Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Baby Noises While Inside of the Belly?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Is it possible to hear a baby while still in the womb?
Yes
No
I'm unsure
27%  27%  [ 3 ]
63%  63%  [ 7 ]
9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11
Ok, I know this sounds strange, but I am now 8 months and ever since I've been 6 months I've been able to hear things every once and a while from my belly. And no not normal things like a growling stomach or anything like that. i'm talkin full blown unnatural noises. I say unatural because I asked my doctor about it and he said thats not "normal" so to speak. So an example, Though I'm 8 months, my baby still likes to lay across my stomach, (not that he fits) so alot of the time you see a head on one side and little nobs for feet on the other. So one day I'm playing with him like I always do, making playful grabbing motions at his feet, along with pushing on them, and all of a sudden I must have pushed too hard because his feet fly back into my stomach so fast that his head bounces out the other side. At the same exact time I hear almost like a puppy yelp (like if you were to step on a puppys paw) real small, and muffled. Now mind you we're selling the house, so their is NOTHING in it but me and my bed, and no ones there. I have also heard the same noise when the baby would have his whole body squished under my chest, and I would bend down too far not knowing he was there. Same thing when I belly nudged the corner why rushing past to the bathroom. Not only have I heard that noise, but would be laying still (again several times) and when the baby moves hear a faint (work with me because its quite hard to describe) bone cracking noise. Not the loud popping, but the sound you get when you haven't moved for a while kind of like a little "tink". I really want to know If anyone else has had these experiences, or anything like them, and what you think of mine. Thanks for being interested!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 14th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Your baby cannot make noises inside you. There is no air. Air is required for your voice box to work. Which isn't possible in an infant anyway.
|

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: Baby Noises While Inside of the Belly?
babygurl02 wrote:
Ok, I know this sounds strange, but I am now 8 months and ever since I've been 6 months I've been able to hear things every once and a while from my belly. And no not normal things like a growling stomach or anything like that. i'm talkin full blown unnatural noises. I say unatural because I asked my doctor about it and he said thats not "normal" so to speak. So an example, Though I'm 8 months, my baby still likes to lay across my stomach, (not that he fits) so alot of the time you see a head on one side and little nobs for feet on the other. So one day I'm playing with him like I always do, making playful grabbing motions at his feet, along with pushing on them, and all of a sudden I must have pushed too hard because his feet fly back into my stomach so fast that his head bounces out the other side. At the same exact time I hear almost like a puppy yelp (like if you were to step on a puppys paw) real small, and muffled. Now mind you we're selling the house, so their is NOTHING in it but me and my bed, and no ones there. I have also heard the same noise when the baby would have his whole body squished under my chest, and I would bend down too far not knowing he was there. Same thing when I belly nudged the corner why rushing past to the bathroom. Not only have I heard that noise, but would be laying still (again several times) and when the baby moves hear a faint (work with me because its quite hard to describe) bone cracking noise. Not the loud popping, but the sound you get when you haven't moved for a while kind of like a little "tink". I really want to know If anyone else has had these experiences, or anything like them, and what you think of mine. Thanks for being interested!

I don't think its possible that a baby can make noises because of the lack of air in the womb but I won't say I havent heard a similar sound come from a friends pregnant belly because I have and I swore it had to have been the baby who made that peticular noise. There was nothing around to pin it to at the time it happened! So weird....
|

replied December 24th, 2007
lol.... see its nice to know i'm not the only one hearing things. Thank you for your imput.
|

Especially eHealthy
no
your baby cant make any noises at all
|

Thank You
Remember to be open minded, since we are not all doctors nor do we know everything about the beby while it is in the womb. More than one experience sounds good to me! Smile Still, I apprecitate your opinion. Smile
|

Especially eHealthy
since there is no air and the baby cannot breathe through the lungs and take in oxygen it is SCIENTIFCALLY proven that there is NO fetal noise that can be made
its impossible
if your hearing noises its gas or something maybe your hungry

no im not a doctor. but i can assure you that theres no way in heck that your hearing noise comming from that baby. its impossible
|

Especially eHealthy
here if you still dont believe me

this came from websites
The baby's lungs are not fully developed. While in the womb the fetus is supplied with oxygen and nutrients through the umbilical cord. Starting in the third trimester, the fetus does make the motions of breathing, and in this way moves amniotic fluid in and out of her lungs. This activity can sometimes be seen on ultrasound examination. The flow of amniotic fluid into the lungs is believed to be important in fetal lung development.

