their existance? How would that make them feel? What would they think of both you, and themself as a human being? "I was only created to be a replacement for somebody else", "I wasn't born to be myself", "I'm not meant to exist", "the only reason I'm here is because the person they wanted died" are all very painful thoughts and I would not wish them on a child or any other person. How would it feel to find out that the only reason you exist is because your parents wanted an exact copy of your brother or sister? I'm guessing it would make you feel worthless and second-best.
|

replied June 6th, 2012
hi
i am fall in some problem.I cant wear swimsuits because of my fat.i don't want to do diet.what can i do?
|

replied January 19th, 2013
i don't think it's even possible yet to clone your own offspring! where not even close to it
|
Quick Reply