Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Pain In Index Finger, Not swollen, Hurts with Use

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Since a couple days ago, my left index finger has been hurting....not like a constant pain....just when i use the finger.

If i try to make a fist, the finger hurts, if i hold on to my base knuckle joint hard enough it hurts, and to use it generally hurts...lifting things, anything at all.

The finger is not swollen, i dont think the joint is swollen, at least not that i can see....but the pain is definately there.

The last time i had pain like this, was when i tore a tendon in my right little finger....but that pain was worse....although my range of motion is limited now, in terms of motion without pain.

Can anyone advise me on this? I know i probably need to see a doc....but i just wanted to see what it could be.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Kryssja
|

User Profile
replied December 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Can you remember of injuring your finger recently?
Do you have normal appearance of your index finger?
|

replied January 6th, 2008
Experienced User
yeah, my finger looks completely normal....was never swollen....and i dont remember injuring it in any way.

the pain isnt as bad now....i can use the finger alot more than before, but the pain is still somewhat there....so i guess its going away....whatever it is....i just hope i dont "anger" it.
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Are you experiencing pain as pins-and-needles, prickling or burning sensations?
Have you noticed difficulty gripping objects with the hand?
Do you have some other medical problems?
|

replied January 22nd, 2008
Experienced User
actually, im not experiencing any of those pains, and the pain in my index finger seems to be pretty much gone.....

i think i did tear a tendon or something....cause its been a lot better....and i can function properly now...

thanks for the advice and questions though Smile
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, Kryssja!
I'm happy you are doing better.
When making a fist is painful (soreness is in index finger when making fist) and discomfort is gradual and dull and aching in nature, it's probably the tendon of flexor muscle of your index finger that is inflamed.
Overuse, repetitive motions, injury, strain can be reasons for irritated and inflamed tendon or its sheath.
Usually, by 7-10 days the full activity is resumed (it is important to avoid any activity that is painful).

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied February 9th, 2009
pain in tip of left index finger
i'm having a sharp pain in the tip of my left index finger. it's a very sharp stabing pain right at the base of my nail. The pain then radiets up my arm into my jaw
|

replied September 25th, 2010
hi
i have pain in my rt index finger i bent my finger it becomes more painful.i have this problem for last 3months
|