Before birth, these breathing movements have nothing to do with getting oxygen. The fetus gets her oxygen from her mother, through the placenta and umbilical cord. True breathing begins just after birth, as the fetus turns into a baby and takes her first breath of air.

The baby can not make the sounds while still in the womb
|

Especially eHealthy
uh..

try running a tub full of water.. then dunk ur head ALL the way in and start making baby noises. ask somebody to stand in the bathroom and see if they can hear you.

and i dont mean screaming.. little tiny newborn baby noises.

OH

also remember to REMOVE your head from the bath water.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I dont think the sounds were made vocally but quick movement might case some things to create sound inside of you that are similar.

Suzy, I am sure she believes you but she still heard SOMETHING. She never specifically said it was a vocal noise, just that it was a sound
|

replied December 21st, 2008
To everyone here saying it's impossible, no it isn't. First off, I'm not a doctor. My wife is currently 7 months pregnant and pointed me toward this topic because I've heard, albeit rarely, what sounded like extremely brief little noises when I've pressed my ear to her belly. I always hear regular swishing noises which I assume is from him moving around, but I have heard other, less natural sounds that are certainly not normal bodily sounds. That being said, air is not necessary for sound. As a certified diver, one of the first things I was taught is that the thicker the medium, in fact the better sound translates through that medium. A boat could be approaching while I'm underwater and the noise would be so overwhelming that I couldn't tell the direction until it's directly overhead. The only problem is that sound normally doesn't translate from a liquid to gas medium, so it would seem that there might be a difference between my ear being pressed to the baby and just hearing general noises from the belly. Far be it from me to say you can't hear an unborn child when I've heard mine, though, regardless of specifics. That being said, all of the "no sound with no air" argument fail.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Because air is required to pass over the vocal cords in order to make sound, a fetus cannot make sounds while in utero. Now, as for going underwater and making the baby noises, do you not take a breath first and then dunk your head under? You do. A fetus is not exposed to air, has not been exposed to air, therefore, no air can pass over the vocal cords in order to make sounds. The fetus can make faces and pout, yes, but it cannot cry.
|

Air is required to pass over the vocal chords in order to make VOCAL sound, much as we speak everyday. Air is far from required to make noises, however, and we far from understand every subtle nuance of pregnancy and child development. Furthermore, it's impossible for us to really test what effect passing a liquid over our vocal chords because to reach that point after birth requires drowning, at which point it becomes impossible. We have no idea what effect passing amniotic fluid over vocal chords may do. You're right about whole having air when producing noise as adults underwater, but that doesn't disprove an unborn child making noises because their vocal chords have not yet been tainted, in a manner of speaking, by air. You're comparing adults to a fetus, which is really apples and oranges. Prove that vocal chords do nothing when a liquid is passed over them and you might have a case. The problem is that all that is required for sound is vibration, so even if the vocal chords simply didn't respond AS WELL to a liquid medium, producing vibrations may still be possible. I think that noise within the womb is perfectly possible, and it's going to take a lot more than all this ridiculous talk of air=sound to show anything otherwise. The case is stronger for than against, despite the fact that we don't understand HOW.
|

replied January 26th, 2014
Baby cry before born...
People that are saying that this is impossible are crazy, with my second child I had to have a repeat c section. During the c section, while cut open but before the doctor actually removed my son from my womb...mind you he was still in the sac and everything...everyone, including my husband and I heard him cry before he even had his head out in this world! It was muffled, and very strange...but I'm not joking. Even the doctor was surprised by it. I think there is a lot that goes on inside the womb in those 40 weeks that we will never understand.
|