Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

my 5 Year Old Daughter ~ Kidney Infection, high fever

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
Ok I'll try to make this short. My Daughter ho just turned 5 has been having recurring UTI's for the past year. She has had about 8-9 UTI. On Novemeber 26th she was admitted to the childrens hospital because her latest Uti turned into a kidney infection. The symtoms she presented were high fever ( it jumped from 99.3 to 105.2 in 35 min) and shaking chills, along with stomach pain. No other symtoms. At the hospital she was put on Iv antibiotics, given a renal ultrasound and a vcug. No abnormalities were found. They diagniosed her with overactive bladder and said that was root of all her UTI's . They put her on Ditropan for the over active bladder, and Chepalaxin for the infection. 10 days of regular dose of the antibiotic then a maintenance dose for a few months. We just started the maintance doses on December 10th. On the 12th she started with the high fevers again, they persisted about every3 hours, I was alternating tylenol and motrin. The next day same thing not quite as often. I called the doc. and he suggested it was probably a virus since she has been on antibiotic's. This is day # 3 and she is still having fevers going up to 104.4 with chills and shaking, but no other symotoms. I am very concerned that it is not a virus and the infection in her kidney's is either not cleared up completely or a new infection. Please help any advice would be appreciated I am really starting to worry.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 15th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I am sorry to hear about your daughter's health.
Is she any better today?

Does she have blood in her urine?
|

replied December 15th, 2007
a little better only 1 fever all day, no blood in her urine. Hope fully it does not get worse.

out of all of her UTI's she has never had visable blood in her urine. Twice the uranalysis came back that was blood present, but the naked eye could not see any.
|

replied December 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Glad to hear she is doing better.
Please keep me posted.

If you have any questions feel free and ask I'll do my best to answer them. I have some problems with my kidneys/ urology. I've been dealing with these problems most of my life and then more piled on as the years went by.
I know how scary it is when your child your is sick.
I hope everything will be OK for her.
Best Wishes Smile
|

replied July 4th, 2009
My daughter has the same thing shes been like this for about a month first she started with a urine infection. she had fever for about 8 days. i took her to childrens they said she had a kidney infection she had to take antibiotics for 14 days finished them, two days later her fever started again ,went to the emergency room they did a urine test they said she had a urine infection and blood in her urine. they did a reno ultrasound they said everything looks normal except for a dromendary hump on her left kidney. i have to take her back in 4 weeks to have it checked again. they gave her antibiotics for seven days and now shes scheduled for a vcug its so weared that they dont know whats wrong what could it be?
|

replied July 13th, 2009
I just had to reply to this
I have never replied to a forum like this, but I thought I would tell you about my five year old daughter. We have been fighting recurrent bladder infections for about 2 years. Each time she has one it is difficult to diagnose because she does not complain about pain urinating or any other sympton. I have gotten good at figuring it out because she starts having accidents and gets a little cranky and cries easily. She also give out a certain odor which I have learned to identify as a bladder infection. We did all the tests - ultrasound, dye injection into her kidneys and it all checked out okay.
About 3 weeks ago she got another bladder infection. She had been off a 3 month maintenance dose about a month when she got this. After 10 days on antiobiotics, I took her into doctor and her urine was fine. Two days later, she started acting tired, but it was holiday weekend and we were busy and traveling. She started a fever a week ago, but was eating and drinking and no other symptoms, so doctor told me to jsut watch it (I had ruled out strep throat at a minute clinic). Tonight, on teh 8th day of a fever, I noticed that the fever was gradually increasing and took her into urgent care. They told me she had a kidney infection. They said that she did not exhibit the normal signs of a kidney infection (throwing up, diarrahea, etc.). She has them so frequently but had never run a fever. Anyway, I am a little braindead at this point after being in urgent care for six hours, but I was shocked at the diagnosis. She had no symptoms except a fever and tiredness. Evidently some kids just don't show the normal symptoms. Plus, she had just finished medication for a bladder infection and her urine tested clear. It only took 2 days for her to develop a new one. They told me that since all tested okay biologically, that I should always assume with a fever that it could possibly be bladder, and we need to work on adding fiber (help with constipation), adding cranberry juice, etc.

Does this help you at all? I guess it just shows that they can happen very quickly.

Good luck!
|

replied March 10th, 2010
kidney infections
my 5 yr old dsughter has a bowel conditionand has had 2 kidney infections in 6 mths. most recent last week for which she is on anti-biotics for. i have been told that the bowel has no connection with the bladder urinary tract but it seems to occor everytime i have to increase the dosage of her medication as sh is on laxitives as her bowel doesn't funcion properly
|

replied April 11th, 2011
My 8 year old daughter has had 3 possible UTI's. I am very confused and frustrated. Two times there have been visible items floating in her urine specimen and the third time there was blood in her urine but only seen microscopically. She has a high fever but the culture alwasy comes back negative and they ask me to stop the antibiotics. What in the world is going on?
Angela
|

replied April 11th, 2011
My 8 year old daughter has had 3 possible UTI's. I am very confused and frustrated. Two times there have been visible items floating in her urine specimen and the third time there was blood in her urine but only seen microscopically. She has a high fever but the culture alwasy comes back negative and they ask me to stop the antibiotics. What in the world is going on?
Angela
|

replied May 10th, 2011
6 yr old with blood in urine
my 6 yr old daughter was going to the bathroom alot to the point where as soon as she gets up she has to go again but hardly anything comes out she does have a history of UTIs but i took her to the doctor yesterday and they said the uti was negative they are gonna put her on meds to stop the frequency of urination but they said she had blood in her urine and told me to wait 3 months after shes on the urine meds then if the problem persists then they would schedule a ct scan im upset because i dont think she should be put on meds to stop the frequent urination and have to wait 3 months for a ct scan i want to know the cause of the blood is in her urine please help if anyone has had this same thing happen
|

replied May 10th, 2011
6 yr old with blood in urine
my 6 yr old daughter was going to the bathroom alot to the point where as soon as she gets up she has to go again but hardly anything comes out she does have a history of UTIs but i took her to the doctor yesterday and they said the uti was negative they are gonna put her on meds to stop the frequency of urination but they said she had blood in her urine and told me to wait 3 months after shes on the urine meds then if the problem persists then they would schedule a ct scan im upset because i dont think she should be put on meds to stop the frequent urination and have to wait 3 months for a ct scan i want to know the cause of the blood is in her urine please help if anyone has had this same thing happen
|

replied August 1st, 2011
I have a five year old daughter with 5-6 diagnosed UTI infections this year with about three more episodes of the same symptoms which came up negative for UTI. She runs a very high fever of 103-104 off and on for days. The fevers spike so quickly that she suddenly starts shivering like crazy and her hands and feet turn ice cold. Antibiotics seem to clear it up but I'm worried about these high fevers, especially since she will start full day Kindergarten in the fall. She was placed on Ditropan to relax her bladder and she takes fiber gummies to keep her regular. These do not seem to help prevent her UTI's. Any suggestions?
|